Gardner's 'searchlight intelligence' ?

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Gardner's 'searchlight intelligence' ?

Postby Duncan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:18 pm

Hi,

I wondered if this scanner community had looked at Howard Gardner's notion of searchlight intelligence?

I discovered Gardner's work recently and the idea resonated with me. He describes searchlight intelligence as someone constantly surveying the terrain, sampling diverse forms of information, monitoring many different elements to make sure that no corner is altogether neglected, and to try to piece together a bigger picture.

It struck me that that there are some parallels with scanning and wanted to seek feedback here.

Warmest regards,
Duncan
Duncan
New User
New User

Re: Gardner's 'searchlight intelligence' ?

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:02 am

Welcome, Duncan!

I hadn't heard of Dr. Gardner before now, but as I "scan" briefly through his bio, I recognize his theory as it percolated through pop culture.

Here's a link to his website for other folks who might be interested: https://howardgardner.com/
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Duncan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:54 pm

I'm fascinated by the idea of the ability to discern connections across multiple domains and see the opportunities for cross-pollination. This feels like an innate talent for me, something I naturally do without hesitation. I imagine scanners have this natural proclivity too.

I think it's always helpful when someone labels these things. Dr Gardner's label, searchlight intelligence, is a first for me, I'd never known how to succinctly describe it before.

Do we know if anyone else has described this particular ability?
Duncan
New User
New User

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:56 pm

I think you're right - it's very much something a scanner would do.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners