I'm curious--Who uses the School Day Life Design Model?

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

I'm curious--Who uses the School Day Life Design Model?

Postby kashtanka » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:13 am

Does anyone want to share how they set up their Scanner Planner in using the School Day Life Design Model, and how well it has worked out for you?
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jk » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:30 pm

I have a relatively short attention span (45 minutes) and interests that have to be worked on steadily over a long period of time to see any results. For example, I am working on learning a foreign language - spending a moderate amount of time every day is much more effective than a few long sessions. So the School Day plan works very well.
jk
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby kashtanka » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:52 pm

jk, I'm glad that the school day method works for you. Do you do the same things everyday...say in your example: study foreign language at 10.a.m., read history books at 11.a.m., etc? I'd like to hear how you use the method. I set up a school day schedule but couldn't seem to follow it because of the variables in life...basically, filling other people's needs.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jk » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:22 pm

I can't plan exact times for everything - life tends to get in the way - but I have a priority list, and a certain minimum that I try to spend on each of several interests.
jk
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby kashtanka » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:03 pm

That's a good way to do it jk. That way you don't feel frustrated if you can't follow your schedule everyday. I didn't give myself any leeway when I devised my school day schedule...thus my sense of failure.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LBriscoe » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:10 am

I would say I use that model, though loosely. The biggest lesson I had to learn with it upfront was that I needed to schedule myself some downtime. It was too easy to let my daily schedule fill with interesting things only to find I ran out of energy for them all too quickly. Now I tend to pick 2 or 3 things that I really want to work on in a given day and then allow space for other things to happen. As long as I've spent the amount of time allotted for those 2 or 3 priority things, I feel good about the day. Naturally, it's not the same 2 or 3 things everyday; I tend to rotate projects a lot. But sometimes I'll make a commitment to work on a given thing for an hour a day each week. I also use the model as a time management tool at my job, which requires me to work on various projects simultaneously. Generally my attention span is about an hour and a half, so I schedule time throughout the day in hour and a half increments to work on projects. Hope that helps!
LBriscoe
New Poster
New Poster

Postby kashtanka » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:28 pm

LBriscoe, I like how you've shortened your list so that you don't run out of energy before finishing the things on it. An idea like that goes a long way in it's application. I have a question about downtime. If you're doing something that you really enjoy, couldn't the time spent doing that activity be considered downtime? For instance, in my downtime I do crafty things....I am relaxing but I am also acheiving something at the same time. I realize this might not apply to your projects, but I thought it was worth a mention.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:28 pm

LBriscoe, I like how you've shortened your list so that you don't run out of energy before finishing the things on it. An idea like that goes a long way in it's application. I have a question about downtime. If you're doing something that you really enjoy, couldn't the time spent doing that activity be considered downtime? For instance, in my downtime I do crafty things....I am relaxing but I am also acheiving something at the same time. I realize this might not apply to your projects, but I thought it was worth a mention.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LBriscoe » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:49 am

I understand what you're saying about downtime, and I know some can work well with that approach. For me, though, I've found I need time in which I'm not expecting myself to be productive. I also need time in which I am not scheduling any activity but allowing something else to happen. Sometimes that means I happen to pick up a project, if I feel like it, but other times it might mean calling a friend I just feel like talking to in the moment, or doing something mindless, or taking a walk because it's a nice day. My experience has been that the need for "downtime" and what that means is so personal and can be so different for different personality types. For instance, I tend to put a lot of emphasis on being productive, and I expect a lot from myself. So it's key for me to practice being kind and loosening the reigns a bit. That certainly might not be the case for everyone. Does that answer your question?
LBriscoe
New Poster
New Poster

Postby kashtanka » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:28 pm

That answers my question perfectly. Now I see why you scheduled some downtime because you are normally driven to be productive. I agree with your comment that downtime is different for everyone. A person who is mostly productive like yourself may geel that someone ese has plenty of downtime. when in fact that person feels like they have little or no downtime.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: I'm curious--Who uses the School Day Life Design Model?

Postby elizagard » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:02 pm

I've used the school day model but haven't figured out how to make it work best. I can't really do exactly the same things every day at the same time, but need more of a schedule than I have right now. Otherwise, my schedule can tend to be eat, walk dog, get ready for work, work, eat, walk dog, watch TV, talk on phone, and fall asleep, unless I have an appointment.
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby shparks » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:37 pm

elizagard wrote:I've used the school day model but haven't figured out how to make it work best. I can't really do exactly the same things every day at the same time, but need more of a schedule than I have right now. Otherwise, my schedule can tend to be eat, walk dog, get ready for work, work, eat, walk dog, watch TV, talk on phone, and fall asleep, unless I have an appointment.
You should make it more like a college schedule. I have a class that is on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I have another class that is only Monday and Wednesday. And I have a third class that is only Friday. On Tuesday and Thursday, I don't have class at all. A schedule like that might make a better model for you.
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby elizagard » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:21 pm

That's a good idea. I'm trying to incorporate becoming Fluent in French into my schedule. I've started reading French magazines and watching French DVDs, in addition to doing exercises in my French Review book. Originally, I thought I could do one chapter per day, but then discovered that each chapter will take me an hour or two. One or two chapters per week might be more realistic. There is a 4-hour class in San Francisco (1.5 hours away) on Saturdays for the summer AND a tutor available nearby. I need to learn to pace myself or will get burned out, especially if I try to cram everything into every day. I might need to do a little bit of piano every day though, even if it's only 15 minutes.
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby elizagard » Fri May 06, 2016 11:16 am

Pushing up more school day topics for discussion.
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners