Calling all Sybils!

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Calling all Sybils!

Postby Ronni Lou » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:48 pm

Dear Elizabeth, Thank you for sharing information about your job. It sounds ideal for you. I still haven’t found what it is I should do. I have just withdrawn ( after 18 months) from completing a PHD, and plan to do Honours in French next year, then maybe a PHD, or maybe go back teaching, or maybe I’ll actually complete one of my novels................... Thanks also for inspiring me to make a day planner, on computer and print it out. I find that I achieve a lot more when I have a written plan of action and allocated time for each project, especially when we are ‘on the road’ so much. Hi Starling, I love the digital scrapbooking idea because it’s something I can do while I travel. It is impossible for me to take all the usual scrapbooking supplies with me. Dear Carolynda, I was wondering about doing project management work as you have done, as I too have a job attention span of about three years ‘provided’ there is a lot of variety. I feel like such a bitser that I’m not really sure how to market myself in this area. Also, I haven’t done paid work for a few years, due to a severe bout of Depression, so I don’t have current references. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. ( I’m also going to look out for Renaissance Soul & it’s great to have so many Francophiles here). I lived in England for 3 years. I really hope you have a fabulous time there. You have a skill I would love to have but don’t possess. You can sing . I guess someone has to be the appreciative audience. I was interested in your comments on relationships. I’ve been married twice. The first time for 13 years, then a 7 year break, and now married for 4 years. My idea of a ‘soul mate’ as my husband surely is, is someone who inspires me to be the best I can, to live to the fullest, to be true to myself and those around me, and to trust in my partner’s love and faithfulness. It’s not so much about what I know about him. i.e., whether or not he can sustain my interest, or whether he is happy at a party. I feel that it takes a lifetime to get to know all about a person. We all change and grow with life experiences, if we are open to them, and this means that the man I am married to today, is not the same man, in many ways, as the one I married four years ago. I sincerely hope that I am not the same woman either. This is what keeps the relationship interesting and exciting. Of course the fundamentals must remain, love and respect and trust and most of all, a good sense of humour and determination not to take life too seriously. Okay, I’ll come down from my soap box now. Hi to Angel in Hawaii, I’ll be there with my husband for the first time in late September. We are so excited about the visit and plan to spend most of our time on the Big Island. If you have any advice for me, it would be greatly appreciated. All the best to you all, Ronni Lou
"Live the Life you Love, With Those You Love, With Deliberation and Integrity"
Ronni Lou
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Ronni Lou » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Hi Sybils, I have completed my self-study planner. While devising it I realised that I couldn't determine how much to study per day, as my life is too unsettled at the moment, BUT, I was able to allocate a certain number of hours per week. I've also put a check box for each hour of each subject. This way, at the end of the week I will have a sense of achievement instead of my usual feeling which is something like "I've done a whole lot of bits but nothing substantial" or worse, feeling so overwhelmed by what interests me that I do nothing :bash: Crazy, I know :D . So far it looks a bit like this: ( Remember that I am not in paid employment or formal study at the moment so I have extra time) FRENCH, ITALIAN,GERMAN,LATIN = 3 hours per week each RECORDER & LEARNING TO READ MUSIC = 1/2 hour per day RESEARCH FOR HONOURS = 6 hours per week NOVELS = 3 hours per week each (2 novels on the go) PILATES/YOGA/CARDIO/WALKING = 1 hour per day minimum I clear my office at The University of Sydney today. I'm trying hard not to see my decision to stop studying in this area as a failure and focus on all that I learned over the past 18 months and how I can put that to good use in the future. I'm more and more interested in Elizabeth's technical writing career and will do some research on how that might be possible. Tomorrow we leave Sydney and head north, ultimately arriving in Bundaberg, Queensland in a week. It will be much warmer there and I might actually be able to get into the water! I wish I could post postcards or photos here to show you how beautiful this part of Australia is. Perhaps I should add 'updating my Facebook page' to my self-study list :D . Je vous embrasse, Bisous, Ronni Lou
Ronni Lou
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Carolynda » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:25 am

Hello everyone, I don't have as good a reason as Ronnie Lou for not being more regular on the board. I'm just busy (especially in the summer) with my various activities. A saxophone player called me for a gig over the weekend and the place we are going to play is trying to establish a reputation as a jazz club. The guy who books the bands seemed a bit young and inexperienced, so I've been making calls to hook him up with some good players. I'm toying wih the idea of persuading them to let me book the room and see what I could do get the word out and further their goal. It would certainly be interesting for 6 months or a year, and I could make some great music contacts. It could even be something that I could add to my resume if I ever decide to take the plunge out of IT and get into something more creative. Myers-Briggs: The thing I like about MBTI (by the way, the "I" stands for Indicator) is that it is not intended to be something that pigeonholes people. It's just an indicator of preferences. Elizabeth said she has changed over the years, that is to be expected. I've also changed, but what I see is that the strength (sliding scale) of each axis moves. When I first took the test 15 years ago, I was almost off the scale N (iNntuition vs. Sensing), but now I've incorporated more S into how I process information. Very similar to what Angel said, but in the opposite direction, I've started learning that I need to incorporate more logic and consideration of the facts into my decisions to make them better. The beauty of the test is that it may have been what alerted me to the fact that I tended to make snap judgments about people and situations based on intuition that did not have much life experience behind it. I also used to be strongly Extravert and Judging, but now have come toward the center (Intravert and Perceiving). If you score squarely in the middle of an axis, they actually give you an X. I am so close on the Feeling/Thinking axis that I am sometimes rated an ENXJ. I had a boss who was very smart and I think she resented the idea that some dumb test could figure her out. She took the test and came out an XXXX. I have always been convinced that she figured out the test and answered in such a way as to be inscrutable! A lot of people report that all or many of the answers are equally preferable to them -- Elizabeth did what they counsel you to do, just try to pick the one that you think in the majority of situations would be preferable. The other thing it helped me to do is understand people who are different from me. As a project manager, I had to facilitate teams of very different people who don't report to me. We usually have team meetings or phone calls to do the primary planning and tracking of tasks and a lot of the design of products. I always had trouble understanding people who were so quiet in these meeting and did not seem to be contributing. When I did some group exercises with MBTI, it showed me where Intraverted people are coming from and all of a sudden I "got" the immense value that their perspective can bring. It showed me some approaches for how to make the team's culture more receptive to their contributions. Ronnie Lou talked about planning. When I'm learning a subject or two or five, I've found it is helpful to create a schedule like you showed, with how my time is allotted during the week. When I want to achieve something specific, I have to use different planning techniques. Have you all read Barbara's book "How to Live the LIfe you Love"? It has some great planning techniques. The one I really like is "But first...". You start at the end with your goal, say: get a driver's license. Then you say, "but first... I have to learn how to drive. You write down that step. Then again you say, "but first... I have to know the rules of the road. Write down that step. But first... I have to find a copy of the State Drivers Code. But first... I have to google it and do research. So on. Then you can estimate the amount of time you think each of these steps will take and then put them onto your calendar so that you actually have a date by which you are targeting to complete each of the steps leading to your goal. Of course, if you just have a burning desire to know more about a subject area but no specific goal, it is tougher. There are some exercises in the beginning of HTLLL for taking your interests and motivations and honing in on some goals. The Renaissance Soul book also has some good values exercises that are helping me to churn up, focus and prioritize goals. My problem is usually not the planning, but staying interested long enough to follow through. I think the goal has to be really compelling and then the primary tenet of Barbara's comes into play -- "Isolation kills dreams". I really need a success team or something. I've been thinking about writing up a mini business plan for my music and then gathering 3 people around me as a sort of informal "Board of Directors". People who are supportive, enthusiastic and have good business sense, who would have lunch or dinner with me once every 4 - 6 weeks and just ask me how I'm doing on the plan milestones. People to whom I could bring barriers or blocks, who would help me brainstorm solutions. I guess that's a success team. Boy, I need to read Wishcraft, too. So many books, so little time! Oy, I really have to go get ready for work -- have a great day everyone! Carolyn
Carolynda
New Poster
New Poster

Postby elizagard » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:48 am

Space Management – I have the typical Sybil problem of having copious amounts of stuff (often paper) related to my various interests. I have about 30 binders, but need a few more as some are becoming overstuffed. I was having a problem with piles of paper waiting to be sorted and placed into the binders. I recently bought two cloth magazine racks that I’ve hung on the wall next to my dining table, where I often do the work with my binders. It has pockets for financial, cooking, health, cultural performances, art, science, and a few more. It gets the piles of paper off the flat surfaces and out of paper bags or file folders in random places (as there is no more room in the file cabinet). It’s easier to find things until I have the time and am in the mood to place everything in binders (or in a few cases file them). The racks don't look fabulous, but they are useful. I’ve recently found binder inserts with plastics pockets with a Velcro closing on the side. Previously, I’d put maps, cards or other items that I couldn’t hole punch easily into either boxes (mostly for travel) or stuffed into the pockets on each side of the binder. I went out yesterday and bought 30 more in various colors. Elizabeth
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Carolynda » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Hi Ronnie Lou, Re: your comments about project management. PM is a great skill because it is so versatile and is useful in just about any career you can think of. The best internet source for PM info is the PMI (Project Management International) site. It is THE recognized body that certifies project managers (PMP) and documents project management standards, aka the Guide to the PM Body of Knowledge. For those of us who are good learners (yes, I think that includes everyone I've seen on this board :-) you could learn the material for the PMP exam in 3 - 6 months. The rub is that you have to apply to take it and the application must show that you have the equivalent of 5 years (I think) of PM experience. It doesn't have to be a formal job, you can describe activities you did in any area of life where you used skills in any of the 9 basic areas of PM. So basically, if you have any experiences where you worked on something that had a start and an end, with goals that had to be understood, broken down into manageable tasks, the tasks tracked, maybe a budget tracked and reported on, and some responsibility for facilitating the work of a team of people, then you have project experience you could use for the exam application and/or to turn into a resume. If there are some experiences that you think might apply and you'd like me to give you some ideas on how to word them for a resume, just let me know. Thanks also for your inspiring comments about your relationship. It sounds wonderful. Maybe I just haven't met my soulmate yet, but I really think I'm too independent (or maybe self-centered is a better description!!) I've never had trouble being by myself and staying entertained or otherwise occupied -- I actually never realized I was a loner until my son's dad pointed it out to me when I was in my late 20s. The older I get, the more I revel in my times of solitude and the company of good friends and the less I feel the need for "a man". Now, Men, I adore! I think I need a different one for every interest. I'm starting to collect them <g>. One for wine tasting, one for sailing, one for concerts, several for dancing... I REALLY love that aspect of getting older. The pressure to mate, have kids and all that sexual tension (exhausting!) sort of gives way to a greater appreciation of companionship and sharing common interests. The men I've dated feel like they are second fiddle and I start to chafe when I feel like they are always waiting for me to come home and sit with them on the couch. Hawaii. Angel, you live there??? Ronnie Lou, you are going there?? It has always been on my list of places to visit and has finally made it into the top five. I don't know if I will be able to go next year, but maybe the year after. I would be very interested to hear any of Angel's advice about visiting and also about the high points of your trip, Ronnie Lou. Tonight, I took the 2nd lesson of a 3 lesson series in Samba. It was pretty good. Last week was wonderful because we were one man short for everyone to have a partner, so I got to dance with the instructor almost the whole lesson. Heaven! He is a great dancer. When I dance with him I find myself doing moves I've never learned. When a man really knows how to lead, it is amazing to see what your body will do unconsciously. I wonder if there are such things as samba clubs like there are salsa clubs -- a place where they just do samba all night. That's what I need. I hope I don't have to go to Rio to get it, haha! Off to bed with my cup of tea, my terrier and my PG Wodehouse novel. Goodnight, ladies! Carolyn
Carolynda
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Carolynda » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:49 pm

Bonsoir, les filles! C'que j'ai vu un bon filme ce soir!! Have you seen Moliere? I watched it tonight on DVD and it was such a hoot. I had the subtitles on, but I could only read about 25% of them. I just got a new TV and I think I don't have it setup correctly. Subtitles come on in 2 lines and I can only see the top line. Well, I figured it was good to force me to listen more closely to the French. I think I actually caught most of what was going on and even some of the very clever lines and situations. If any of you have seen it, I'd love to hear what you thought of it. Yikes, the sets and chateaux where it was filmed made me long to go to France... Carolyn
Carolynda
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Ronni Lou » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:10 am

Hi Lovely Ladies..........., from Taree, mid-north coast of New South Wales. I've got a a half an hour of internet time and I've quickly read my emails, answered those that required it and come straight to this forum.I'm so glad I did. As usual, the posts are inspiring and interesting. Angel, what a great and practicla type to write down why I would want to stay in touch with someone I have just met. I have a host of names and numbers and cannot remember whether some were taken to be polite or because I genuinely found the person interesting or heartwarming. :oops: Thanks so much Carolynda for the information on Project Management. I'll take a look at it when I get to Bundaberg. I'm so glad you were not offended by my relationship ramblings. I wasn't looking for a husband when I met Phil but I knew within days that he was 'the one'. I asked him to marry me on February 29th and we were married on the side of Mount Wellington on May Day, less than 8 months after meeting for the first time. :D Yes, I've seen Molière and I loved it!! It reminded me of "Shakespeare in Love" and also reminded me of early undergraduate university years of studying Molière, Corneille etc. I'm so looking forward to doing my Honours in French next year. I also want to go to France again. ( I LOVED your memories Elizabeth. Please share more)I was last there for a wedding in Champagne in the Summer of 2005. You can imagine how magical THAT was :D . I used to live in England and would travel to France regularly but it's a bit harder (longer and a lot more expensive) from Australia. Dear friends have a B & B in a medieval village in the South of France and they are begging us to visit again. But first things first. Yes, we are going to Hawaii and I hope to meet Angel there. This will be the end of a month long holiday beginning in Vancouver, then across to Montreal, Toronto, Niagara Falls, New York and L.A. We came over in January and visited L.A. Las Vegas, Phoenix, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest and then to San Francisco to stay with a long time Internet pen friend, whom I last stayed with when he lived in Colorado. Oh, we also spend a week at New Year at Whistler. This was the second most magical time I have ever had in the snow after a spending a week at Christmas at Zell am See in Austria in 2003. You can see that I love to travel. I own nothing :D it all goes on travel. I want to be old with a head full of memories and an address book full of friends. Carolynda the samba sounds wonderful. Phil and I began swing dance last year but it wasn't quite what I was after. It was too boppy and jerky. I want something more latin based and was thinking of salsa, tango or jive. Phil begins work in Sydney in October so we will begin going to the nearby Spanish club to learn ( I can also practise my appalling Spanish there). Okay, time's running out......Happy scannning, Ronni ( no 'e') Lou
Ronni Lou
New Poster
New Poster

Postby An8el » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:30 am

Carolynda - Thanks for your tips on that website on project management! I can think of quite a few people who could use that info... Ronni Lou:
You can see that I love to travel. I own nothing :D it all goes on travel. I want to be old with a head full of memories and an address book full of friends.
Oh Ronni - we're going to have a great time together when you get to Hawaii! - Yeah, I meet so many people that I want to stay in touch for some reason or another. Have learned that I MUST keep track of this reason, or I will lose the thread that connects me to them. Great relationships are made and not found. For me, finding people is somewhat like thrift store shopping in that you meet the person and then find a use for them in your life or visa versa. For me, the essence of relationships is reciprocal - doing something for people and accepting what people have to offer me. Have a sense that the world is filled with people who have something to offer me, and perhaps the other way - I have something to offer them. So, the trouble is finding out what this is in the time we have to spend together. I rise to the occasion using an unreliable brand of psychic ability and guessing. It works amazingly well - somehow I can establish rapport with quite a few people in the world as I run into them. Differences are the charm. Think there is a big need for lots of new words describing relationships. There are so many unique relationships in the world that must be lumped together under the headings of "friends," "lovers," or "acquaintanceships." The traditional words don't really describe the rainbow of subtlety that is present in all those categories.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Carolynda » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:47 am

Good morning all! Ronni (no e) Lou - (sorry for not being more observant!!) Glad both you and Angel may get some use from the PMI site. I'm too lazy to go back through the board to find it, so maybe this is a repeat of what Angel already said, but when I get someone's business card or we exchange info on a napkin, I always try to jot down some notes to jog my senior brain later -- like "Met at Rosato's party, add to jazz mailing list". Now that you mention it, Moliere did have a lot in common with Shakespeare in Love -- fiction woven through some basic fact, well-written and acted. Dancing: Not exactly sure which dance might best fit what you are looking for, but if swing was too bouncy, then jive would not be the way to go. Jive is even more frenetic. ChaCha also tends to have a bouncy look and feel for the first year or so that you do it. Samba is supposed to have um, how do they say it? Spring in the knees. I would start with rumba. It is a simple box step and the moves you learn like underarm turns, open breaks and shadow positions can be almost universally applied in other dances that you learn later. With rumba, you are supposed to slide your feet a bit, it should not be bouncy at all. Rumba music is also beautiful so it is inspiring when you dance -- and did I mention very romantic?? I'm going to close now, having made a vow to shorten my posts. Happy travels, Carolyn
Carolynda
New Poster
New Poster

Postby An8el » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:10 pm

Oh darn - I love long posts... I guess most people like the bite-sized ones.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby elizagard » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:37 pm

Ronni Lou, Have a great time in Hawaii with Angel. I lived on Maui for a year and a half. And while I haven't lived on the Big Island, I did visit once and can tell you what I enjoyed while there. I stayed in a cute little cottage on the edge of the Waipio Valley on the Hamukua coast. I had a great view of several waterfalls. You can see the waterfalls from the jacquzzi bathtub! I also really liked the nearby little town of honokaa. http://www.hawaiicliffhouse.com/ http://www.hawaiicliffhouse.com/jacuzzipage.html I went snorkeling in Kealakekua Bay and it may have be the best snorkeling that I've seen so far anywhere (Tahiti, Mexico, Hawaii, etc.). There were tons of fish. Most people stuck close to the boat but I swam all over the place. They have spinner dolphins there too. The boat driver said he had a friend who had spent a lot of time in the water with the dolphins. They became accustomed to her. She watched them play this game where they dropped something (a leaf maybe) and then dove down to retrieve it. After a while, she started playing the game too. Then she realized that the dolphins had, in fact, trained her. http://www.letsgo-hawaii.com/captcook/ The Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden was gorgeous! It was raining. They provide umbrellas. I figured what better place to enjoy the rain but in a rain forest. http://www.htbg.com/ The windward side of the Big Island suffered two tsunamis in the past century. I went to the Tsunami museum before the most recent one in Southeast asia. They have recordings of survivors and it was both shocking and very emotionally affecting to hear their stories. And while the subject matter is somber, it made a big impression on me. http://www.tsunami.org/ Waipio Valley is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Originally, there were 20,000 people that lived here, but now there are only 50. After the tsunami in 1946, people decided to move. I hiked down the steep road, went to the black sand beach, and up the other side a bit. You can see fish in the water on the beach. I was offered a ride on the way down. I told him that I was fine, but check again if he saw me on the way up. About half way up, he did see me and I got a ride up the rest of the way. It's very steep. They warn people about taking a rental car down. You really need a four wheel drive and experience on extremely steep roads. I was impressed that the guy was able to get his car back in gear. http://tinyurl.com/5z5dxh I also went to see the volcano, but they keep you far away for safety reasons. I also remember a lot of waiting for some reasons - perhaps because of the crowds? What I found interesting was the amount of plant life among the new lava. On maui, the volcano is like the surface of the moon. But here there was stuff growing everywhere. I was amazed. Of course, there is always too much to do and too little time. Things I wish I'd had time for were going horseback riding in Waimea (a ranching area between the windward and leeward side), seeing the observatory at Mauna Kea, and taking a helicopter ride of the volcano to get a better view. I look forward to hearing all about your trip to Hawaii and beyond. Elizabeth
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby tiri » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:21 am

hallo there! First of all... sorry for all the upcoming spelling and grammar and wordorder etc. mistakes... I really need to brush up my English skills. :oops: But I'm trying not to be too ashamed to post a reply since I'm sooo excited... I've just found out about this forum, about the book "Refuse to Choose" (that I've read last week) - and to be a Sibyl-Scanner (in addition might be a bit of a Double Agent, Wanderer, Sampler and Jack of all Trades, I guess). I really love reading all your stories and posts about your lifes, hobbies, interests ... ! It's fascinating to see/read how other Sybils think and live.... (btw I'm another French-loving person. :) ) If you don't mind some broken English posts to the above mentioned subject, I'd be so happy to answer the inital questions later.... and to join in the Sybil-discussions. For now I'd just like to send a sunny "hallo" from Frankfurt, Germany! :wink: Liebe Gruesse, Anja
tiri
New Poster
New Poster

Postby elizagard » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:14 am

Hello Anja! Welcome. Your English is good (it's true; I'm not just being polite), but I know that it can sometimes be intimidating to express yourself in another language. I like forward to hearing about your stories too. Elizabeth
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby An8el » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:40 am

Yes please Anja - tell us of your cyclic interests that makes you a Sybil! Spill it all in one post if you want, we don't mind reading looong posts here. I'll do that myself... Tonight I gave a Tarot reading to a guest staying in my house. Twenty years ago, I wondered where symbols came from and stumbled into a class on the Tarot. Figured it was an effect place to experience the source of symbols, so I really learned it, by sharing the experience with a whole group of us who used to bring our Tarot decks to parties when we got tired of gossiping, we'd whip out these cards; each person would ask their own private question and we'd all interpret their card. As an artist, I ended up helping some people who were designing a Tarot deck to be the interpreter between the artist who couldn't articulate and the talker who couldn't see art. It's called the Voyager deck, made up of photo-montage images from our era of culture. Beautiful result, but I still prefer using the Crowley deck. In retrospect, it made me realize how many things I've already done with my life. Occult chicanery was Sybilic" :lol: of my nature to want to investigate the unknown. I can read tea leaves, been consulting the I Ching since I was twelve for every major life-decision (I'm 54 now) and have become a pretty good astrologer as well as an armchair psychologist of human nature. Unfortunately, my psychic ability is just sharp enough to upset me, but not sharp enough without needing a discipline for it to reveal anything really useful to me...argh! Just frustrating enough to be similar to my command of Spanish - I know enough to know what's going on, but not what it's about. :bash: Guess that's something I could study a little more. In the course of my life - enough to know what I'm talking about, I've studied the Eneagram, David Bohm Dialogue, (which I still am a part of) had episodes of what some others have called "enlightenment," and been a fine artist, commercial artist, sign painter. I've hitch hiked across the continental USA, can juggle two, three and four balls at once & pass clubs, made over ten thousand juggling balls, taught over 3000 people how to juggle, delivered bread & pastry, learned to de-bone a chicken, home-schooled a kid, traveled to Denmark and stayed with SERVAS hosts on a shoestring, taken care of people with Parkinson's, cancer and those who were just plain old and disabled, never gotten a moving violation in my life and driven since I was sixteen, (knock on wood.) Had a horse for a couple of years, trained cats (and dogs,) lived in a teepee and been in an authentic Indian sweat lodge. I've published 20 yearly editions of a community phone book. I've taken 4 types of psychedelics - (which was pale in comparison to the natural high.) I've been trained to teach Alexander Technique - because I could write about it, and I've written fifty articles about it and my fifteen minutes of fame was as the star Alexander student in a TV show. I've taught myself how to observe and write about very tricky subjects to describe. A stranger once gave me nine thousand dollars. I can fix my own car if I have to do that, as long as it's simple stuff. I can play the piano, have written my own music from dreams and am now learning to play the mbira using the Natural Way, of which I'm qualified to teach. Once a whole town acted out my dream for the Solstice festival. I'm able to observe myself without flinching, I can sing, I will still move heavy objects and can even take suggestions. As all scanners, I've started probably twenty businesses each time I got interested in something. :search: Man this is so weird to do this, it feels like bragging, just like the "success" thread. What a relief to be among Sybils!
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Carolynda » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:20 pm

Wilkommen Anja! I second Elizabeth's opinion that your English is quite good. I'm looking forward to hearing about your scanner life. Elizabeth -- loved your travelogue about Hawaii. So were all of those places on the big island? And what prompted all the travel that you have done? I've been up to my eyeballs all of a sudden in jazz gigs. Wierd. I sang last Saturday and now have 3 more jobs in the next month -- all with different people. The one pianist is quite the go-getter and has a lot of great connections. We did a few jobs together 3 years ago and then I got busy with another band and we sort of lost touch. At the job we just did, he told me that he can hear a new maturity in my voice and phrasing since the last time we worked together. So now we're talking about doing a CD and maybe booking a show at a very cool room in New York. He has a connection there. It is intimidating to think about, but I can already tell that it is igniting my passion -- I spent 2 hours last night working on a set list. I saw another fascinating movie this week: Eat Drink Man Woman by Ang Lee. I think it was the first film with a decent budget that he did and it is what started to gain him international recognition. The food! Oh, the food! One last tidbit, I was telling a friend about my musical happenings and about this site and she told me about a book she is reading which also has a website, called Ladies who Launch. It is specifically support from women for women who want to launch business ideas -- but there is also some regular dreaming that goes on! Thought some of you might have an interest in checking it out. I've been up until almost midnight every night this week, so I'm going to log off and try to get to bed. Sweet dreams (so what were these vivid dreams, Angel????) Carolyn
Carolynda
New Poster
New Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners