Stuff That Works for De-scattering Scanners

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:20 am

Meg wrote:I've just thought of something else that I've recently found that works for me. I oft times get a panicky feeling when I've been chasing something exciting and it is starting to turn into Serious Work. Feels a bit like chasing a beautiful butterfly to see where it lands and then having it turn into a mad and hungry lionness ... :shock: To calm myself down, and turn the lionness back into a butterfly, I stop chasing it. (Duh! Who would want to chase mad hungry lionness's anyway?) I decide I don't feel like butterfly chasing today and want to go looking under rocks for creepy crawlies instead. Then when I'm feeling better I can go back to butterfly chasing if I want to.
Regarding the change (and the queries after Meg wrote this), this change doesn't always happen because one fears fulfilliment. It's not always an avoidance technique at all. The activity actually changes. It transforms from something creative or investigative into something of a different nature--scholarly or accumulating or something much more tedious than the initial investigation. Being from a good old Puritanical background, we always assume we're doing something wrong when we back up at that point. But no one expected Sherlock Holmes to get the corpse to the morgue and do the forensics. Once he looked things over and had them in his brain, his job at the crime scene was complete. If we stick to what we're talented at, we should stop when the activity changes into something we're not talented at. Maybe that's the lion that showed up. Maybe it's our friend and giving us good advice.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Stuff That Works for De-scattering Scanners

Postby elizagard » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:19 pm

There's lots of good stuff in here. Bumping this up to make it easier for me to find next time.
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Starling » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:32 am

Yes, I found a lot of this interesting too. Thanks for bumping it up. One interesting thing that happened yesterday is that I was reading the book (still in the middle of it) and realized WHY I'm stuck on a couple of my projects. I didn't want to finish the crochet shawl because it is just not for me. I took a good look at it and it is perfect for the child of one of my daughter's friends. She is still not quite adult sized, so it will fit her even though it isn't quite big enough for me. All I need to do is finish the row and put a fringe on it. And I can do that. And then I'm free to find a knit or crochet project that I do want to work on. And the reason the finished quilt isn't bound and the not quite quilted quilt isn't finished is that although I bought the quilt hanger getting it put up is a totally different thing. My husband isn't well enough to do that anymore. Once I recognized that I knew I could finish the two quilts anyway. Will I make another? Maybe or maybe not. I'm a Sybil, but it is possible that quilting is finished for good. I love the binder idea, but I'm going to be doing it on my computer. I'll explain how as soon as I actually have it worked out. Having my scrapbook supplies and the three interests that I've already made "binders" for on my computer has really helped deal with the clutter. The quilting is in a couple of boxes in my sun parlor. The crochet project is in a bag in the living room. In fact most of the suggestions for getting projects into some kind of organized system are things I was already doing, but did not realize that it actually is a SYSTEM until I read the book. Systems descatter as well as declutter. Knowing why you aren't finishing a project will let you finish it in time. All good stuff.
Starling
New Poster
New Poster

Postby elizagard » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:36 am

oops. That's one thing I meant to include- not the Ideal Day (because that doesn't work for a Scanner as you've noticed) but pick any ideal period of time: the Ideal Quarter, the Ideal Year. Barbara Sher
Do other scanners feel that Ideal Day doesn't work for us? I'm a scanner, love the Ideal Day exercise, and do it every few years or so. Are there any other scanners who use that exercise? On the other hand, I never thought of doing an ideal quarter or ideal year and think it's a brilliant idea. Has anyone done the ideal quarter or year? If so, what did you think. I plan to do both of these sometime soon. Elizabeth
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby cshore knitter » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:47 am

I love doing the Ideal Day exercise and actually, my ideal day, at least the outline of it has stayed the same for a number of years. The location I'm in, the people I'm with, and my surroundings are always the same. However, the stuff that I am doing throughout the day changes within a certain group of things that I love to do. Always present are my family, my fiberarts, my dogs, my books, my faith, and the ocean in some way, shape, or form. Guess I'm truly a Cybil at heart!
cshore knitter
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby elizagard » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:05 am

I love doing the Ideal Day exercise and actually, my ideal day, at least the outline of it has stayed the same for a number of years. The location I'm in, the people I'm with, and my surroundings are always the same. However, the stuff that I am doing throughout the day changes within a certain group of things that I love to do. Always present are my family, my fiberarts, my dogs, my books, my faith, and the ocean in some way, shape, or form. Guess I'm truly a Cybil at heart!
It's exactly the same for me. I wonder if the Ideal Day is easier for Sybils than for other scanners? The framework of my Ideal Day from 1999 is more or less the same as my Ideal Day would be today, but the details change. In one, I write books about health, nature, fitness, or ecology. In a subsequent Ideal Day, I am a documentary filmmaker. A dog has moved from optional but desirable to indispensible, because I actually have a dog now.
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Andreya » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:36 am

lol Great thread!

Bumping it up so I can read more of it later! :)

I seem lost among great threads of the past!

The Ideal Day exercise didn't do much for me either, 'Ideal Week' was much better... And I'd probably need to do 'Ideal Seasons' (eg, Ideal Summer, Ideal Spring.. as a lot of my interests and problems are sort of season-related...)
Ideal Day did sort of work originally when I read Wishcraft first, but when I tried to put the plan into work - the seasons changed and running or walks at 11am just became impossible, etc. So I giess it's climate-related and tweakable..
I also realized I need some 'adventures' - ideally weekly or bi-weekly or at least monthly.. So 'Ideal Day' doesn't work for this, as the adventures are usually travelling somewhere for a day and interviewing or having fun..
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby SoniaSimone » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:57 pm

I love the Ideal Day and I've found it hugely valuable, but this gets me thinking that it would be fun to do a bunch of them, maybe in combination with my 6-year calendar.

So an ideal day from 2011 would probably be plucked out of the summer I want to take abroad, and the one from 2012 from that trip to India I want to take, and the one from 2014 from that new company I want to form (I have no idea what it will do, mind you).

I think I may Refuse to Choose any one ideal day.
writer; marketer; senior editor for copyblogger; founder of remarkable communication; parent; meditator; confused and fragile human being. You can find me @soniasimone on Twitter.
SoniaSimone
New Poster
New Poster

Previous

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners