problems with organizing/time management/discipline?

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Postby paralegalgirl » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:41 pm

BarbaraSher wrote:It said the whole topic was gone. Tried it again (for the fourth time) and now it works. Hm. Okay, I'm ignoring til it happens again if at all.
I may have been the culprit. I responded to a post about Barbara's beginning the day with the Silk Trail project. It created a sentimental feeling I had about reading the beloved book, "How to Create the Life You Love in Ten Steps", and I was moved to write about a doll collecting project it inspired, but then I couldn't find my favorite rain coat, and I felt like it was a sign I had said to much. :roll: Hello...earth to Paula. Sorry I erased the post, but I did find the rain coat :) PLG
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:54 pm

Ah, mystery cleared up. Dolls? Tell me more.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:09 pm

I've gotten out my edition of "Live the Life You Love." It's all full of yellow highlights and has sticky tabs on p. 134 and 181. Anyway the doll collection goes back to the exercises in Lesson Five, Exercise Two, "The Shock of Reality." In this particular case, the thing I liked most as a kid was to play with dolls, so I pulled out my dolls and attempted to play with them like I did as a kid (note: I felt ridiculous). Then I did all the exercises and created a deck of cards. Then as a dress rehearsal I went to Disneyworld. I was so inspired by the Animatrons at Disneyworld that when I returned home I took out the dolls and started building my own little museum on the shelf. I went to Toys r Us and bought some dolls. Then I went to visit a doll dealer I had heard about. It turned out he was liquidating his $100,000 collection. I was able to trade some items with him and get some items I had always wanted. Then I kept involved with him as he sold his collection. He had some rare items, and he was selling to Japanese collectors. There was a lady from Chicago who had won a huge lottery and became a collector and dealer. She would come in once a week and spend $3,000. I also talked him into taking me to St. Charles where the big shows occurred. Then I posted lists of his items on Ebay and made a small commission. I continued to collect until it got to be too expensive. I did love it! PLG
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:58 am

That's such a great story, PLG. I might have bought some of them. In order to learn how to use eBay, I spent a month (I think it was about 4 or 5 years ago) bidding on things. For some reason, I picked dolls, though I'd never collected them before. It was an admission that I really love corny, cute stuff. What a month that was! I pulled away like a fallen missionary pushing away drink and have only succumbed a few times since. And I've been strong enough to avoid buying miniature furniture. From eBay, anyway. :oops: Got an idea lately that Scanners should create little shoebox rooms (like I did as a kid) for themselves, one room per interest. I gave it a try but lack the talent/interest so I'm going to write and illustrate a kind of kid's book instead. Maybe I should start another topic for this: Scanners who want to play should imagine one perfect room (or outdoor space) for each interest: cozy places to read or astrolabes, welding equipment or mountains of clay for potting or marble for carving, books books books, whatever. But not just a list, I'd like a description of each room, done with love and longing. Okay, I'll start another topic.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:25 am

Thank you for your reply. I will have a lot to add to your new topic. In the mean time, you might find this interesting. My mom was the person who handed me the tools to develop all my interests. When I was in grade school, she had gone back to school to be an elementary teacher. She often took me to the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. She had a special love for doll houses because her dad built her a particularly unique doll house, which both she and her brother often talked about and lamented that a cousin had stolen it. There was an extremely fancy doll house at the Museum of Science and Industry and exhibit of minatures at the Field Museum in Chicago. At some point she followed my lead and designed a doll house of her own. She was an extremely suburb seamstress and sewed all the minature curtains. I believe she put in an electrical system the way she had seen her dad do it. Then she gave it to my nieces. And now for the over the top sentimentality...she had a copy of \"Wishcraft!\" PLG :)
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:38 am

Wow. Thanks for that lovely story.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:21 am

Your welcome...I have to add just a few lines from my mom's obituary which ran in the "Milwaukee Journal" Friday, May 16, 2003. The headline ran: Maxine influenced all facets of museum "Maxine was a young mother, nearing 30, when she became interested in volunteering at the Milwaukee Public Museum. "She was involved in setting up the docent program here," said Lisa Froemming, a vice president with the museum. "It's actually one of the first docent programs for a natural history museum anywhere in the country." "...In 1999, she was elected an honorary lifetime director for the friends group. "Maxine served with the board for the Humphrey IMAX Dome Theater and was instrumental in the negotiaitons that led to the museum's purchase of the theater. "...She continued to work as a museum docent for 39 years, with a special fondness for its African collection and the masks there." She was so important to the museum that sadly even when the directors knew she was sick, they would still call and ask if she could attend the board meetings. Since she died, the museum has garnered national attention for its financial woes. PLG
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Lucky!

Postby An8el » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:32 am

Sweet - you're so lucky to have had a mom like her! I'm wondering how many of us scanners had an indulgent parent/relative/teacher who, in some ways, gave us some sort of desire to want to do everything and to leave no talent unturned! For me it was my Dad. Because he had me late in his life, he had the time to take me to visit the grownups who were doing anything that I happened to express an interest in. He took me to radio stations when I spent hours talking to the DJs on the radio. He found someone who knew a professional dancer so he could take me backstage before a ballet when I was a five year old ballet dancer. He took me to the opera when I wanted to sing when I was eight. He found me a family with a girl my age who raised Arabian horses when I pleaded every day to have a horse. He took me to Mexico to the horse races when I wanted to be a jockey because I'd read some book. He showed me now to take apart my bike and put it back together, and how many tools people had at the bike shop. He listened when I suggested "improvements" of wanting to make my old big-tired one-speed Huffy into a three speed, and tried to explain it to the bike shop mechanics. He took me to a glass foundry when he caught me trying to melt slumped glass with a hair dryer trying to make the backyard brick barbecue hot enough. Great memories! Thanks for that! Now, if I could just stop procrastinating something I'm already late on that I've made a lot of people wait for... My trick is to tell myself I'm not really "doing it yet," I'm just getting ready to do it. Somehow by getting the tools out and getting ready, I usually get absorbed into the pleasure of doing it. For some reason, that strategy didn't work on this project. I'm having to do the little pieces of paper layout. I can have it done over the weekend if I just DO it...not sure why every once in awhile I put stuff off like this.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:08 am

Thank you for reading my story and replying with your own story. It's funny that someone came over to my house the other night and commented on how eclectic the art and decorating here is. My mom had extremely eclectic taste. I wonder if she imposed that on me, and I wonder if that influenced my being a scanner. I've had some trouble in the past finishing projects too. I have to work hard to stay on task. Presently I'm getting a paralegal certificate. I've been working my way through the program by taking just one class at a time. This is working out well because if I'm having a bad day like yesterday when I'm feeling tired and scattered, it isn't an emergency if I have to do a little less of my homework until I can figure out how to get myself together. Since my mom died, I don't have the emotional support anymore, and my dad will only lend the most minimum support to any project while demanding that I pay him back in some way (which is kind of frightening). Therefore, since he can attempt to sabotage any project at any time, it's all the more helpful to just invest a minimum of time and money, in case I have to drop the project to pursue a job that gives me some financial escape. As I've tried to discuss in the past, I believe these parental and adult influences play a big part in scattering people who already have a propensity to be scanners. Therefore, it's important to come up with some personal methods that help you to work on any project you feel is worthwhile. PLG
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Companionship support

Postby An8el » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:45 pm

Yeah - think part of the reason I'm procrastinating so much right now is that my boyfriend, who was a constant companion, has gone to HI to situate himself to help me when I visit there for two months in June/July. I realized a month ago that maybe I seem to just need someone to hang out with. So I offered a friend of a friend, someone I've always thought who is similar to me in her attitude, to come stay with me. She's great - she has traveled the world doing housework for her hosts! It's been over a month that she's been staying with me, and she gives me someone to help out and hang out with - and she's honest, helpful, very accommodating to the unusual requirements of my landlord and fun to be around. Her work projects take up about an 4X8 area and she's very low-impact as a couch surfer. Plus, she's acquired a boyfriend, so she's not even around all the time. I've asked her for some help, which she's more than happy to offer. So perhaps I can get past this block I've made for myself with her support much faster than slogging around by myself. When I broke up with a ten-year relationship, suddenly I had no support myself. when I got a concussion by falling off a ladder, I realized that I didn't know who to call for help if I needed it! So I made a list of people who I already knew who I could ask for such a thing. It wasn't enough people. My definition of "family" were people to whom I could give to without keeping track of it - and those from whom I could accept, knowing that I was going to have a chance to give back somewhere far in the future, because we were going to be close to each other for a long time. So I decided to "elevate" some of my friends who I was treating more like acquaintances to "adopted family" members. It worked great! I picked two of my girlfriends, observed carefully how they treated their family - and emulated that, which also gave me loads of emotional support. I spent a lot of time with them, just doing things for them - it was great fun. I had the time because I wasn't taking care of my ex's kid family scene anymore, so it was quite a pleasure. Later on, one of them offered to teach me music as a test subject for their new ideas on music theory. What a gas that was! Anyway, my point is that if you need support - look around carefully at the friends you already have. Perhaps someone you already know would love to give it to you, and you just haven't considered them in that way.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:20 pm

BarbaraSher wrote:An odd happening: As often happens, I received in my email inbox the following automated announcement from this bbs: "Hello, You are receiving this email because you are watching the topic, "problems with organizing/time management/discipline?" at BarbaraSher.com. This topic has received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic. http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... 510#165510" As usual, I clicked on the link, and got this response (and still get it): "The topic or post you requested does not exist" I wonder if anyone else had this problem. Looks like a problem for merk!
Jezicka wrote:
BarbaraSher wrote:...I clicked on the link, and got this response (and still get it): "The topic or post you requested does not exist" I wonder if anyone else had this problem. Looks like a problem for merk!
That's what happens if someone posts and then deletes the post before you click on the link. Maybe that's what happened here-- or maybe it really is a case for Merk!
BarbaraSher wrote:It said the whole topic was gone. Tried it again (for the fourth time) and now it works. Hm. Okay, I'm ignoring til it happens again if at all.
Jezicka is right, when someone deletes a post, any messages that have been sent to users for that post become invalid, because the posts keep renumbering as new ones are created. Actually, messages are sent for the TOPICS, but the link reference is to the individual post that was added since the last time the user refered to that topic. Here's what I think happened. Barbara's post: http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... 515#165515
BarbaraSher wrote:An odd happening: As often happens, I received in my email inbox the following automated announcement from this bbs: "Hello, You are receiving this email because you are watching the topic, "problems with organizing/time management/discipline?" at BarbaraSher.com. This topic has received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic. http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... 510#165510" As usual, I clicked on the link, and got this response (and still get it): "The topic or post you requested does not exist" I wonder if anyone else had this problem. Looks like a problem for merk!
Is number 165515, and her link in the e-mail refered to post 165510 but that link was invalid. The post before that is mine: http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... 507#165507 Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:41 AM (Times are CDT) Number 165507. So, somewhere in between 165507 and 165515 was post 165510, AKA the missing post. If I trace sequentially starting after 165507, I get: http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... 508#165508 Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:18 AM Number 165508 is from Joyous1 in the topic The terrifying nature of new relationships... http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... 509#165509 Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:47 AM Number 165509 is from Paralegalgirl in the topic When in doubt, do anything? http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... 510#165510 Number 165510 says "The topic or post you requested does not exist". Since Barbara got an e-mail on this post from the topic problems with organizing/time management/discipline? (this topic), this post must have been deleted. Since it may even have been re-added by the same person, other posts will follow it and use another number in the continuing sequence. Continuing ... http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... 511#165511 Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:42 AM Number 165511 is from MDG in the topic What the "Bleep" Do We Know http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... 512#165512 Number 165512 is another missing post or topic, but unless someone has an e-mail with the topic it was posted to, you can't really tell where it came from. http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... 513#165513 Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:46 PM Number 165513 is another one from me in the topic Is yr boss a corporate psychopath, bully and exploiter? http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... 514#165514 Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:00 PM Number 165514 is from Moviegal in the topic When in doubt, do anything? Then, http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... 515#165515 Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:31 PM Number 165515 is Barbara's post about the missing post in this topic. http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... 516#165516 Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:37 PM Number 165516 is from Tituba in the topic If you could go back and whisper in your own ear....? http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... 517#165517 Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:40 PM Number 165517 is from Jezicka in the topic When in doubt, do anything? http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... 518#165518 Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:44 PM Number 165518 is another from Jezicka in this topic refering to Barbara's post about the missing post. http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... 519#165519 Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:52 PM Number 165519 is from Barbara in this topic about how it said the entire topic was missing. So, as posts keep getting added in various topics, the numbering of them keeps incrementing, but if you delete a post, you lose that number for reference in the e-mails sent to users watching that topic. What would be a good default, is to just link to the beginning of the topic if the individual post number is gone (but, I suppose you'd still want an error message somehow telling you the post was gone). Unfortunately, the topic numbers aren't referenced in the links, so the system would have to figure out which topic it came from. What it could also do is just position you at the next post within the topic, or if it's the last one, position you at the end.
BarbaraSher wrote:Tried it again (for the fourth time) and now it works.
Probably what happened is you clicked on the one in the e-mail refering to the post Jezicka added (# 165518). I'd be surprised if it worked on the one in the e-mail refering to # 165510.
paralegalgirl wrote:I may have been the culprit.
Only if you posted within this topic. It may have been someone else, too.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:43 am

Scenario: You should get tickets to the Madonna concert in June in Chicago. Her hit song goes, "Time goes by so slowly..." PLG
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Reply

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:46 am

paralegalgirl wrote:Scenario: You should get tickets to the Madonna concert in June in Chicago.
I went to Ticketmaster and the only tickets available for Wed/Thu June 14/15 are for $350. I did find $165 tickets on Sunday, June 18. Of course there's a bunch on the ticket web sites marking up $55 tickets to $100+, for example.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:38 am

I'm hoping to go. My brother is working on getting me seats. From the seating chart the $165 seats look pretty good. I've been following a Madonna website, and there was one picture with a wooden cross. I think that it's going to be a disco ball. :) PLG
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

ADD

Postby AntoEvans » Fri May 05, 2006 10:07 pm

I was confirmed ADD - take something for it now. Main problem is absent-mindedness - perhaps that is just something that goes with scannerhood - anyone experience the same?
Invictus
AntoEvans
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners