Scanners are fast thinkers who are multi-talented.

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: You asked for it!

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:03 am

paralegalgirl wrote:I've been waiting around hoping to blog a poem :) _____________________________________ This town sticks to my bones It's street too quiet and lonely Closing in on me like dead air The sky is one expansive cloud Claustrophobic like walls This town feels like a ghost town Everyone has left for Hawaii Taking the sun with them Whoever remains here Take a number, a ticket to Greenwood Cemetery A plot to the twilight zone Going out like zombies Trancelike filing to their appointed dates Some exhibit revolt by the size of their bellies Bloated like beached whales And there are cars, cars, cars parked cars, cars in motion speeding back and forth and forth and back in a panic Their panic betrays their calm faces or are they addicted to speed and run by a clock.
Kudos, P! Reading it put me right in the world you describe.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 6252
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 1999 10:01 pm

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:43 am

Longstrider wrote: Has the book come out yet? Sounds like I need it.
Believe it or not, I'm still working on it, though half has gone to the copyeditor already. It will be out in March. But if you want to send me specific questions via email between now (Wed before Thanksgiving) and Sunday night, I'll do my best to answer them. (Go to home page at bottom to send me emails) Wish I could reach Pfeffer. I'd sure love to quote him. Very interesting stuff.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 6252
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 1999 10:01 pm

Postby Jezicka » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:06 am

I thought I'd check to see if I could find a contact for him. I haven't tried the e-mail given on this web page yet but check out the part about the High Rate of Idea Production (HRIP)! This quote especially caught my attention: \"You don't just have these ideas and that's the end of it. The HRIP person wants and needs to express them, try them out, act on them. That is one reason HRIP individuals find limits hard to deal with. Set limits and the HRIP person often can't help thinking over, under, around and beyond them.\" Then I continued on to his 29 question 'test' for HRIP aptitude... He says anything over a 6.5 is high. I come out a 10... :lol:
User avatar
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 1990
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2000 11:01 pm
Location: Arlington, VA

Postby Scenario Thinker » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:19 am

Jezicka wrote:"You don't just have these ideas and that's the end of it. The HRIP person wants and needs to express them, try them out, act on them. That is one reason HRIP individuals find limits hard to deal with. Set limits and the HRIP person often can't help thinking over, under, around and beyond them." Then I continued on to his 29 question 'test' for HRIP aptitude... He says anything over a 6.5 is high. I come out a 10... :lol:
I'll have to check that one out. I took a battery of tests very similar to the Johnson O'Connor tests (Rockport Institute --- the "Pathfinder" book) and one of the tests was high idea flow. Out of all the people that have taken the test (doctors, lawyers, I guess any and all professions where people have wanted to change careers, plus I suppose lots of students), I got a 99th percentile. I asked the guy on the phone if that could be right, and he said, "Yes, of course". I can really see it when I'm working on 3 or 4 posts at once, plus maybe researching something on the internet and even doing some work-work, if I'm at work :). The problem is finding work-work that would utilize that. I'm getting much better at multitasking at work (which is what the corporate world seems to love), but that's only because I've calmed down my psychosomatic distractions (not all the way, but a lot).
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
User avatar
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 7331
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:01 pm
Location: near Chicago

It's obvious

Postby paralegalgirl » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:34 am

Scenario - you need a job like Heather's where you administer websites. PLG
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:24 am

Postby Jezicka » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:40 am

Scenario Thinker wrote:I took a battery of tests very similar to the Johnson O'Connor tests (Rockport Institute --- the "Pathfinder" book) and one of the tests was high idea flow. Out of all the people that have taken the test (doctors, lawyers, I guess any and all professions where people have wanted to change careers, plus I suppose lots of students), I got a 99th percentile. I asked the guy on the phone if that could be right, and he said, "Yes, of course". I can really see it when I'm working on 3 or 4 posts at once, plus maybe researching something on the internet and even doing some work-work, if I'm at work :). The problem is finding work-work that would utilize that. I'm getting much better at multitasking at work (which is what the corporate world seems to love), but that's only because I've calmed down my psychosomatic distractions (not all the way, but a lot).
I just read through the whole web page (http://knacks.esmartdesign.com/index.html) and found out he was a tester for the Johnson O'Connor Institute who got interested in the ways to use the results (rather than just toting up them up and telling people 'you're good at this or that')-- especially as applied to the many talented. (A category he obviously fits into himself.) I sent an e-mail off to the three addresses given. We'll see if he's still reachable at any of them. (I hope so! He also does testing and individual consulting, according to the web page!)
User avatar
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 1990
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2000 11:01 pm
Location: Arlington, VA

Postby dlb.newage » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:50 pm

I'm glad people could benefit from that article. Now if we could just find him. I read every web reference I could find on him - I think he lives in northern California (Berkeley? that would fit!!). Not too long ago, I went back to the Johnson-O'Connor website to see if they had any new research info. One article was interesting. They've kept track of test scores of examinees and their affinity for certain occupations (as tested \"on the standard battery tests\") and corrolated the results. http://www.jocrf.org/research/occupational_plots.html The occupational group highest in \"ideaphoria\" was writer....make sense? (I just realized while creating this message that the aptitudes were of those showing an interest in an occupation as compared to those actually working in it which could take some of the validity out of it...???) I don't know-now I'm getting confused. If interested, read and see for yourself. Just thought I'd offer another tidbit of info!
dlb.newage
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2000 11:01 pm
Location: Cape Cod, MA

Postby Jezicka » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:53 pm

dlb.newage wrote:I'm glad people could benefit from that article. Now if we could just find him. I read every web reference I could find on him - I think he lives in northern California (Berkeley? that would fit!!). Not too long ago, I went back to the Johnson-O'Connor website to see if they had any new research info. One article was interesting. They've kept track of test scores of examinees and their affinity for certain occupations (as tested "on the standard battery tests") and corrolated the results. http://www.jocrf.org/research/occupational_plots.html The occupational group highest in "ideaphoria" was writer....make sense? (I just realized while creating this message that the aptitudes were of those showing an interest in an occupation as compared to those actually working in it which could take some of the validity out of it...???) I don't know-now I'm getting confused. If interested, read and see for yourself. Just thought I'd offer another tidbit of info!
Very interesting! Well, Mr. Pfeffer just responded to one of my e-mails! So the http://knacks.esmartdesign.com/index.html URL is current-- and at the end he lists aptitude testing and individual consulting among his services. In his e-mail he says he's also got materials for a seminar. Hooray! I've been wanting to do the aptitude testing for awhile, actually. There's an outfit here in Arlington that does it, but I was a little put off because a friend who went there had the experience that somebody here, I think, mentioned too-- that is-- basically being told, yeah, there are a lot of things you could do... :roll: Like this is really news to anyone over the age of maybe 15...
User avatar
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 1990
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2000 11:01 pm
Location: Arlington, VA

Postby paralegalgirl » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:23 pm

Scenario Thinker wrote:It often leads to destructive self-criticism or self-hatred--TMAs seem to have a rather high suicide rate.
This is not good news. PLG
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:24 am

Postby Jezicka » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:01 pm

Hank Pfeffer wrote:Ongoing overstimulation could explain the paralysis felt by some TMAs. They are so overwhelmed by perceptions, memories, thoughts and feelings that they can't commit themselves to anything. Many of them need a lot of time alone to regenerate. Yet, this same turbulence can also lead to great insight and creativity. Pecking orders exist in any human activity. TMAs often cause problems to the hierarchy. Most TMAs aren't really motivated (or all that impressed) by money or power. They feel that they are anyone's equal and want to be treated as such--a state of mind that is often seen as a direct challenge to authority and the authority structure. The worst-off TMAs seem to be the ones who try to be normal. This includes using normal definitions of success. TMAs often find it personally destructive to try to fit into normal molds. They aren't normal. Not better, not worse. Different, and with different needs. Not all TMAs are unsuccessful. TMAs seem to function best at frontiers--intellectual, social or physical. These are the places where learning and doing are the same thing. They can operate well at interfaces between different parts of society--liaison and translation. They often do well as troubleshooters, innovators or problem solvers, in research or investigation, and in product or method development. They also seem to do quite well in situations like the Alamo, fighting long odds and staving off the inevitable. TMAs are most likely to be happiest with work that provides a lot of variety, challenge and opportunity for use of diverse talents--usually multi-disciplinary areas. Even then, many TMAs feel that they are underachieving, that they could do great things. And they are usually right. The only thing that can motivate the TMA to focus enough for really high achievement is a value judgment. Money, power and self-aggrandizement don't really motivate TMAs. Only finding something worth doing--by their own high standards--can motivate TMAs to focus enough for sustained very high achievement. Then and only then can the powerful forces of the diverse aptitudes be channeled.
paralegal-- I've highlighted some of the things that struck me about the article-- I must say I had to look long and hard for the sentence you quoted! :shock: I think you are giving us a perfect example of another TMA characteristic he mentions: "TMAs are usually hypercritical, a side effect of high reasoning aptitudes. They notice flaws and loopholes, errors and inconsistencies. They notice that 90% of almost anything is bullshit. They are usually good arguers and can tear just about anything to shreds--including themselves." :wink: C'mon, you're not going to try to tell us you aren't talented enough to learn to 'use yourself well' are you? I think the best clue he gives as to how to learn is basically the same as Barbara's methods: experiment on yourself. See what works. If one thing doesn't work, so what? It's just more information you can use to figure out what does.
User avatar
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 1990
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2000 11:01 pm
Location: Arlington, VA

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:09 am

[quote="dlb.newage"]I'm glad people could benefit from that article. Now if we could just find him. I read every web reference I could find on him - I think he lives in northern California (Berkeley? that would fit!!). Jezicka found his email on his web site, I wrote him, he answered. He lives (in San Diego) and breathes! He seems to be a nice guy, too.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 6252
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 1999 10:01 pm

Postby paralegalgirl » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:14 am

Jezicka wrote:I think the best clue he gives as to how to learn is basically the same as Barbara's methods: experiment on yourself. See what works. If one thing doesn't work, so what? It's just more information you can use to figure out what does.
I've got to print the entire article and read it all. I read it on the screen, and it seemed as though he was listing a lot of problems that "TMA's" had. It sounded like there were more problems that were associated with it than benefits. I related immediately to many of things mentioned. Sometimes my humor gets lost in these discussions. It's not like I'm all of a sudden going to rush to the garage and run the engine. PLG
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:24 am

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:15 am

I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that, P. :wink: Yes, I think lots of people point out the problems (though he does show the advantages, too). It's good to have someone who understands how tough things can be for a person with lots of interests. Makes you feel less lonely. But that's why I love writing this book so much! It flips all those problems over and shows you how to be a happy, successful Scanner who understands how lucky you are, and does great stuff and has a career you actually like! I had no idea I was such a cheerful author!! Because you know me; I don't serve positive thinking for dinner. Not enough nutrients. What Scanners need is techniques and tools and step by step instructions and lots of cool little ideas (and a couple of big ones) to help you actually deliver on all that potential inside you. Fun to write.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 6252
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 1999 10:01 pm

Reply

Postby paralegalgirl » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:04 pm

BarbaraSher wrote:I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that, P. :wink:
Thanks, I am naturally one of the most happy, positive people in the world. Maybe because I am so positive, it's easier for me to get depressed, when people burst my bubble.
BarbaraSher wrote: Yes, I think lots of people point out the problems (though he does show the advantages, too). It's good to have someone who understands how tough things can be for a person with lots of interests. Makes you feel less lonely.
I can only speak for myself, but those times in my life when I was able to use all my interests, I was about the least lonely person you would ever meet. For instance, I made lots of friends in high school as part of the ski club and tennis team. I was also friends with the star of the drama club and used to go out dancing all the time. If anything, I have problems when I compare how great life can be with those times when life is more mundane.
BarbaraSher wrote: But that's why I love writing this book so much! It flips all those problems over and shows you how to be a happy, successful Scanner who understands how lucky you are, and does great stuff and has a career you actually like! I had no idea I was such a cheerful author!!
I'm happy that it cheered you up. I have had absolutely no problem with being a scanner. I used to feel very lucky. I've never attributed my problems to being a scanner, but when I read some of the information that was posted above, I began to wonder if some problems I've had were due to this trait, but that's the problem with some of this research. People will read into it all kinds of things.
BarbaraSher wrote:Because you know me; I don't serve positive thinking for dinner. Not enough nutrients. What Scanners need is techniques and tools and step by step instructions and lots of cool little ideas (and a couple of big ones) to help you actually deliver on all that potential inside you. Fun to write.
I've never thought of you as a positive motivational author like Tony Robbins. In fact, your first book, "Wishcraft", describes a process that is very detailed in terms of setting goals and setting out steps to obtain them. The first self-help book that someone gave me was a book called, "How to get the Job You Want" or something like that. It described a process for setting a goal, informational interviewing, etc. It worked very effectively for me. Within months I began working as a journalist, and within a year and a half an editor from the Milwaukee Journal actually contacted me to come in for an interview for an internship in the "Lifestyle" section of the paper. However, I was also in group therapy at the time with a fabulous psychiatrist and a number of mature women, mainly social workers, so that was very significant. The problem was that the whole process worked too well, and I became somewhat addicted to it and couldn't stop. When I found out I could get what I wanted with a minimal amount of effort, I began to think that I had tossed aside too many dreams prematurely, and I backtracked and began going after them. What I really needed when I had achieved my dream was a roadmap on how to keep the dream and not let it slip through your fingers. Your books are delightful. Even though you don't preach positive thinking, your books are positive and encouraging. They feel like you are right in the room with the reader. I know I speak for everyone here when I say that we are all looking forward to its publication. PLG
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:24 am

Re: Reply

Postby Scenario Thinker » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:20 pm

paralegalgirl wrote:Even though you don't preach positive thinking, your books are positive and encouraging.
I think it's because of the emphasis on the fact that you're OK the way you are, and really don't need to be fixed, you just need to discover what it is that's right for you, with some tools.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
User avatar
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 7331
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:01 pm
Location: near Chicago

PreviousNext

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests