Scared or Lazy?

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Postby elizagard » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:09 am

Britta wrote: concerning the issue of "not doing enough". This seems very familiar to me, but my friends keep telling me I do so much even if I think I don't. So two extra classes in the evenings probably including homework does not sound like so little to me.
It's true that I do more than a lot of people. The French class involves a two-hour commute each way! But it's difficult to find advanced classes closer to home. I have been doing my homework on the train up. The Spanish class hasn't had any homework which is quite nice. We just do a lot of repetition in class.
concerning " not watching TV so much" or similar. Find out what you want to do instead of trying to get away from the coach and TV and focus on that. Like I want to do watercolor drawings. Then maybe if another class is just too much, you could for the time being chose a smaller goal, like plying around with watercolors a little (like 5 or 10 Min's) every day.
It takes at least 5 or 10 minutes to set up for watercolors, and that doesn't count time required to clear off my dining table! And then there's the cleanup, so I get discouraged before I start. I might try drawing again. I wish I could do quick travel sketches of new places. And for piano, I really need a decent keyboard. I found one recently at a good price but still don't know where to put it. My house is very small and extremely over run with books.
Another idea would be put it in your calendar for September or another later month and make sure you that's when you will have the time. Hope this helps
It does help. I've started doing this a little with the 6 year calendar, but think I have the time sickness that Barbara has talked about. It's hard for me to judge when I will have time or how long things actually take.
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Jezicka wrote:Eliza-- I don' think you're either scared or lazy. It's funny reading this thread-- it's clear we're all scanners here! :lol: Only a scanner would think she was doing too wa-a-y little by holding down a full-time job and only taking a couple of classes on the side! And only another scanner would think that this 'lack of energy' could be a sign of depression! I have this feeling a lot myself-- day to day I think, "I haven't been anywhere in months, all I do is work, I haven't written anything or started that dancercise class I was thinking about, or taken that wild edible plants class... I'm not getting anything done-- I'm in a funk!" But looking back over the last year I see: a certificate in desktop publishing, a trip to Sedona, the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff and the Indian Reservations, a first draft of a novel mostly complete, a couple of web pages done, two public access television classes taken and bunch of volunteer camerawork done... I think it's an 'occupational' hazard for scanners. However much we do it's just a drop in the bucket compared to all the things that excite us and that we'd like to do!
I couldn't agree more.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Scared or Lazy?

Postby moodle » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:03 pm

oh dear. I could be writing this post. I agree with Jezicka, what seems like "not enough" to us scanners would overwhelm most "normal" people!!! If this makes you feel any better, up until recently, here was my weekly attempted schedule, in addition to a full time job: M: off or get together with friend, running T: Swordfighting or artist way group W: martial arts class and work on websites, running T: horseback riding F: more martial arts or get together with friend S: website work, running S: get together with friends any downtime (read, not otherwise engaged in physical activity or work), is spent either reading, engorging my brain on information on the internet, or watching science shows on TV. I recently had to cut back to "only" three events a week, and i STILL feel like I'm not doing "enough." I end up feeling that if I'm not learning, producing or DOING something all the time then I'm somehow a "loser." I'm sure I'm alone in this. *wink*
moodle
New Poster
New Poster

Postby mango » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:48 pm

Hi, I've had good luck dealing with this problem using the 150 Steps thread under Success Stories. I used to think that I never accomplished anything and that I must be lazy. Then I started logging my daily steps toward my goals, and what a difference it has made! First I noticed that I actually do a lot of things. Then I noticed that I get even more done (especially directed work on my goals) when I log my steps for everyone to see (and when I pick an exciting goal - that took me several months). Now I think of myself as energetic! Oh, and I gave up television a few years ago. Now if I want to watch something, I have to rent the DVD. What a time saving strategy! Suddenly an entire evening doesn't vanish in the blink of an eye. :)
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:19 pm

That's an amazing result, Mango! Applause to whoever thought up the 150 steps! Did someone ever start a topic about staying away from TV? If not, we probably should do something like that in Success Stories. Just an experiment to see how long you can keep away from it and how it feels, what results occur. I don't mind flipping channels when my brain has fizzled at the end of the day if I find some good pieces here and there (History Channel, Independent Film Channel, Nova, etc.). It's kind of fun to stumble on interesting stuff I didn't know existed. But most of the time I just sit there in a state of growing horror and disbelief as I go from Channel 1 to Channel 155 or something, and then start over because I can't believe there's NOTHING, NOTHING, not even some stupid movie I saw before, pap, mush, anything--and I keep switching those channels and time passes...oh God. It would be better for the brain to be on a farm shoveling wet chicken...well, never mind. Experiment anyone? Renting DVDs is okay. Watching Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert on the computer is okay. If someone will tell me who Keith Olbermann's Worst Persons in the World are, I think I could do it. 10 days? If anyone wants to do it, start a topic and bring the link here. I think I'd like to give it a try. (But you need more character than I have to actually initiate it.)
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jezicka » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:24 pm

BarbaraSher wrote:Did someone ever start a topic about staying away from TV?
I think there have been several-- but here's the one that came to the top in a search: http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=11643&highlight=television
Get Barbara Sher's quotes on mugs, T-shirts and other goods at http://www.cafepress.com/handsonhips All profits go to support Barbara's non-profit Kilim Women project in Turkey!
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby AthenaCat42 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:15 pm

Shudder. I've tried doing the no TV thing (or only watching something on DVD), and that sure didn't work for me. (But maybe that's cuz with chronic pain I spend so much time lying on the floor, otherwise staring at the ceiling, which gets VERY boring after a while.) I do have the TV on when I exercise or when I'm doing something that only requires a smidge of my attention, turning it off when I need to focus. I did no TV for about 6 weeks and realized it'd be better for me to cut back on food than give up the TV. But then again, I lived alone & have chronic pain. With constant companionship & a fully operational body, who knows? I agree what a lot of people have said about scanning, and before even knowing of the 150 Steps years ago I started my own way of tracking my activities & to do list. Even on days I didn't think I got much done, it often times was amazing to see what I actually DID accomplish. Yeah, there are days I get nothing done (due to pain), and it still challenges me to be commited to taking a whole day off to do nothing but rest and/or play (no work??? no action?? no activity???). It's tough to just rest when there's so much I want to do, but I know getting some down time gives me the energy for the next week. I used to get caught up too in what I wasn't getting done (still do to some extent with my business) but with the "fun stuff" I learned to do the "big picture" - with 90+ years of life, as Howard Jones says, "Don't Live Your Life in One Day". Do one thing this month, another thing next month, or next year. Eventually you'll be able to do everything. Maybe you are TIRED. Scanners I know seem to get tired a lot and are puzzled by it because they're just going, going, going, in 16 directions all the time, from the moment they get up until they go to bed. All of a sudden they're feeling tired and lazy and "don't know why". I remind them they've been doing 16+ hour days for over a week, makes sense they'd be tired. But they're having so much fun with what they're doing, they forget.
AthenaCat42
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

TV

Postby Britta » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:35 pm

Hi everyone, I don't know how to link a thread as Barbara suggested, but I have some advice on stopping TV- time. Make it as difficult as you can. I found out that I can either watch or not watch, but for some still unknown reason I cannot watch for a limited time. I start and in the blink of an eye its midnight. I ignore any acoustic signal to stop me. I stopped twice and I hid the cables connecting the TV at different places in the cellar. (I tried closer places but they were to easy to reach). A friend of mine actually put the TV in the garage. It worked I think because it was so difficult to turn it on, that it was not done automatically. While getting the cables, I had enough time to ask myself whether I really wanted an evening in front of TV. Normally I didn't even go downstairs - too much bother-- but if I did I normally would not bring the cables. (I'm human so I occasionally missed out ;-). My husband has a TV and it is in a closed cupboard in his room. Dangerous, but fortunately new technology that I will not try to figure out how to run. After 5 years (September 2001 I turned it on to watch news and left it on for 4 months -- dreadful). Stopped again in Feb 2002. I tried again to watch sensibly a while ago, but no way. All tips on maintaining a healthy dealing with it welcome.
Britta successteamleader, saved Scanner, physician, trainer for happiness, coach, clown www.brittahilse.de
Britta
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:53 pm

AthenaCat42 wrote:Shudder. I've tried doing the no TV thing (or only watching something on DVD), and that sure didn't work for me. (But maybe that's cuz with chronic pain I spend so much time lying on the floor, otherwise staring at the ceiling, which gets VERY boring after a while.) .
Want to borrow some of my Teaching Company audio classes? The Romantic Poets? Physics for the rest of us?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:56 pm

with 90+ years of life, as Howard Jones says, "Don't Live Your Life in One Day". Do one thing this month, another thing next month, or next year. Eventually you'll be able to do everything. Smart cookie! Who is he? Is that the name of a book he wrote?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Britta » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:18 pm

Howard Jones UK musician - Life In One Day is a song link: http://www.asklyrics.com/display/Howard ... 322147.htm sorry about the format LIFE IN ONE DAY Howard Jones The old man said to me Said don't always take life so seriously Play the flute And dance and sing sanctuary and enjoy the here and now The future will take care of itself somehow The grass is never greener over there Time will wear away the stone Gets the hereditary bone CHORUS:Don't try to live your life in one day Don't go speed your time away Don't try to live your life in one day Don't go speed your time away The old man said to me Said you can't change the world single a glass enjoy the scenery Pretend the water is champagne And fill my glass again and again While the wolves are gathering round your door Time will wear away the stone Gets the hereditary old man said to me Said don't always take life so seriously Play the flute And dance and sing your song Try and enjoy the here and now The future will take care of itself somehow The grass is never greener over there Time will wear away the stone Gets the hereditary Bone tried to live my life in one day Don't go speed your time away bit off more than I can chew Only so much you can do Wolves are gathering round my door Ask them in and invite some Morie tried to live my life in one day Don't go speed your time awayDon't try to live your life in one day
Britta successteamleader, saved Scanner, physician, trainer for happiness, coach, clown www.brittahilse.de
Britta
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: TV

Postby Jezicka » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:47 pm

Britta wrote:I stopped twice and I hid the cables connecting the TV at different places in the cellar. (I tried closer places but they were to easy to reach). A friend of mine actually put the TV in the garage. It worked I think because it was so difficult to turn it on, that it was not done automatically.
Britta-- that's funny-- I do the same thing with computer games! The first thing I do when I get a new computer is take off all the pre-installed games. And I've had to hide my Sims CD. :wink: Sooner or later I know I'll break down and buy a copy of one of the expansion packs-- and then I'll disappear into Simworld for another 3-4 months. :P I always figure something's going on on some subconscious level when I do that. Maybe I'm working something out-- or, as Athena says, just need a rest. When I'm really ready to stop I'll find some way to wean myself off of it again.
Get Barbara Sher's quotes on mugs, T-shirts and other goods at http://www.cafepress.com/handsonhips All profits go to support Barbara's non-profit Kilim Women project in Turkey!
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:28 pm

All admiration and praise for the 150 Steps idea goes to Heather Duggan! :D
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:07 pm

Thanks, Britta! Nice. I know some people I'd like to send those lyrics too--or does everyone but me know them already? :-)
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby elizagard » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:40 am

I have this feeling a lot myself-- day to day I think, "I haven't been anywhere in months, all I do is work, I haven't written anything or started that dancercise class I was thinking about, or taken that wild edible plants class... I'm not getting anything done-- I'm in a funk!" But looking back over the last year I see: a certificate in desktop publishing, a trip to Sedona, the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff and the Indian Reservations, a first draft of a novel mostly complete, a couple of web pages done, two public access television classes taken and bunch of volunteer camerawork done...
I have been feeling as though I haven't accomplished anything. I did get a new job. I didn't take any trips (except to help my mother) because layoffs were looming. I did take ice skating, piano, Italian, Spanish, and French classes, but I don't really feel as though I have anything to show for it. I haven't done any novels, drawings, paintings, or web pages. I was reading RTC again yesterday and realized that I hadn't really defined what I wanted to get out of these classes. So here goes: Ice Skating: This was partly to get me out of the house, and partly to get some exercise during the rainy months early this year. I used to rollerskate all day long for years as a teenager. So, that makes it easier and I ended up in an advanced workshop. I only had lousy rental skates at the time, so it was rough trying to improve. I bought some very expensive custom skates, which I have not picked up even though they've been done for a while. Maybe I'm thinking of it as more a winter thing, but it might be nice to cool off. In any case, I don't really have a goal. Piano: I bought an inexpensive roll up piano and practiced on my own for a while with a book. Then I took a group class. I've found a keyboard on sale at a good price. There are not lots of bells and whistles but the keys feel real. It did feel good when I played the Saints Go Marching In and sounded like a song. I like the order of it all if that makes sense. I guess I'd like to play songs that I like from artists like Stevie Wonder and Sarah McLaughlin. Anyway, I have to run off to work, so I'll finish the list later, maybe tomorrow. This is good for me to think about. Elizabeth
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners