Are the majority of people in the world naturally scanners?

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Are the majority of people in the world naturally scanners?

Postby happykat » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:56 pm

I have been re-reading Barbara's definitions of scanners. Certainly they describe me, but of course I don't know what other people are like. Of course lots of people stick to the same career path, and still are happy, but it has occurred to me that perhaps many of them have stuck to the one career not because they want to for it's own sake, but because they have wanted to progress through the ranks of promotion to earn a good income (men with children especially, and all the more so for both genders nowadays with this era's social pressure to be affluent), or perhaps in many cases because they have succumbed to societal pressure to be "successful". Consider also, to how many people their job is just "a job". So perhaps the majority of people are scanners at heart, but just some are able to behave like divers for 40 hours per week and still be reasonably happy, while others have found themselves unable to do this, or have had the courage or good luck to choose not to. What do other people think?
happykat
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Alexia » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:47 pm

My impression is that people who stay in the same job year after year lack the ambition and drive to look around for something better. They may not like their job much, but they're used to it, and have become content to stay in the rut. If they change jobs, they might have to move house, work different (longer !) hours, travel a longer distance to work, etc and etc. Some of these people have an active life outside of work, and this is where their passion is going. Others find the job quite demanding enough; they go home, have supper and then just watch the telly. Those with several active outside interests are probably Scanners or incipient Scanners, but without the awareness to develop the interests into something really meaningful. Alexia.
Alexia
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Jezee » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:29 am

Hello happykat, I am a scanner through and through, and when I was younger I choose jobs for the money, I always wanted to be a millionaire by the time I was 30 (but never got there). Money was never my real goal, although I didn't know it then, interest is my real goal. If I am really interested about something whether there is money or not I will put in 110%. Unfortunately this hasn't always gone down well at home because I have had quite a few businesses that have lost money. The problem I have is that I get bored quite quickly and then hate every second of what I am doing, and as far as I can tell so do other scanners. Successful or not, its about passion and interest. However, as I am a Sybill scanner there are some things I keep going back to. Regards.
Jezee
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby jk » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:35 pm

i think most people are scanners. I've worked with many scientists and mathematicians, who would generally be considered to be divers. But most have many other serious interests, and many even switch fields. In fact I don't think I know anyone who is focused only on one thing.
jk
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby happykat » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:29 am

jk wrote:i think most people are scanners. I've worked with many scientists and mathematicians, who would generally be considered to be divers. But most have many other serious interests, and many even switch fields. In fact I don't think I know anyone who is focused only on one thing.
Perhaps then, as I suspected when I wrote that post, it is to a large extent just a matter of degree, and the people Barbara is referring to as Scanners are generally those who either have had problems with other people's attitudes or with their own expectations of themselves, or who, like me, have found it hard to make themselves do anything. Perhaps also Barbara is talking about those who noticably contrast with more "average" people in being naturally multi-talented, i.e. "quick learners".
happykat
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby TheGoToGuy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:30 am

I see a big distinction between people with hobbies and outside interests and scanners. The level of desire for new information and experiences is much higher in a scanner and the breadth of their interests is wider as well. There is also a different world view - learning/experiencing new things is good, even if you don't have a logical reason at the moment. Over the years I have met many people who are not scanners at all. One woman recently read my blog, which covers a wide range of topics, and told me how 'awful' it must be to 'have' to write about so many things. (She enjoyed many of the posts, though.) A former colleague cried tears of joy when she was placed in charge of shuffling numbers on a spreadsheet and tracking inventories - she has outside interests, but they weren't particularly varied. Many people may exhibit scanner-like tendencies, but I think that the defining characteristic of a scanner are the degree to which those tendencies drive the rest of their life choices and shape their world view. My 2 cents, Andrew Seltz The Go-To Guy! http://www.AndrewSeltz.com
Andrew Seltz
Author, Publisher, Marketer, and Media Producer
Visit My Blog: http://www.AndrewSeltz.com
TheGoToGuy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby happykat » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:45 am

TheGoToGuy wrote:I see a big distinction between people with hobbies and outside interests and scanners. The level of desire for new information and experiences is much higher in a scanner and the breadth of their interests is wider as well. There is also a different world view - learning/experiencing new things is good, even if you don't have a logical reason at the moment. Over the years I have met many people who are not scanners at all. One woman recently read my blog, which covers a wide range of topics, and told me how 'awful' it must be to 'have' to write about so many things. (She enjoyed many of the posts, though.) A former colleague cried tears of joy when she was placed in charge of shuffling numbers on a spreadsheet and tracking inventories - she has outside interests, but they weren't particularly varied. Many people may exhibit scanner-like tendencies, but I think that the defining characteristic of a scanner are the degree to which those tendencies drive the rest of their life choices and shape their world view. My 2 cents, Andrew Seltz The Go-To Guy! http://www.AndrewSeltz.com
Great, I like that - a good way of summing it up. I suppose even with the "Double Agents", it must be determined by the extent of their desire to lead two "lives" rather than just one. And of course, for all types of scanners, there must be lots of people who fall into some kind of middle ground along the spectrum between the extremes of scanners and divers.
happykat
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Scanners

Postby nosson » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:15 pm

While many people may be unsatisfied in their work, that does not necessarily make them scanners. scanners are a personality type
nosson
New User
New User

Re: Are the majority of people in the world naturally scanners?

Postby An8el » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:58 am

The difference between a scanner and someone who is just going through a career change is that scanners just keep going...and going...and going. Scanners never seem to "settle," and as such, are branded as too "unpredictable" and other unsavory, mistaken judgements by most people who aren't scanners. Most people have a livelihood and a hobby - that's it. That's supposed to be enough for anyone, according to them. When you reveal that you not only have one, but five, six or an endless string of "hobbies," they are stupified with admiration or secretly consider that you have completely lost all respect and have been branded as a dilletante, "master of none" or a lost someone who can't make up their mind. I used to love to question these people about their definition of "unpredictability". I would ask them...how long have you had your current phone number? How long have you lived in the same town? Turns out the answer two those two questions in my case are more than thirty years... :twisted: My latest rant happened when someone at a party decided I was a hippie because I had grown my hair long and had multiple interests. Turns out that they smoked pot as a hobby; I have never cared for pot, alcohol or even coffee. That's when I set them straight about Barbara's definitions of Scannerhood. Perhaps some scanners tend to self-select for being around other scanners? So everyone they know is a scanner because the other people in the world don't understand them anyway and are circumstantially driven off?
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby shparks » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:53 pm

I know that they say most people change jobs several times in a lifetime. I don't know if that makes them Scanners, though. I mean in my case, I probably approach my friends every week with some new idea or project that I am all excited about. Then I get some another new idea, and I am more excited about that, so I put the other ideas aside for "later." No one else I know is like that. I'm like a "Random Idea Generator." It's fun to get excited about a great new idea, but then I don't do anything with it. I am hoping the tips in "Refuse to Choose" will help me utilize my abilities. But at the same time I also feel like I've been given the freedom to just enjoy coming up with ideas, even if they don't go anywhere. Anyway, I don't think that most people are naturally Scanners.
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby TheGoToGuy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:47 pm

shparks wrote:I am hoping the tips in "Refuse to Choose" will help me utilize my abilities. But at the same time I also feel like I've been given the freedom to just enjoy coming up with ideas, even if they don't go anywhere.
I found the idea of creating binders for my ideas to capture them very helpful. If you record your ideas in a form that others can follow, you've done justice to them. Once an idea is in writing, I'm very comfortable moving on. An extension of that technique, that has worked well for me, is to be generous with my ideas. When I was younger I was more protective of my 'good ideas' because I didn't know how many I might have and which would be valuable. Now I KNOW that I won't run out of ideas until I run out of breath, so I'm not worried about losing out. The ideas become like children and I want to see them live and grow for their own sake. If you create enough of them, one or two will take care of you when you are old. A great way to be generous with your ideas is to create a blog and write about them. The ideas will have a chance to inspire action in others and you will get an opportunity to meet others and even earn a little income from ads on your site or selling products, consulting services, etc. There are many suggestions in the book that will help you build on the 'idea machine' aspect of your nature. Andrew Seltz The Go-To Guy! http://www.GoToGuyEnterprises.com/blog/
Andrew Seltz
Author, Publisher, Marketer, and Media Producer
Visit My Blog: http://www.AndrewSeltz.com
TheGoToGuy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby shparks » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:58 pm

TheGoToGuy wrote:
shparks wrote: An extension of that technique, that has worked well for me, is to be generous with my ideas. When I was younger I was more protective of my 'good ideas' because I didn't know how many I might have and which would be valuable. Now I KNOW that I won't run out of ideas until I run out of breath, so I'm not worried about losing out. The ideas become like children and I want to see them live and grow for their own sake. If you create enough of them, one or two will take care of you when you are old.
Yeah, I think you are right about that. Another poster here turned me onto a website called the "Global Ideas Bank." That place is great. You can post all the ideas there that you won't ever use for anything yourself - or that you will use but you want other people to be able to use them too - or the ones that are too big for you to do them yourself. It is nice to know that there is the possiblility that my idea will inspire someone else to do something big, even if I never get to do it myself.
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby An8el » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:44 pm

That was me - I've been a member of the Global Ideas Bank almost since its inception and it's a really fun place for scanners. It's even fun for divers who are looking for some fun things to do with their lives who are ready to buckle down and make something happen!
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners