SCANNER TELECLASS, JULY 22, 2007

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

SCANNER TELECLASS, JULY 22, 2007

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:33 am

This is where we will continue our 2PM (ET) call today. Getting it ready in advance.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

In advance

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:59 am

I took some notes while reading the letters from the people I hope to work with today so let me put them here (since I never remember to read notes when I'm working with someone, I just listen hard and stare off into space). (I sure hope you've all read REFUSE TO CHOOSE. I don't want to use our time to show you something that's in the book already. Rather do more specific stuff with each person.) (We won't be able to get to everyone, I'm sure, so maybe these will be helpful to #3, 4,5.) Suzanne: 1) Too many ideas? Use the Scanner's Daybook (starts on pg 11) 2) Don't get stuff done3? You need a blockbuster day. You can do one on your own, via Instant Messaging or contact John Williams from my last October Scanner's Retreat who has it all set up. (Personally, I like working his way best. Someone to make sure nobody slips through the cracks.) Rebecca Go to pg 269 and find (and re-read) the following: '15-Month Goal Calendar,' I don't see 'Quarterly Creative Project' there and don't have time to look it up right now. Whoever remembers where it is, tell us, and if it's somehow unfindable, I'll explain it again. And look up 'Sybil' in Part II for The School Day Model for some of those interests. Re: the part of your list of projects that's administrative (medical records, harts, research papers to be filed, etc.): HIRE SOMEONE. Never do something that someone else can do. Can't afford them? Get a one-day job and give them the money. You'll save time. Re your piano: Teach your grandkids, since they're visiting and you play it then anyway. Preparing to teach others is at least (probably more) beneficial to the teacher than to the students. Prob: Make getting some steady income your priority. Don't assume you have to take a disgusting job. That's almost never necessary. Try Income Streams so you won't get bored. Also try training the trainers, so you don't get bored. Oh, drat! It's already time to call in. Well, I'll return here and finish after 3:30PM Especially Sharon and fiber arts (when are you going to my place in Turkey? Robin, the person before you, lives in Istanbul and might be intetested in helping :-) Specialize in weaver non-profits. I will probably lose my 501c3 status because I've paid for most of it myself and came in 18% below the necessary public funding. To become a private trust is not for me, so I may turn into a small business. I wouldn't mind a consultant :-) Hope I get to Lisa; it would be a great chance to have everyone hear the Jet Clarity process. But, if not, go to I COULD DO ANYTHING IF I ONLY KNEW WHAT IT WAS and look in the index. Okay, calling in now.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Today's class

Postby abscanner » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:34 pm

Barbara - thanks so much for the class today. I wanted to follow up on 2 topics: Have you had any feedback from people successful with the LTTL approach? I love it, but am looking for ideas to use within companies Managing demanding jobs - any ideas on creative ways to offload work without "getting caught" Thanks!
abscanner
New User
New User

resistance

Postby MingLeung » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:37 pm

Can a scanner address his/her own resistance? You had mentioned during the call that you were going to demonstrate resistance work with a caller who didn't get on the call. What were some take-away lessons or other resources you could share? Again, thanks so much. I felt heard and it did make me tear up several times.
MingLeung
New User
New User

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:40 pm

Re offloading, it doesn't have to be a clandestine project, just find assistants or mentor upcomers to give extra work to and justify it by telling the boss you're developing something very exciting and the work load is getting too big -- because you're so productive. And, if you can, actually develop something very exciting. Or tell them that if you retire one of these days, you don't want to leave them in the lurch, so you want to train some people to do part of the work. (Don't train them, just give them the work and answer their questions. And don't be ashamed of that kind of 'training.' That's what they do at MIT! No instructions, just a project and you're on your own. (Read 'The Idea Factory' by Pepper White to see what I mean.)
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I really enjoyed the class!

Postby jbalonon » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:42 pm

The best part for me is knowing there isn't something wrong with me. I hate working at a job that I don't like to bring in the money and then am too tired to follow through on projects that I would like to pursue. Do you recommend just setting a schedule and making yourself follow it? I have to give myself a kick in the butt, quit complaining and start doing!
jbalonon
New User
New User

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:42 pm

Abscanner: People tend to do it in companies they're already working for. They're usually troubleshooters, and when they've cleaned up their unit and the work is becoming repetitive they give their bosses two choices: 1. I'll have to leave because I'm getting bored or 2. I'll train someone to take my place (Teach) and I'll get out of this unit (Leave) and go clean up another unit (Learn, Try).
Last edited by BarbaraSher on Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cindy1953 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:43 pm

A key win you gave me today: When I stop loving it, I can drop it. In the past, most great ideas have become life sentences.
Cindy1953
New Poster
New Poster

Re: resistance

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:45 pm

MingLeung wrote:Can a scanner address his/her own resistance? You had mentioned during the call that you were going to demonstrate resistance work with a caller who didn't get on the call. What were some take-away lessons or other resources you could share? Again, thanks so much. I felt heard and it did make me tear up several times.
Ah, thanks, Ming. I'd love to know which parts affected you emotionally; that would be helpful to me. I was hoping to use the resistance technique I apply when people can't bring themselves to do something they really want to do. You'll find most of that in I COULD DO ANYTHING.... Thanks for joining us today.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Blockbuster days

Postby slevy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:46 pm

Barbara, thanks for the session and for working with me. It was revelatory to know that I needed to be accountable to someone else, and needed structure - I had a feeling that I needed that, and it's great to hear it "officially"! I've just tried Googling John Williams and all I'm getting is the famous composer (even if I add UK to the search). Any other clues to finding him, or finding out about Blockbuster days? Suzanne
slevy
New User
New User

Re: Blockbuster days

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:49 pm

slevy wrote:Barbara, thanks for the session and for working with me. It was revelatory to know that I needed to be accountable to someone else, and needed structure - I had a feeling that I needed that, and it's great to hear it "officially"! I've just tried Googling John Williams and all I'm getting is the famous composer (even if I add UK to the search). Any other clues to finding him, or finding out about Blockbuster days? Suzanne
Hi Suzanne You can reach him at: http://www.blockbustingday.com Glad you spoke up and glad I could help. Now you have your marching orders: do what you love. Nice homework, huh?
Last edited by BarbaraSher on Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

More on Resistance

Postby jbalonon » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:49 pm

Maybe this is what I really need to work on...I'll check out the book. I keep Refuse to Choose next to my bed. Time to read it again! It's the only book that seems to really understand what I go through. Thanks, Barbara!
jbalonon
New User
New User

Resistance

Postby seagull » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:50 pm

I am also interested in hearing your response to the resistance. I love discovering that I am a scanner. Now I see that I am also depressed - can't say what I want or identify what I love to do. Or least when I say something I love to do, I hear how I can't do it. My husband is NOT a scanner. He wants to be the opposite and I have been trying to change myself because I thought I was wrong to be the way I am. I feel I have to fight or "steal" what I want to do next - almost like I have to be sneaky about it or just plain ready to leave him if I don't do something. He would rather let me do it then risk me leaving him..............I don't like getting to move to my next thing under those circumstances. I know I must create abundance because I always "never have enough money to pay anyone to help me or to do my jobs". I have ordered your books and can't wait to keep going into this. Another question I have will probably be found on website, but am interested in Success Teams - joining and leading.
Last edited by seagull on Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seagull
New User
New User

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:52 pm

Cindy1953 wrote:A key win you gave me today: When I stop loving it, I can drop it. In the past, most great ideas have become life sentences.
I know! Delighted that we've freed another talented Scanner! :-)
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

today's class

Postby abscanner » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:52 pm

Barbara - thanks for the ideas. I've got to be brave enough to lay down the "I'll have to move on" option - typically, i've just gone ahead and found the next job & not given them the option to keep me re: feeling emotionally moved today - I agree with MingLeung - for me it was your point about the obligation we have to use our gifts and to not let ourselves get stuck in things that make us unhappy - it's way too easy for me to keep doing the "practical" thing (stay in job that's no longer fun, etc) because it feels safe and then I find pieces of me dying off inside. It's only when I get away for vacations and can clear my head that I get re-motivated to do something about it. Feeling that way now after the call. Thanks for your books & work - I found you about 10 years ago during a job transition & whenever that got tough, I pulled out "I could do anything" - it kept me believing that I could find a better fit. I've made a lot of progress, but still much more to go.
abscanner
New User
New User

Next

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners