Calling all Sybils!

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Calling all Sybils!

Postby elizagard » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:25 pm

Hi Ken,
Walking, London history, maps old and new, cinema, tea and tea rooms, Scotland, doing research, poetry read out loud, model railroads, radio (television is so 20th century miow), art galleries, world peace, kindness especially random acts of kindness, old buildings especially ordinary ones that have survived everything else being destroyed, indoor plants, post-cards, and dancing.
It's always good to see another Sybil. So often, I can relate to many of the same interests. I love walking around in London, both on my own and with the LondonWalks tours. I usually try to take one of the walking tours the day I arrive partly as it keeps me awake and moving despite jet lag. I've especially liked the tours that focus on literary authors. I also did the famous Jack the Ripper tour. It wasn't my choice but a friend of a friend who lived there had kindly agreed to meet up with me while I was visiting. The unsolved mystery didn't intrigue me as much as the fact that East London was right on the other side of the Tower of London! For some reason, I though it was much farther east. Some of the same buildings were there, but a lot had changed. Although they described what it looked like before, it would have been interesting to see the old maps. London is such a huge city and I've only seen small snippets of it here and there. I may look you up next time I visit to try one of your walks and tea (of which I'm also a huge fan). Scotland is on my list of travel destinations but I haven't been there yet. Right now, I'm reading a novel about the Edinburgh festival Starburst by Robin Pilcher). I would very much like to visit the Garden of Cosmic Speculation located in Scotland, which is open only one day of the year. I missed it this year, but think that I will go next year. If you ever visit San Francisco, there are several good tea rooms, all of which are quite different from each other. Samovar tea lounge, Modern Tea, Lovejoys, Imperial tea court, and the Palace hotel to name a few. I just recently got a book called The way to tea: your adventure guide to san francisco tea culture. It's introduced me to some new places. For walking, I highly recommend the book Stairway Walks in San Francisco which you can pick up in most San Francisco book stores. You get to see parts of the city that are off the beaten path and the views are spectacular. They are also a few walking tours, but I don't know if they are as good as in London. Some tour through Chinatown or visit various movie locations (and there are many).
My final spend was to buy the cinema near me that has been boarded up for years. I knew exactly what I would do to get it up and running again and moreimportantly showing films. It is stil boarded up and this project is not current, yet it is still here (points to heart) and if not this one there will be a cinema sometime. The cinemaq although often beautiful is just the shell, on a rleated subject someone told me how in Yorkshire there is an old quonsett hut being used as a cinema.
There is an old cinema not too far from my house that has been lovingly restored. I go often as I love the quality of old movies. There is a wonderful organist who comes out of the floor and plays before the movies start. This link is about the building and the comments are from many people world-wide interested in similar projects. The man who restored this particular cinema is a billionaire. It's more a community service and hobby for him than a for-profit enterprise. The following website also has many other descriptions of cinema renovations. Many of the comments are from people who would like to do so. http://cinematreasures.org/theater/404/ This is the program for the theatre: http://www.stanfordtheatre.org/stf/ Elizabeth
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Heartofstgiles » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:15 pm

Thank you Elizabeth, London started with the Romans, the city of London is there now, the east end is the area immedately outside the old city walls to the east and because of the docks has historically been a place of arrival for immigrant groups, so oyu have had successive communities then as they become prosperous they move to other parts of London. When the Anglo-Saxons arrived in the 7th century they found the Roman city too modern, so establshed a trading town west of the city called Lundenwic, it is roughly the area around Covent Garden stretching down to the river. Westminster became a separate city and the base for the Saxon Kings, to this day it is the City of Westminster. The walsk I am doing (with old maps and related information) are all around this area between the two cities. Next time you visit London contact me and I will walk you round. I fell in love with Scotland when I was at college in the north-east of England and used to visit Scotland with my girl-friend. The train from Newcastle to Edinburgh goes along th coast and is spectacular. My special place is on the Kintyre penninsular, a place called Carradale, it gets the Gulf stream so the weather is amazing and the landscap is lush plants and white sand. With all the islands ther are ferries so any journey in Scotland quckly becomes an adventure. San Francisco sounds like a great place to visit. I wll look at the links and hey maybe oy have helped me bring the cinema project up the list. Today I was helpng wth the open air library. The local council closed one of our libraries so every month the group campaigning to get it re-opened holds an open air library where we gather to share news and exchange books. It restores you faith in humanity. Reading your reply is the icing on the cake. This is a friendly thread to be on , glad I posted.
Heartofstgiles
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby elizagard » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:08 pm

Hi Ken, Once when I was in a breakfast room in London, a man at another table was complaining that Americans had no history. I was very tempted to speak up and say, "That's okay, we just borrow yours." I read a novel about the history of London since Roman times and found it quite interesting. The next time I'm there, I'll look you up to try one of the walks. I'll also keep in mind the places you mention in Scotland (I'll have to write them down in my Great Britain binder.) I also want to go to York on my way up to Scotland, and possibly the lake district as I'm a big Wordsworth fan. It's so sad about the libraries in your area. They keep trying to do that in one of the towns nearby that has five libraries, but they haven't managed it due to all the protests. But it's lovely that the people in the community are coming together to do their own library. It sounds like fun. Elizabeth
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Heartofstgiles » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:02 am

Hi Elizabeth, The definitive book on London is by Peter Ackroyd and is called "London the Autobiography" It's a thick book you can dip into. He devotes a whole chapter to St Giles, called The crossroads, though I have found out more about the ar3ea. The Lake District is definitely a place to spend some time. York still has it's medieval wall. It's hard to pick out places. If you want to be adventurous you could explore Hadrian's Wall, the wall the Romans built to keep the Scots out of England, it's a great and almost subversive way to enter Scotland. Edinburgh gets taken over by the festival during August so not the best time to visit - Edinburgh is built on seven hills like Rome. And add Wales to your list. The library campaign is fun if sad that we have to do it. And of course it was that nice Mr Carnegie we have to thank for having them. Now I wonder where he came from .....American history indeed ....
Heartofstgiles
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby elizagard » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:25 pm

Bumping this one up too. Lots of good stuff in here.
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby honeybee » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:22 pm

Hello, another (mainly) Sybil here! I'm in the middle of Barbara's book right now, and wow, what a revelation it has been. It's incredibly fascinating reading all of your stories! Here's a little bit about my Scanner personality:

My interests include sewing/dressmaking, knitting, fashion/fashion history, interior design, renovating vintage furniture, reupholstery, and making furniture from old and discarded materials, antiques,

photography (including digital photography and photoshop, film photography (including polaroid), and I am also trying to find a way to learn about older photography techniques such as wet plate photography),

linguistics, literature, writing, poetry, philosophy,

art (art history/art theory),
yoga,
Bollywood/indian dance (I don't currently do this, but am desperately trying to find somewhere that offers classes), birds,
craft beer (tasting and making),
watching football (soccer, that is),
cooking,
gardening,
history (most historical subjects interest me, but I'm mainly focused on Western history), politics/society (Norwegian and U.S), local politics and city planning, organising and time management,

green living/sustainability, architecture and old houses, psychology, traveling

The things I spend the most time on are literature/reading (every day), photography, sewing, knitting, cooking and organising.

With sewing and photography I can lose myself completely in it for weeks or months at a time and it's all I want to do until one day I wake up and am so sick of it I feel like throwing it all out the window (very often in the final stages of a project – I am currently investigating what it is that makes me lose interest at this point).

Then a few weeks or months may pass before inspiration strikes again and I dive back into it (sometimes finishing up the last project but often just starting another one).

Knitting is something I am just getting into, and it's an activity that I find it easy to do a little of every day (at least so far, but it's still early days!), as it can be done nearly anywhere (on the bus, on the sofa watching a movie, etc.).

Organising – constantly! I love coming up with and improving systems for just about anything, and am always finding new areas to work on!

Most of my other interests are more sporadic, they are subjects that I dive into and obsess over for a few days or weeks at a time whenever an idea pops into my head. Usually the old spark is lit after reading an article, watching a program or having a conversation about any of these subjects. I love doing research, and if someone asks me a question I don't know the answer to I am never content with just finding out the answer but want to get a thorough understanding of the whole subject matter!

Mostly I just go by inspiration and work on whatever strikes my fancy at any time, but I would like to work on being more structured with some of my interests, and try out some of the techniques in the book. Especially with making clothes and photographing, as they are areas where I take great pleasure in having a finished product.

And many of my other interests are things I wish I spent more time on, especially when I see them all listed out like this (I never fully realised how many things I am actually interested in before I wrote them out here!).

So far I am just getting started with a day book (loving it, I am already feeling less overwhelmed), but have not yet tried any of the other tools in the book (though I probably will). I think the binders will be of great help to me too.

I have also been investigating how I work and what drives me, and I'm finding that I think I might be the designer type. My favourite parts of any project is researching, gathering information, planning, organising, finding the best way of doing things, setting it all in motion, getting others excited, overseeing, and coordinating, whether it's making a product or hosting an event or planning a trip. I have been this way all my life. When I was a child I can't remember ever really playing much, what I spent most of my time on and enjoyed the most was getting things set up and ready. I never realised this either until now!

I definitely have a bit of Jack in me when it comes to drive, as I am more focused on living a “good life” than career. Creating and finding beauty, happiness.

Finding out how things work, understanding structures and contexts is also something that often drives me, and how existing structures or situations can be improved upon. In almost any situation my mind instantly starts racing to find a better way of doing things. I rarely share these ideas with anyone, as I am afraid I would be perceived as someone who is always discontent with everything!

This is absolutely not the case, though, I just love seeing the potential in things and I think this is one of my strongest drives. :)

B.
honeybee
New User
New User

Postby emspace » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:56 pm

#1 What are your interests? (either current or those on the back burner or in storage)
Like most Sybils, this goes on and on. At the top of my list would be photography, graphic design, biomechanics and anatomy, coaching and training, visual storytelling, voluntourism, yoga therapy, gastronomic science, evolutionary science, consciousness theory, typography, linguistics and learning languages. That’s a very short short list.

Going further, well, I have a personal library of well over 1000 books, only about a third of which are fiction (but then, a lot of my fiction choices revolve around my specific interests).

#2 How much time do you spend on each interest? (how frequent and for what duration)

When something new strikes me, I might spend a few hours immersed in studying it. Lasting interests wax and wane depending on the seasons, the opportunities to explore them or turn them into projects, how tired I am.

Photography generally grabs hold of me in April. It usually wanes in November. Don’t ask me why. Science-y studies usually grab me in September and last until March, close to a school term. Yoga is strong in October, February, April-May.

When I’m immersed, I generally go several weeks at something, occasionally several months, rarely more than a year. Most of my interests get some attention during the year, but depending what I’m working on, I may go years without really immersing in something again.

Short answer/tl;dr » I’m not predictable.

#3 What is the intensity of each interest?

I can’t reply to this because there are too many interests. Intensity ranges from all-out feelings that I’m going to concentrate my life on this (lasts several months to a year at most), to I’m going to Google this for a couple of hours.

Most of my interests are just based in curiosity, things I want to know about and understand, and perhaps be able to converse about in an intelligent way at cocktail parties. Most of my interests don’t have tangible outcomes or projects attached; I don’t generally want to create anything from what I learn.

#4 Do you use any visual aids like those in the book? (calendars, checkerboard, goal schedule, etc.)There was a woman who posted a beautiful plan that she called a checkerboard. It was very colorful. I'd LOVE to see other visual aids that people use.

Yeah, my problem is I’m a designer, so I love to spend time creating useful, beautiful forms and tools to fill out. Except I rarely use them after the first time. It’s not that they wouldn’t help me. It’s that I can’t follow through with anything including a plan I write out for myself.

Here’s my Scanner Planner, a blank 11x17 sheet plus another page with my sample of how the colour coding works: http://margaux.ca/downloads/scannerplan ... medusa.pdf

#5 How do you figure out what to do when?

I use the Seat Of My Pants™ method.

#6 Do you ever get overwhelmed? How do you handle that?

Yes. I hibernate. I’m not joking. I actually stop doing everything. There was a large part of a year I wasted playing Facebook games because I became crippled with indecision about what to do next. But once that was thoroughly out of my system (I knew the most efficient ways of advancing in the game, was able to score the max points, whatever), I gave it up cold turkey.

The downside of my Scanneritis is that I will eventually tire of my favourite things. BUT that’s also an upside for interests that serve no purpose for me, too. I eventually tire of those, too, and move on. The difference is, with my favourite things, I will cycle back and take them up again eventually, but with unproductive interests, I just drop them and never go back.

Short answer: I take a complete break from all of it when it gets too much.

#7 Do you use any of the life models or combination of them? How has that worked for you? Did you make any adjustments?

I’m not sure what this means. Perhaps from Refuse To Choose? My only life model right now is working a good-enough job until I’ve established enough momentum at (photography?)(design?)(something else?) to work my own business full time.

Or just continuing to work full-time at something that I don’t hate while I do what I want on the side. Not sure. No plans, really. Just seeing how things work out.
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby emspace » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:04 pm

honeybee wrote:I have also been investigating how I work and what drives me, and I'm finding that I think I might be the designer type. My favourite parts of any project is researching, gathering information, planning, organising, finding the best way of doing things, setting it all in motion, getting others excited, overseeing, and coordinating, whether it's making a product or hosting an event or planning a trip. I have been this way all my life. When I was a child I can't remember ever really playing much, what I spent most of my time on and enjoyed the most was getting things set up and ready. I never realised this either until now!

Hi honeybee! I think we’re very much alike based on your description. I love designing things and I can’t help re-designing stuff in my head all the time.

Well, except for the part about planning, organising, coordinating, and overseeing. Not my strengths at all, and only enjoy the start of things, not the continuing work of them. I think I’m more an ideas person and the instigator than the actual follower-through—though I hate the way that makes me sound like lazy ass that doesn’t want to do the actual work. Really, it’s not the work I don’t want to do, but the planning and finishing up. I don’t generally mind being a worker bee on someone else’s project, but really, my strength is in coming up with new or improved ideas. IMHO! :lol:

honeybee wrote:I definitely have a bit of Jack in me when it comes to drive, as I am more focused on living a “good life” than career. Creating and finding beauty, happiness. Finding out how things work, understanding structures and contexts is also something that often drives me, and how existing structures or situations can be improved upon. In almost any situation my mind instantly starts racing to find a better way of doing things. I rarely share these ideas with anyone, as I am afraid I would be perceived as someone who is always discontent with everything! This is absolutely not the case, though, I just love seeing the potential in things and I think this is one of my strongest drives. :)

This is absolutely like me, though! Kindred spirit!
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:46 pm

I love reading Scanner Interest Lists. :-)

Question: I was interested by your sentence: "a lot of my fiction choices revolve around my specific interests..."

Can you give us some examples?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby emspace » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:55 am

BarbaraSher wrote:Question: I was interested by your sentence: "a lot of my fiction choices revolve around my specific interests..."

Can you give us some examples?

Every time I travel, I end up buying fiction related to the region, usually historical, just to get me visualizing the scenery. When I went to Australia in March, I read Peter Carey's True History Of The Kelly Gang. When I was later touring the region the story takes place -- one of the wine regions of Victoria -- it was vastly different, far more cultivated and lush than a hundred+ years ago. I love imagining what a place might've looked like hundreds of (or a hundred) years ago.

When I went to Africa, I read Out Of Africa (Isak Dinesen) and Scoop (Evelyn Waugh). When I went to Greece, I read a mystery novel with Aristotle as the detective. And so on.

In general, when I read a dust jacket, what jumps out and makes me want to read a novel are usually the setting and the ideas that are explored. I love stories of exploration and journeys, mysterious (to the characters) places and creatures: Jamrach's Menagerie, The Enchantress of Florence, Island of The Day Before, Baudolino, The Sisters Brothers.

The only other draw for me is superior literary writing: well-formed sentences and well-chosen words, perfect and surprising metaphors, well-structured plots and unpredictable characters, depth and layers and symmetry in the story. I will only read about ordinary people living ordinary lives if they're written by extraordinary writers.

Otherwise, I'm mostly drawn to playful writers; witty, clever, satirical, topical, idea dense, philosophical.
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby elizagard » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:19 pm

Bumping this one up again since the board has become reactivated and many of us are mainly sybils.
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:22 pm

Thanks. Good idea! (I'm a Sybil, too.) :-)
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jXL » Tue May 23, 2017 12:36 pm

Hi! My tribe!!! :D

It took me a while to figure it out, but I think I am a Sybil~
I definitely fall under 'Cycling' Scanner...

And the Life Design Model that most appeals to me hands-down is the 'School Day'!

I spent my highschool years in the UK, taking A-levels and I took 4 subjects.
Of all the systems I have tried, that really was a good fit for me and I would get back on that schedule in a heartbeat!

= = = = = = =
#1 What are your interests? (either current or those on the back burner or in storage)
Fashion and Writing are my two big passions. I also love cats, leatherworking, photography, astrology, psychology, spirituality, feng shui, tarot, Facebook, enjoying good food, and traveling.

#2 How much time do you spend on each interest? (how frequent and for what duration)
I currently do a random number of hours developing my small business which combines psychology and image consulting...
Plus 3~4 hours of leatherworking per week. I am on a break right now but up until recently, I used to write 15~22 hours per week for my image consulting book and a fashion column. I spend several hours on private and group coaching my image consulting clients.
I spend a lot of time, losing sleep on learning Vedic Astrology. I also spend a lot of time on Facebook circulating funny memes and inspiring information. Most recently, I am investing 3 hours per week, taking a class in Osho Zen Tarot Coaching for professional development.

#3 What is the intensity of each interest?
I love learning something new and engaging with people, talking to them. So these activities tend to get the highest level of intensity.
Writing and leatherworking both require a certain amount of physical energy and mental alertness and focus too.

#4 Do you use any visual aids like those in the book? (calendars, checkerboard, goal schedule, etc.)
I do Vision Boards and Collaging, and I have a hardcover business diary. Daily goals are recorded in a daily planner.
Actual appointments with other people are kept on my phone calendar.

#5 How do you figure out what to do when?
I intend to try out the School Day system this month! And see how that goes!

#6 Do you ever get overwhelmed? How do you handle that?
I read a book called The One Thing, which helped me focus better.
I begin my day with a phone call with my action buddy to decide on 3 things I will do that day.
I also find a lot of support and serenity through my Business Debtors Anonymous checkin meetings at night.
I have a business mentor that I see every 2~3 weeks who helps me focus on my key result areas.
Other times, I do the Morning Pages, or use Unstuck App to help me figure out a solution.
I also schedule social time with my sister and my best friend for coffee when I can freely vent about things.

#7 Do you use any of the life models or combination of them? How has that worked for you? Did you make any adjustments?

Not yet. I would love to try out the School Day combined with 2 or 3 other ideas.

#8 Do you have any questions for other Sybils?
Yes! I would love to know their blogs or websites, or Facebook/Polyvore/Instagram/LinkedIn if they have any~

Lovely meeting you all!!
xoxo from Seoul, Korea

jXL
jXL
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Previous

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners