Does anyone know of an app

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Does anyone know of an app

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:55 pm

that sends daily messages to people?

There's something I'm trying to do and can't figure out how to: a smart phone app that sends a free daily message to Scanners. (But I never saw an app that did that, so I don't know how to design the message, how long to make it, etc.)

I'm hoping people will show it to their friends who are upset about not picking one thing -- that is: undiagnosed Scanners.

Maybe I'll have an occasional link to the YouTube videos about Scanners at What Do I Do When I Want To Do Everything Barbara Sher, in case they want more. Something right away is so much easier than buying and reading a book first thing. I want undiagnosed Scanners to have an easier time figuring out who they are. It can be a life-changer.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Does anyone know of an app

Postby durentu » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:42 pm

Perhaps twitter can help?

You would create a twitter account and post things (140 character max), and people would subscribe to your twitter and receive the messages on their feed. It's sort of like an email list, but for much shorter messages. People use it to send links to more in depth articles or videos. They shorten the link via something like tinyurl.

Other than that, it would probably be an email subscription.
durentu
New User
New User

Postby solinox » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:36 pm

I second Twitter or Facebook. There are some other services, like Google and Cosi, but they are not as widely adopted. If you post something to Twitter and Facebook, you'll have probably 90% of your audience should they choose to follow you. Add Google and you'll be around 95%.
solinox
New Poster
New Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:31 am

Maybe you're right. I'm trying to get these messages out to the mobile phone crowd. It seems that if you're one of them, and you keep getting insights about Scanners, that you'll not only realize who you are, you'll be more likely to show someone else who is deploring their own 'inability' to stick to things. And maybe they will be more likely to show an item to a critic who is belittling them.

Oh how I'd love that! I'd put it on a Firestone dirigible if I could.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:22 pm

Weather Underground provides weather updates through a notification.
NY Times gives you a notification of the day's top stories (IIRC)
Elevate gives you a daily reminder to train your brain.

So basically, I'm thinking that you can use a notification to spread your daily message.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:27 pm

SquarePeg wrote:Weather Underground provides weather updates through a notification.
NY Times gives you a notification of the day's top stories (IIRC)
Elevate gives you a daily reminder to train your brain.

So basically, I'm thinking that you can use a notification to spread your daily message.

You say 'notification' like it's a thing. is it a thing? How does it work?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby NowIknow » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:45 am

I personally like the instagram, the kind of faded picture as background and alphabet in the middle: a quote from your book. I follow a good quote on IG and like to read them. :)

Send me a link, good NowIKnow, and I'll see if I can sign up too!
NowIknow
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:34 am

Here's a link to a beginner's guide to the Android notification bar:
http://www.beginandroid.com/notifications.shtml

I'm sure that whatever you use for e-mail also gives you a notification.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby solinox » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:20 am

SquarePeg, it sounds like you are suggesting that Barbara develop her own Android app so that she can send notifications?
solinox
New Poster
New Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:10 am

I thought that's what she wanted! Because otherwise you'd just string together FB and Twitter to a blog and post daily on that. Which is what I did. But I'm not young enough to remember how. ;)
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:20 am

Ah hah! It *is* a thing! (What do I know? I have an iPhone.)
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby zogecko » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:34 pm

You could also have an app that has a widget! I don't know anything about iPhones, so I don't know what's possible there ... but with Android, you can have a widget that just lives on your home screen. It can be pretty large, and could contain daily quotes, koans, happy thoughts, support, what have you.

Notifications from apps are useful, but also quickly turned off by fickle users who tire of stuff in their notification bar. I'd recommend contacting an app developer and having some conversations about what's possible for what you want, and what's the best way to get there. Lots of options! :D
zogecko
New Poster
New Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:08 am

Thank you, zogecko! Good idea!
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby aneesmasudi » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:21 am

Indeed, your requirement looks tricky and technical that surely needs to be completed by experienced app developers under the super vision of highly experienced app experts who got hands-on experience over such kinds of app development. Developing your own customized app would help you to get your own desired subscribers that might be helpful for your business.
aneesmasudi
New User
New User

Postby An8el » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:49 pm

I actually have been using an app designed for meditation that can be set to deliver a timed reminder that can be changed any time.
Barbara, I don't really understand what it is you're after...is what you're after something like this...
People on their mobile phones get a "quote of the day" or other such saying that a subscribed content creator can specify and deliver to them on an ongoing, daily basis?
For IOS or Android? Guess it would need to be for both...
OH, I finally looked at the date on this and it was in 2015...
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners