binder for a scanner daybook?

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

cshore knitter
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by cshore knitter »

First, I want to join along with everyone else in singing Barbara's praises for R2C. It's the first time that I've been told that not only are all my interests valid - they are valuable - and I'm truly OK the way I am! This book has been like a lifeline to me. My question centers on the selection of my Scanner Daybook. I was VERY fortunate to be able to be in the audience for the taping of Barbara's Refuse to Choose special for public television and listening to her that day set me off on a quest for the perfect daybook. After months of searching I still haven't found anything that speaks to my heart. But just the other day I had a mini brainstorm. I thought that maybe a binder would solve my problem. With a binder, I could collect up all the pieces of paper that had my ideas on them from around the house, punch holes in them and put them in the binder. I could also add any kind of paper I needed at the moment such as graph paper, lined paper, blank paper, etc. But by doing this, am I missing something important by not using a bound book? Maybe I could keep the binder for old ideas and start a bound daybook from this day forward? Maybe I'm just thinking about this whole thing too much? Any suggestions or comments on my Scanner Daybook quest will be appreciated!!

jk
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by jk »

I also think that the binder is the best way to go. You can add all sorts of material to it, use dividers to separate the topics, go back to anything that interests you further later. And if an idea really catches fire you can take out all the material on that subject and make it a whole separate binder. It's much mare flexible than a bound book. In fact I have several shelves full of binders on a large range of topics.

gnubarb
New Poster
New Poster

Post by gnubarb »

I went with the hard bound binder- though I thought like you two...decided that I will paste in the dreams that have collected in other places - scraps of paper, diner menu backs, margins of fav books... I suppose if there becomes a need for a grouping of related subject matter I'll cut them out again and move them to another area of the binder - or label them in some sort of clever way - or create an index with page numbers and the like - or make colored edges or something like it. I am loving my hard bound binder - it is solid, large and useful (like for eating dinner in front of the tv) :-) and it really feels like something...and the pages can't fall out - and it's very official looking. But I certainly respect and support your choice of binder use! gb

DStaub11
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by DStaub11 »

Of course, everybody should do what feels right to them. But I think maybe binders fill a slightly different purpose than the daybook--they're for collecting all the material so you can just throw it in there--but the daybook is for honoring our ideas, which is why she recommends that it be more formal than we're used to. I'm about to start with an extra-large size hardbound sketchbook that I now know has been sitting on my shelf for literally twenty years because it was waiting to be my daybook! Do Mi
Intimate Landscapes in Colored Pencil http://www.domistauberart.com Facing the Text: Content and Structure in Book Indexing http://www.domistauberindexing.com

James Waldron
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by James Waldron »

I went the hardbound route. Something about a bound volume that seems to be more serious than a 3 ring binder to me. I will admit that it is already bursting since I too took all my various scattered bits and pieces and put them into the daybook. I may have to remove some sheets in order to get it to close. Then there are other projects that I know I will just have to reference in the daybook because they already take up 3 ring binders of their own. As gnubarb said, a kind of an index pointing to a single purpose binder, or not, as the idea warrants. And, I think it will be cool to have a note at the bottom of the daybook page saying "for more detail, in depth investigation, collected materials, plan of execution, and results, see separate reference named xxx". Local Costco sells 3 ring binders in bulk. I just carried home two boxes! Thanks, Jim.

Heather Duggan
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Heather Duggan »

I've been using something recently that falls a little between both of these - it looks like it's spiral bound, but you can rearrange the pages. Levenger sells these for a fortune, but I found them pretty cheap at http://www.rollabind.com/
Registered Success Team Leader Portland, OR

paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by paralegalgirl »

You know the coolest thing about doing all this stuff is that it gives the next generation the belief that if they're a scanner, they're not an oddball. They're gifted! My niece has the scanner gene. No one makes her focus on one thing. (I'm there all the time to tell her parents how cool and gifted she is!). She takes art classes on the weekends and has the highest grade in her class in math, and her mom called me yesterday to tell me she got a varsity letter in skiing (she's a freshman). She does all kinds of beading, and I'm kind of encouraging her (on the sly) to go to clothing design school, but her psychology dad I think is encouraging her behind my back to be a doctor. :x PLG

krock
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Scanner that speaks to the heart

Post by krock »

When I read about the scanner daybook, I had a mental picture of the Grimmerie from Wicked! Huge, with thick pages, and full of great stuff. I had trouble finding something that spoke to my heart as well. All the blank books I found were too small and the things that were the right size, were lined paper. So, I opened myself up to something other than a blank book or journal and....while this may sound wierd.... I ended up buying a scrapbook. It's just perfect -- big, with wire rings like a notebook, it's attractive (striped) and closes with a huge black ribbon that you tie in a bow. The actual pages are very thick brown paper that is substantial and great to touch. I just write directly on the pages. Every time I untie the bow and open that big book up it feels like something magical is about to happen (my own Grimmerie!). Best of all, it was only $6.99 at Borders. My point - you may find what you are looking for in the place you're least looking to find it. http://www.paperchase.co.uk/p/0403172/p ... pbook.html

cshore knitter
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by cshore knitter »

Thanks so much everyone for your comments and also for sharing what you use for your daybooks with me. I'm beginning to understand the importance of the meaning of using a bound book - your thoughts on this really helped me. I think the use of an index is wonderful! My day job is in a library so indexes and organization are very important to me and the thought of being able to find something I had written long ago is very tempting! And the rollabind system is fantastic! I only briefly checked out the site but it looks like it may be a real possibility. I love the way you can customize covers as well. I have been lusting for the system in the Levenger's catalog for years and this could be the answer to not only a daybook but a daily organizer as well. The idea of a scrapbook was awesome too. I'm embarrassed to admit that I sometimes teach knitting classes in a local craft store that stocks scrapbooking supplies and I never even thought to check them out. I'll be on the lookout for the book that speaks to my heart and as was mentioned, it could be anywhere! I probably should check my own bookshelves and nooks and crannies as well. Maybe I tucked something away long ago and have forgotten it. Anything is possible in this house! Thanks again everyone for your time and thoughts.

gnubarb
New Poster
New Poster

Post by gnubarb »

I need something to carry around with me during the day (as my wonderful hard bound daybook is toooo big)...to capture the steady stream of ideas that occur during the day - those same ideas that are shy when faced with the daybook. I was thinking of using paper from my planner which is pretty much always with me but someone suggested a moleskin notebook (or that's what I thought they told me). I dug around and found this site...and was very excited to find graph paper ones - my favorite! There are many flavors...including music notebook style, storyboard, sketchbook - Yummy! They are a little pricey but they have a lot of pages! gb

platypus
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: binder for a scanner daybook?

Post by platypus »

gnubarb wrote:I need something to carry around with me during the day (as my wonderful hard bound daybook is toooo big)...to capture the steady stream of ideas that occur during the day - those same ideas that are shy when faced with the daybook. I was thinking of using paper from my planner which is pretty much always with me but someone suggested a moleskin notebook (or that's what I thought they told me). I dug around and found this site...and was very excited to find graph paper ones - my favorite! There are many flavors...including music notebook style, storyboard, sketchbook - Yummy! They are a little pricey but they have a lot of pages! gb
Yes, I have bought the sketch and storyboard ones, although I have yet to use them :oops: . For the artists out there, they're coming out with watercolor versions in the near future.

k8k8
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by k8k8 »

I am wondering about this too.

I have a lifelong love of manuscripts and hardbound books. I would love to learn bookbinding. I would love to buy a beautiful hardbound journal and ornate iron stand to keep it on.

Smaller problem is everytime I get a hardbound journal - fancy or plain - I have a hard time putting anything in it.

Huge problem is that when I eventually do, I can not FIND anything in it. It becomes this amorphous mess that I can not search through without enormous time and effort - and even then I might not find it.
And I have never found a method of organising a hardbound journal as you write in it that seemed to work for me. Like categorised sticky tabs for every page - too many tabs stick together, or pre-deciding sections with the right number of pages - i always guess wrong.

And finally it would require me to rewrite notes from my pocket, which has pros and cons; I might write them nicer, but it would take a lot of time.

Does anyone have any solutions?

SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by SquarePeg »

I do everything online as a blog post draft. The advantage is that searching is extremely easy. The disadvantage is digitizing and getting the stuff uploaded. I should mention that I don't use it that much.

k8k8
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by k8k8 »

I did consider digital, (and have tried to go all-in in the past in my daybook-like attempts i made before i had heard of barbara sher daybooks). i seem to have trouble keeping digital files organised as well. the only advantage is as you mentioned search ability. disadvantage is i find it easier to loose digital files than paper files.

i have basically decided on a dual cake-and-eat-it-too system of digital and paper
- giving me a backup and computer search ability -
printing digital things, and then scanning/photoing everything paper - perhaps into evernote which is the only thing i know of that has the ability to search hand written notes (anyone know of anything else that can do that?). that is assuming it can read MY handwriting which is not certain.

• but that still leaves the decision as to what form the paper will take.
  • which leads to the question of - if the digitised paper is searchable, is it ok that the paper is an unorganised whirlpool or not?
  • also for any practical digital or partly digital system, i need to find the money for a smart phone, phablet, or tablet.

I should mention that I don't use it that much.
how come?

SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by SquarePeg »

"... is it ok that the paper is an unorganised whirlpool or not?"

That's so funny, because "unorganised whirlpool" is a great description of my mind!

Back when I had a tablet, I found Evernote to be a really neat tool. But there were down sides to the tablet:
1. It was bulky and difficult to keep with me at all times. (I actually left it twice on a shopping cart in the parking lot of a grocery store.)
2. It had only a front facing camera, so taking photos and scanning pages was difficult.
3. Lack of WiFi meant that I wasn't able to connect to the Internet as often as I like.

Why don't I use my scanner daybook anymore? I simply don't have the time to indulge in ideas that can't be put to immediate use. I do use my smartphone camera to take photos of interesting text just in case I might have time to review it.