Scared or Lazy?

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Problem with television

Postby Floridagal » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:50 am

[quote="BarbaraSher"] But most of the time I just sit there in a state of growing horror and disbelief as I go from Channel 1 to Channel 155 or something, and then start over because I can't believe there's NOTHING, NOTHING, not even some stupid movie I saw before, pap, mush, anything--and I keep switching those channels and time passes...oh God. It would be better for the brain to be on a farm shoveling wet chicken...well, never mind. quote] Do I ever agree with you, Barbara! :lol: and, after watching nothing of real interest, I feel that the evening was a complete waste, which it was. I'll take your challenge and start a new link. Back soon.
Florida gal "Every artist was first an amateur." Emerson
Floridagal
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Link to NO Television challenge

Postby Floridagal » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:01 am

Here's the link on success stories about my challenge of no television for 10 days. http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=18449 Anyone want to join me? :)
Floridagal
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Alexia » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:46 am

I never had any trouble with watching TV. When my husband and I lived in London and then Ireland he insisted on having TV to watch News and Sport - he was quite addicted to both. I was bored out of my mind with everything I ever saw on TV - most of it seemed to be devised for total cretins. So, when my husband died, one of my first jobs was to unload the TV. A local hospital indicated that they'd be pleased to have it; it was duly collected, and I almost cheered as it was carried out of the apartment. Over the years I have derived a lot of pleasure from getting rid of things I don't want/need. But this was a very big high in my unloading experience. Alexia.
Alexia
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

No Television Challenge

Postby Floridagal » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:45 pm

The link and discussion about television is now at: http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... 013#173013 What has been interesting are the people who have suffered with a family member who is addicted and how that has contributed to the ending of a marriage. Sad, but true. Please join us, either in the discussion and/or the challenge.
Floridagal
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Scared or Lazy?

Postby elizagard » Fri May 06, 2016 11:20 am

Hmm... I still have some of the same concerns.
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Scared or Lazy?

Postby elizagard » Sat May 14, 2016 11:03 am

It's hard to believe that it's been almost ten years since I first wrote about in the original posts. The year after this I met three of the people who replied at the first Scanner's retreat in Corfu. Where does the time go? I guess I'm feeling that while I have enjoyed dabbling in these activities from time to time, I've never really achieved a mastery or level of competence that seems good enough. I do these activities off and on and it's hard to see any progress. I realize that this is a common problem with Sybil scanners and that I need to set some intermediate goals, but I find it difficult to do so and end up getting frustrated. I'm generally good at problem-solving so why is this so difficult for me. I no longer have a job that drains my energy, so I do have an opportunity to do more now, but I feel as though my time gets frittered away. Much of the advice for scanners focuses on career, but I'm really just interested in learning and improving my skills.

Here is my progress report on the interests I talked about so long ago:

TV - I still watch travel shows and Nova sometimes. Until recently, I was watching a fair amount of daytime TV (cooking/health) on my TIVO but got bored. I got married a couple years ago and my new husband is a fan of anime (he likes the complexity of some of the long-running series). I like the more artistic movies such as Ghibli and Josei or slice of life series such as Nana, Mushishi, or Kids on the Slope.

Spanish - I get an opportunity to speak a little bit of Spanish every couple weeks and do okay. I did the Duolingo Spanish course but went through the lesson "tree" fairly fast - about 2 1/2 months. I've been meaning to get back to that this year, but now the year is almost halfway done. I tried reading Harry Potter in Spanish, but it was pretty tough going because my vocabulary is fairly limited especially for past tense verbs. I had to look up lots of words (although I try to do this with a Spanish only dictionary). I tried taking a Spanish class before that but the place seemed fairly disorganized, so I didn't pursue it. There's another place that may be better. I'd like to go to Mexico at some point to take an immersion class for a couple weeks.

French - I did the Duolingo French course right after Spanish and maintained the tree for a while when I started Dutch too (but didn't finish that one). Then, I started Alliance Française classes nearby. First, I took a literature short story class last summer. All of the other people in the class (about 6) had been taking it for ten years! Except for summer (when some are on vacation), it's almost impossible to get in. The class was very hard because we had to read aloud and I make a lot of pronunciation mistakes. I took another grammar review/conversation class from the same teacher, and again I became discouraged by having to read aloud (stories I'd written). At that point, I took a few private lessons to work on my pronunciation, grammar, and just general feelings of frustration.

We went to France for about 10 days after that, and I did okay but still often felt frustrated. I did get some chance to speak French in shops and restaurants. However, sometimes people would switch to English (even when I was buying books in French but to be fair I was confused about the chip card). They did this a lot at museum coat checks. I was super happy towards the end of our trip in Paris when one guy at the coat check told me in French, "No, we don't take scarves as you well know." It felt like a victory that someone assumed I knew anything. I did sometimes have trouble understanding what someone was saying at first. It took a few seconds for it to register and by that time, I got the switch. Since I've come back, I've not taken any more French classes. Partly, I felt discouraged. If no one is going to speak to me in French even in France, then why bother? :bash:

art- Sadly, I realize that I've not done any watercolors in ten years, but I've taken a few drawing classes in the past ten years. The first was a five day workshop at Esalen (Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain), but I don't remember if that was before or after my post ten years ago. That was a good class and I learned a lot. Another was travel drawing where we went around to draw people at cafes once a week. That class was frustrating because people keep moving or want to see what you're doing and the teacher didn't really teach anything "just draw what you see!" Another was a botanical drawing class at Filoli. That was both good and bad. The teacher was a good artist but not a great teacher. However, learning about the plants was interesting (albeit using an out of date classification system). I'm debating whether to take a drawing class or math/algebra class this summer. I took an all-day stained glass class and loved the glass, but not all the toxic substances involved. I'm going to try glass mosaic instead.

music - I took private piano lessons for about a year. It was fun but I probably didn't practice enough. I liked to learn music that was already familiar because then I could tell by ear if I was off time or hit the wrong key. I liked show times and my teacher liked classical, but we both liked the Beatles. Their harmonies are just beautiful. I'm still not great at reading music but did have a music theory class at one point. I've messed around a few times on my keyboard (and now have more room for it), but would like to take lessons again. I used to do chorus and took a singing class once, but haven't done much. Sometimes, I wish that I could play and sing with other people - not a big group but wish I knew about harmony. Now, I mostly just listen to music at home. I did have someone give me a turntable and a bunch of records, so that was fun until my receiver broke (need to fix it).

cooking - Both my husband and I cook, but sometimes I feel stuck in a rut. Also, I've become gluten-free at the insistence of my doctor (not some fad), so that's changed what we make somewhat. I gained weight after an injury (tendonitis which is much worse than you might imagine). However, I've now lost about 18 pounds and have about 20 more to go.

exercise - I still do hiking every once in a while, but had to do less when my foot was bothering me (about a year and a half). I'm still fairly slow so usually go alone. I've been rollerskating sometimes too which is fun, but no ice skating. I tried to swim but hurt my shoulder.

Then, I have new interests too, but that's another story. I've tried doing the school day model but am by no means consistent about it.
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Previous

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners