RefuseToChoose & TeleSummit & Idea Party

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

RefuseToChoose & TeleSummit & Idea Party

Postby BKJackson1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:15 pm

Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place--I wasn't sure if the telesummit posts were just for the short duration of the weekend of it's occurrence or not. Plus my post hits on a few key pillars created by Barbara Sher.

Very recently, like within the last few weeks, I discovered Ms. Sher's book, "Refuse to Choose" and just finished reading it last week. As I'm sure many here have already expressed, it was an eye opener. But I was still confused about how to get direction for my life and decided to attend a few of the tele-summit talks this last Saturday, one of which included the idea party.

As I've stated on my introduction elsewhere, given my druthers, I'd be part-time physical therapist, part time historian/writer (but PT school is completely out of reach financially--plus it does have other drawbacks like being confined to the narrow non-health conscious aspects of our healthcare system).

At Saturday's Idea Party, I tossed out that my passion is to help older adults be as mobile as they can for as long as they can but that I had zero credentials. I work as an Administrative Assistant--not exactly stunning stuff for a health resume. 8-) But it was pointed out to me something I'd given no thought to. Even with credentialing, how many people would I reach (I'm 51 already!) and had I thought about being a writer/speaker on the subject and that no, I don't have to have a lot of credentials.

Let me tell you what has happened since then: In short, I've got the Big Mo going on (momentum). I came away from the tele-summit with my brain buzzing. I've even begun to delve back into my life and think about what kinds of things I've experienced that would be anecdotes for giving talks--something I've NEVER even thought about before. I got confirmation that a Certified Personal Trainer workshop I'd been interested in out of state IS taking place this coming weekend and I'm all set to go so I can explore that angle.

And then TODAY, the most amazing thing happened. I found out that there is a way for non-health care credentialed people to get training to help older adults work on their balance (falls prevention work). Today I put in my request to attend the next training on January 12th! I haven't been formally approved (I'm sure I'll have to jump through hoops) but I'm going to fight hard to make sure I get my training slot. This is amazing!

The work Ms. Sher started and then all the people who have come together to magnify it, like on Saturday has been a wonderful blessing. Of course there's a lot of hard work ahead for me--I've got to keep that momentum going. Do you have any idea how exciting it would be to have variety? I wanna be a hybrid! 8-) I want to dangle my feet in more than one pool! I want be in job(s) where I am not bored/irritated to death! It's so freeing to know that I don't have to just "suck it up and deal with it." WOOHOO!!!!!!!!
BKJackson1
New User
New User

Re: RefuseToChoose & TeleSummit & Idea Party

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:54 am

Hi,

As an older adult with mobility problems, I'd love to internet-talk to you about anything and everything. I'll be going in for a hip replacement soon. I've lived - quite comfortably - with arthritis for about eight years. And then it wasn't enough. It was time to roll out the big guns. (stupid metaphor, but I don't feel like trying to figure out a better one.) Anyway, There are a ton of things to support me. Gadgets, exercises, etc etc. My doctor does acupuncture, chiropractics, and a ton of other stuff besides cutting people open. Anyway, if you want to talk about any of this, I'm interested.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: RefuseToChoose & TeleSummit & Idea Party

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:22 am

Welcome BKJ and thanks for sharing the great news! We hope to hear how it goes in January.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners