question about the binders for all your interests

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

question about the binders for all your interests

Postby snrvanbeek » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:14 pm

Hi, I've just read the book Refuse to choose and am happy to find out that I'm a scanner. I read about purchasing three ring binders for your different interests and I really like this idea. So I've bought a number of them and just wanted some advice. Do I take one binder for "crocheting" and in this binder I put several tabs for the different projects that I want to crochet? Is this the best way to go you think? I'm still trying to figure out what works best for me to get to all the things that I want to do, this is my main problem. I've got so many scattered projects in very different areas and I really feel like I accomplish nothing because I do too little of this and too little of that. I'm going to read the book again and see what I come up with. But I thought I'd start with the binders first... Oh, and I've also started the Scanner daybook, that's a lot of fun although I find it hard to take time to write in this (because I "should" be doing a whole lot things more important...). Thanks for the great book and this forum! Sharon (from the Netherlands)
snrvanbeek
New User
New User

Re: question about the binders for all your interests

Postby TheGoToGuy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:56 am

The binders have been great for me. I also have a digital version set up on a thumb drive for my computer so I can gather notes on projects electronically. I print interesting web pages as PDF files to save in my 'digital binder' and I also gather notes, images, and anything else I find that is relevant. I keep my digital binder on a thumb drive so I can take it with me easily and access the info no matter whether I'm at my own computer or somewhere else. Don't over think the process. If you have a bunch of related topics, put them into one binder. If that binder gets unwieldy, break it up into several binders. Let the process be organic. Good luck, Andrew Seltz The Go-To Guy! http://www.GoToGuyEnterprises.com/blog/
Andrew Seltz
Author, Publisher, Marketer, and Media Producer
Visit My Blog: http://www.AndrewSeltz.com
TheGoToGuy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby cshore knitter » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:38 am

I have to agree with the advice above about not overthinking the process. For me, I finally figured out that I had to try "something" and then find out whether or not it worked for me. From that experience, I could then change and tweak the "something" into a form that worked better for me. I had to learn (and still relearn on some days) that nothing is going to be perfect on the first try and trial and error is not a bad thing. I've always been guilty of trying to figure out something totally, be it a career, a hobby, a new system, before I even give it a small try to see if I even like it. Sort of like when I try to decide if I can make money at a new hobby before I even try it! As for the binders, I would try it and see if it works for you. I tried it for awhile and still go back to it now and then. Now the Scanner Daybook - that has been a great help to me. I never feel like my ideas are lost. And when I look back at what I've written, I'm always amazed.
cshore knitter
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby snrvanbeek » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:29 am

Thank you Andrew and Cshore for your thoughts on the binders, I guess I tend to overthink things too much... I'll just start with the binders and see what happens. I also try to figure out something totally before I even give it a try, strange habit, and totally unproductive LOL! I've also started with the scanner daybook, I have to tweak this also a little bit because it's not yet working for me, but I recognize the potential. I really have to learn to write down stuff I don't actually HAVE to do, but just letting ideas flow on paper, just for fun... I tend to make long to-do lists of things I have to do and sometimes I can be like a stubborn kid that resents to do things on the list. Maybe just writing ideas down for the fun of it could actually help me get over this. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Sharon
snrvanbeek
New User
New User

Postby shparks » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:01 am

Right now, I have all my ideas and stuff on computer. But I like the idea of having an actual physical book I can keep on a book shelf, and show to people, and stuff. At some point, I will probably print out stuff and put it into binders. Then I can also put other things in there, like photos and drawings and so forth. Even small physical objects glued to pages or kept in plastic binder bags. I think I am going to be moving soon, so I don't want to start making books until I am in a more perminent environment.
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby cshore knitter » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:13 am

Sharon, I know what you mean about the "to do" list. So much of my inner brat comes out when I know I'm supposed to do something. Maybe that's resistance raising its ugly head? I also tend to make my "to do" list way too long - they're never very realistic. Just another thing to think about changing I guess!
cshore knitter
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby polymath » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:38 am

Try being a Scanner with a bit of OCD... I have 11 notebooks. They're beautiful. Just absolutely beautiful. Black covers, no writing on them, and inside is graph paper. Just beautiful. The problem is.. they're too beautiful. I can never write in them because I want it to be perfect. But if I make even one imperfection, whether it's a bend, tear, or if I make a mistake, it ruins the entire thing. I finally started writing in one last night to use for my business since the cover had gotten a little warped. Not so much for me to throw it in the recycle bin, but enough that I won't use it for something extra special.
Polymath ". . .a wealth of information creates a poverty of attention and a need to allocate that attention efficiently among the overabundance of information sources that might consume it." - Herbert Simon
polymath
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby cshore knitter » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:43 am

polymath, Would it be easier to write in a notebook that you didn't think was so beautiful? Like, maybe just a black composition book?
cshore knitter
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby polymath » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:38 am

I thought about that and binders. Neither seem like particularly attractive options for me for some reason. Something about regular notebooks seem trashy to me. Binders seem disorganized. (Odd, eh?) There's something about my beautiful, black notebooks that just astounds me. ...into not using them, haha.
Polymath ". . .a wealth of information creates a poverty of attention and a need to allocate that attention efficiently among the overabundance of information sources that might consume it." - Herbert Simon
polymath
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Cheesecurry » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Hey Polymath - sounds like you need a push, so consider yourself pushed! Don't think about how pretty the books are as they stand now, they are just books. Think of how much they will mean to you and how much you will value them when you have spent time and effort into putting your thoughts and ideas and explorations into them. Enjoy the sensation of breaking them in, then as the crispness starts to fade you get to enjoy the feeling that they are starting to mold to you and become personal and specific to you alone. Once they are worn, think of them as a favourite slipper/teddy bear/chewed pen/pair of old jeans etc. Don't focus on what you think you're losing, focus on what you're gaining. I recently read a really good article about perfectionism that I would recommend too. Hope you feel suitably pepped and ready to write in your books - and not ear-bashed by the ramblings of a fellow procrastinator! James
Do more (Think less)
Cheesecurry
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby elizagard » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:37 am

I started my binders several years ago. I just love them and have about 30 now. Before I read Refuse to Choose, I thought all my binders were a bit weird, so was thrilled to see them mentioned in the book. The best thing about the binders is they are FLEXIBLE, but still organized. If you have many crochet projects, then it does make sense to have one binder with tabs for each project. If you have more projects than will fit into one binder, then you could have one binder for hat projects and another for sweater projects (or whatever it is you are making). If you also have knitting projects, and sewing projects, then you could have a binder for knitting/crochet/sewing if you only have a few projects for each. If the knitting projects grew, then you could remove that to it's own binder. I have several binders on architecture and decorating. One binder is full of WINDOWS. When I first started the binders, it would not have occurred to me in a million years to have a windows binder. Originally, I started with binders for bedroom furniture, another for accessories like flowers, lamps, and so on. It was a long time before I was able to analyze that what I liked about a certain picture was the windows. The windows binder is divided in to arched windows of various types, windows in doors, and so on. You might not see the patterns at first or know how much material you will have on any particular subject, so flexibility is key. The possibilities are endless, and that's what I like about the binders.
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby katchal » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:11 am

For me, binders take up too much room and are too limiting. I prefer to maintain info about my interests in hanging file folders in two filing cabinets. I've been filing info and articles since I read Wishcraft in high school, so there's just way too much for binders to be efficient for me. The nice thing about this approach is that I can take out the folders for whatever I'm currently working on or interested in and the rest are nice and tidy out of sight.
katchal
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LauraJ » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:33 am

I've been trying to decide on exactly the right system for me; one that I will stay with. I used view binders for years to house things, especially things related to keeping the home organized. I use them for recipes to save and try and that works great as well. Now, however, I'm trying to decide if something like the ringless notebooks (one subject notebooks, like for school, but tape/glue bound instead of spiral) would work just as well. They're a nice size and easy to just grab and go. If there are things I want to save, I can just tape articles and other what nots to the page. Perhaps a binder is more versatile because you can just discard things when you're done with them. I've also started using a system of file folders that is outlined in the book "Getting Things Done." Instead of having one or two pieces of paper about a certain subject and not knowing exactly where to put it, since it doesn't really fit into a filing system, I make a folder for it, put the papers in there and put it in my reference filing system in the filing cabinet right next to my desk. This works wonders as I can always find the relevant papers I need when I need them, yet they're organized and out of site. When I'm done with a project or whatever it relates to, I recycle the folder contents.
LauraJ
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Starling » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:51 pm

Has anyone attempted a computerized system for this kind of thing. I just plain do not want a couple of shelves full of binders, and when I've tried filing systems in the past they have not worked for me. I've moved my journal into a computerized version that also has notebook capacity. I have actually done sections for a few of my interests and looked into one of those sections today. There everything was, still organized. I could pick it all up and continue even though I hadn't done anything with that subject for months. I'm a Sybil, so returning to an old interest is what I have always done. I've been returning to this particular one for decades, but this time, I don't have to start over from scratch. The program I'm using is great if I'm doing all the writing. It isn't great if what I want is to grab something from the Web. I've found another program that might be OK for that, and I'm going to try it out. But if anyone out there is already doing all of this project/interest organization on their computer, I'd love to hear what worked and what didn't work.
Starling
New Poster
New Poster

Postby shparks » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:30 pm

Starling wrote:Has anyone attempted a computerized system for this kind of thing. I just plain do not want a couple of shelves full of binders, and when I've tried filing systems in the past they have not worked for me.
Yeah, that's what I do. I don't have any binders.
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Next

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners