Introvert looking for new friends

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Introvert looking for new friends

Postby endycool » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:00 pm

Hi all! My name is David and I'm a 33 years old photographer/traveler/designer/.../ ... / ///////////// I'm a scanner.
I've been traveling for the last 3 years and at the moment I've decided to settle down for a couple of weeks, maybe months, in a really small village in Croatia. It's located close to the border with Serbia, it has only 60 habitants and none of them speak English well enough to maintain a conversation... I decided to stay here hoping to focus on improving my drawing skills, set up an online business, and continue learning languages. It's kind of working out, but I'm struggling with the isolation. I'm aware of how weird -and maybe creepy- this request may sound, but I would like to meet more people, especially people with whom I can have conversations beyond the typical small talk. I thought about writing here because I usually find scanners to be really interesting people and maybe more familiar with the struggles of introverts. I don't have a problem socializing, but here the only way to reach out to other people seems to be using dating apps, and I have no interest in playing that game at the moment. I just want to connect with people, share projects, dreams, ideas, daily things...
Questions:
- Do you have any suggestions about how can I meet hopefully interesting people either online or in real life? (No, the village doesn't have a bar, and visiting other villages is difficult due to the lack of public transport)
- Any website to find pen pals? (Oh! I haven't thought about that before. I'll google it!)
- Anyone in a similar situation who would like to... chat or exchange emails? I promise I'm not -that- weird. You can check all my social media beforehand or whatever you need. This is my Instagram profile: https://www.instagram.com/inner.light.leaks/

Any idea?
endycool
New Poster
New Poster

!

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:21 pm

Hi David. Welcome! I don't have any suggestions right away. The internet is full of things that I don't (yet) know about. I hope you're able to find some like-minded people to connect with online. Your living situation doesn't seem like it has a lot of options to meet people in person.

Good luck!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Introvert looking for new friends

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:20 pm

It's not considered creepy to want to meet new people, at least that's what I'm told. ;) And BTW, new moms have this problem, too. They love their little infants, but they get tired of goo-goo gaa-gaa, so they get together with other moms for adult conversation whenever possible.

There's a website called WorkAway that is a sort of Help Wanted site. But the twist is that the "employer" offers room and board and a small stipend instead of salary. It's popular among students who want to take a gap year before starting college. If you have a few spare rooms, you could host one or more people to "work" for you. Perhaps you could use an editor or a housekeeper / gardener. Usually the positions are temporary. My daughter found a job and lived on a farm a few summers ago. She worked with a few others who were friendly and like-minded. She liked it so much that she was able to stay for two terms. And the hosts were really nice.

That's all I have for now. If I think of more, I'll come back.

In the mean time, you're welcome to engage the topics here. Good luck!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby k8k8 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:23 pm

hello.
it is hard.
i like your photography.
what kind of online business are you setting up?
postcrossing.com is a postcard site and you can make penpals there.
apparently we are trying to get these forums active again, so maybe you could talk to people here?
k8k8
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Hi,

Feel free to post here on any topic of your choice. As K8K8 said, we'd love to have more company on these Boards.

As for finding other sites on the Internet - what are your interests? Photography? Something else? I'd google what you're interested in and look for sites where you could comment about it.

As for in-person contact - that's a challenge. According to the Internet, Croatian is one of the hardest languages to learn. And in a remote village, your chances of finding someone who speaks another language is slim (but not impossible) I'd learn a few Croatian phrases - hello, thank you, I'm a photographer, I like your dog, - (You've probably already thought of that.) And a smile and a wave. (not a creepy smile.) You could visit places where people hang out - market - church, if you're a church-goer, long walk through the village. Take photos in public places.

What languages do you speak?

And what are Croatian customs regarding meeting strangers? Are people typically reserved, or do they welcome newcomers?

I looked up your photography. You are quite good. I can understand why you would choose to spend time in a remote place such as a Croatian village.

It sounds as if your problem is mostly one of isolation.

Good luck.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners