problems with organizing/time management/discipline?

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

problems with organizing/time management/discipline?

Postby barefootwriter » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:32 am

Can anyone suggest scanner solutions to problems with the above issues? I even had myself tested for Attention Deficit Disorder, but it turns out I'm just gifted (I knew that -- was identified as a kid) and easily bored. In typical scanner fashion, I create new systems, stick with them for about a week or 2, then lose interest. In addition to being easily bored, I tend to eat when I'm bored. *yikes* Any other scanners share these problems? What helped you?
barefootwriter
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby nayad » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:50 am

i pretty much have to schedule by the week. i try to block in general ideas of what i'd like to accomplish over the course of a year, then figure out a rough order of what needs to be done when (i respond to deadlines fairly well, but don't often have any). when it comes down to the details, though, i have to consider which two or three projects can hold my interest at a given time, and plan a week that will include time to work on each of them. i have my own combination of the school day and physician's life design models, i guess! maybe it should be called the "college schedule life design model." sometimes i work by the hour, other times by the half day, and it all depends on the nature of my "assignments" for that week.
nayad
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Jezicka » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:11 pm

I dunno, barefoot-- I'm struggling with this myself. Not that I haven't found things that worked-- sometimes brilliantly!-- for a certain period... And then... :roll: I used http://www.flylady.com for awhile, pretty successfully, and then the book \"Order from Chaos\" by Liz Davenport. I got to the point where I had both home and work life running as slick as a greased pig... And then I got bored. I've looked into other organizing systems-- David Allen, Julie Morgenstern-- read their books with interest-- but was never fascinated enough to get off my butt to actually use them. Ditto Barbara's suggestions in 'Refuse to Choose'. (I do have a Scanner's Day Book, but it's become a sort of catch-all for things that don't quite fit in my journal-- things like practicing left-handed mirror writing, sketching, or more disjointed than usual musings.) The question for me-- and perhaps for many Scanners-- is how, after the initial surge of interest in developing a functional system-- you keep from getting bored and wandering off, leaving all the bits and pieces scattered in your wake. One thing that occurred to me-- and it fits with some of the things Julie Morgenstern says-- is that Scanners probably go through a lot more major changes than most people do. I feel I'm in a very transitional stage myself right now. I'm convinced something's cooking in there, but I have no idea what it will turn out like, or if it will even be edible. And while you're going through major changes you probably can't keep things very well organized-- because you don't know what any of the organizing principles are going to turn out to be. The eating is not so much a problem for me as it used to be. I'm much more inclined to just get out and take a walk when the urge to feed my face hits. When I was working I found it relatively easy to cut down on the snacking once I realized that what I really wanted was just an excuse to get up and move around a little. So I'd go get some water, or even just go out and take a quick walk around the block. So-- no Scanner solutions yet, barefoot-- but hopefully in another few months! :wink:
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: problems with organizing/time management/discipline?

Postby Scenario Thinker » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:22 pm

barefootwriter wrote: ... I create new systems, ...
Thanks kinda me, too. Clue ... create new systems, try them out, make sure they work, train people how to use them ... ON to the next system. :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Fionna » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:04 pm

barefootwriter, May I suggest - The book: Getting things done by David Allen. It is a simple way of organizing what needs to be done. How to do. I have added a twisted to his system. I also associate how much time each plan task will take. This way I will not over plan a day. good luck
Fionna
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby elizagard » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:20 pm

Does everything bore you or just boring things? Are there a lot of things that you do find interesting? What do you find boring? Everything or just some things? For example, I find cleaning, filling out forms, attending long meetings, and listening to something I already know to be really boring. This is what has worked for me: I bribe myself by cleaning for 5 minutes, then doing something fun for 15. It's not a perfect system, but has the advantage that I've been able to keep it up most of the time for a long time. Are your systems too complicated to maintain long term? I call in to meetings every Wednesday. I can walk around my front yard and even pick dead leaves out from under my rose bushes (from the tree above, not the rose bush). This way I get some exercise and don't have to sit all day long. For filling out forms, the only thing that works is the band-aid approach. I just try to do them as quickly as possible. If I have to listen to something I already know, then I read a book. As for the eating when you're bored, I'd avoid keeping any tempting food in your house or easily obtainable. If you want it, make yourself work for it.
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:16 pm

Great answers. I work at home and, when I'm not working on a deadline, I have way too many projects and tasks to do, and way too much freedom. So each day I pick another method of doing everything. 1. Sybil and the Student Model: I start every day (when possible) working on the latest aspect of my fun Silk Road project (during or right after breakfast) 2. The Walkabout: If I have a lot of stuff to put away (unpack from trips, pack for the next one, toss extra stuff now that I'm finished with the book, organize the phones in the house) I do a 'Walkabout,' for a limited amount of time, a number of times during day. (I find this method most entertaining.) I pick up something and carry it to Where It Belongs. If it belongs nowhere, I create a Habitation and a Name for it (a binder, a box, a drawer, a shelf, under my bed, etc.) When that's complete, I look around, pick up something else that's in the wrong place and walk it to where *it* belongs. Then I pick up something there and take it to the right place. It's fun, it's unstructured enough to avoid waking my rebellious inner scanner, and I can actually see things straightening themselves out. 3. Ratcheting via the Clock Timer: if there are simply too many things to do and I want to do them all right now, I set the timer for 15 minute segments and use the system of Ratcheting everything up one notch. I have to have an ending point (that 'ding' when the time goes off) or I stray, wander, founder, turn slowly in circles until I sink. 4. Setups: when I feel resistance to taking on a project, I use the Setup system. Unlike the stuff above, the Setup is explained in detail in the book, so I won't write it up here. 5. Toss 10 Things: This is described in Live the Life You Love (Ch 4, I think, called 'Clear the Decks for Action.') Just stand anywhere and get rid of 10 things. Or don't even stand anywhere. If you're doing something (burshing your teeth, scrambling eggs, staring at the computer or the TV) just do it whereever you are. 6. Work right to left, or on horizontal surfaces: Select a path (like a circle around a room, beginning at the entrance) or a clearly defined space (the top of your bed table or dining room table) and just work your way through it until that place is emptied of the stuff that doesn't belong there, or cleaned, or whatever you wanted to do with it. 7. Sort papers while watching TV. Great way to assuage guilt and avoid boredom of most TV time. (All of this stuff is in a Clutter article I wrote that will be coming out shortly.) (I had some other good ideas in my Real Simple article from last year--can't remember most details about which issue.)
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:22 pm

I've been learning a lot from Barbara and from Heather. Now I'm keeping miscellaneous projects in a binder which I carry around with me. I have graphs with headings listing my projects for the day across the top and the days of the week running down the graph vertically. I fill in the squares with things I accomplish as the day goes along; then I report in to Heather at the end of the day. I'm supposed to be sitting through a sedar. 8) PLG
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby duckie » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:34 am

Maybe your system is to rigid? I used to have a system where I would split my workdays into half - 50% spent on my personal project - the remaining 50% on client work. This would work great for approximately 1-2 weeks - then I would become so bored and frustrated that I just could not take it anymore. I would blame this on two possible factors - either my personal project wasn't the "right one" after all - or my system was faulty. Now I have come to realize that the system itself is perfect - the only problem has ever been the fact that I have been trying to limit myself to only ONE personal project for life. Although I prefer to only focus on one project at a time - I can only stay interested for about 1 week. So my solution is to try starting each week by setting a one week goal on one of my personal project. It can be any project AS LONG AS IT IS SOMETHING I FEEL TRULY MOTIVATED TO DO RIGHT THEN AND THERE - and as long as it is realistic that I will be able to finish it during a week. My big payoff is starting something new - although I keep coming back to the same old interest over and over (Sibyl) I just love the feeling of a fresh new project AND I love finishing it - a feeling I have robbed myself of several times by making my projects too big and long term. I really HATE to pick up the pieces of a project later on just to finish it. It is like eating stale old food just to clear your plate. By making each project small enough to fit into a single week I can get both the rush and excitement from a new project and the satisfaction of finishing it too! The best part is that I can do great big projects too - as long as I split them up, like making one painting at a time. The drawback is of course that I can't decide up front when I will be ready for an exhibition - I will have to do each artwork only when I feel truly motivated. This means that I might take some time before I get a show ready but I will get to have fun all the way. The same process can be used for writing books.
duckie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Remembering

Postby elizagard » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:02 pm

I have a small purse that slings across my body so that I don't forget somewhere in a bookstore, lunch place, and so on. I now carry a backpack with my laptop to and from work. I found it much more difficult to keep track of two bags instead of one. I forgot my purse a few times either at work or home. So, I started hanging it on the back of my front door (locked of course). I can't miss it. Since then, I haven't forgotten it. For work, I keep my keys in my purse, so I need them to unlock my computer and get home. At home, keys go in a bowl on a shelf near the door. No more last minute hunts for where they are hidden. I also keep a spare house key in my wallet.
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Disorganization, planning help, time schedules

Postby Dee46551 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:27 pm

Looking for more links? Try this one, you'll be surprised by all the discussions... Time Eaters - procrastination, fear, disorganization, etc http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... &highlight :)
Dee46551
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: problems with organizing/time management/discipline?

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:41 am

Scenario Thinker wrote:
barefootwriter wrote: ... I create new systems, ...
Thanks kinda me, too. Clue ... create new systems, try them out, make sure they work, train people how to use them ... ON to the next system. :)
aka 'L.T.T.L' : Learn, Try, Teach, Leave. I love it.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:31 am

An odd happening: As often happens, I received in my email inbox the following automated announcement from this bbs: \"Hello, You are receiving this email because you are watching the topic, \"problems with organizing/time management/discipline?\" at BarbaraSher.com. This topic has received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic. http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... 510#165510\" As usual, I clicked on the link, and got this response (and still get it): \"The topic or post you requested does not exist\" I wonder if anyone else had this problem. Looks like a problem for merk!
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jezicka » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:44 am

BarbaraSher wrote:...I clicked on the link, and got this response (and still get it): "The topic or post you requested does not exist" I wonder if anyone else had this problem. Looks like a problem for merk!
That's what happens if someone posts and then deletes the post before you click on the link. Maybe that's what happened here-- or maybe it really is a case for Merk!
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:52 am

It said the whole topic was gone. Tried it again (for the fourth time) and now it works. Hm. Okay, I'm ignoring til it happens again if at all.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners