Calling all Sybils!

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Calling all Sybils!

Postby elizagard » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:36 am

Hi Carolyn, Welcome, In addition to the interests already mentioned, I've also done singing, some horseback riding, am a huge fan of Jane Austen and have done Regency dancing a few times, SCUBA diving, sailing, and snorkeling. I admire your ability to perform. Have fun in England. I've really enjoyed it there, more with each subsequent trip. I can't say that I'm a relationship scanner. I tend to get attached and have a hard time moving on even when I should. However, I am happy alone, and wish I could have the same with someone else. I hope to answer the rest of my own questions by the end of this week (Sunday). Elizabeth
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Carolynda » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:24 pm

Chere Elisabeth, Doit-on ecrire en francais? Si oui, tu vas voir comment mauvaise est devenue ma grammaire! (??) En plus, le manque d'accents est agacant, non? Je n'arrive pas a metter les accents avec l'ordinateur... Bises, Caroline
Carolynda
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Starling » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:25 pm

Actually Carolynda, I had one job that was even better than being retired. It turns out that in that job anyway, I was also a plate spinner. I just plain loved solving all of those problems, expecially since I was in a computer era and they were paying me to go to school and learn Access programming (haven't done any of that since I retired, by the way). I was also learning how to be a manager (I had staff! <grin>) and what I was doing was encouraging all of my guys (mostly male) to learn whatever they could learn. I had one young man go from temporary mail clerk to having taken his first two exams as a IT person and passing them on the first try basically because I let him run with it and then passed him on to IT when that manager asked if he could have him. There was interesting work, the chance to learn all kinds of things, responsibility and the authority to take care of what was wrong and fix it. And the ability to experiment, although I did have to find ways to explain why what I wanted to do was the right thing to do. But that was fun too. Do you know that if you send a package Parcel Post it costs twice as much as sending it 2 day through UPS? And you can't track Parcel Post if it gets lost. And there is no guaranty it is going to arrive in a week or two.
Starling
New Poster
New Poster

Postby An8el » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:49 am

...yeah, unless where you're sending it is to Hawaii - where I live! UPS charges depending on how far it is the package is going, which is not so great when it's going to Hawaii where the USPS merely averages it out. In Barbara's descriptions, I'm mostly a sybil a little bit of a jack of all trades & think that now I've become a double agent. Figured out ways to live part time in Hawaii & partly where I used to live. Hope that I can keep doing it with airline prices increasing. I'll answer these questions to start: #1 What are your interests? (either current or those on the back burner or in storage) #2 How much time do you spend on each interest? (how frequent and for what duration) #7 Do you use any of the life models or combination of them? How has that worked for you? Did you make any adjustments? My cyclic interests are - (from the model of Barbara's "touchstones" ....) 1. making environmental and processional art, which is mostly expressed by painting large things: in the past that has been signpainting. Routinely it is returning to CA where I have groomed a seasonal window painting scene. Lately it has been using window painting art as blind substitution and room dividing strategy in my new house without much money and/or furniture. This also resulted in the past in producing art-related happenings-parades-events, investigations about where symbols came from via a pretty serious study of the Tarot, and helping someone design a Tarot deck, etc. Love to rearrange my living space and make it feel different. 2. Talking with and really enjoying lots of people and especially bringing them together: this has resulted in another routine seasonal gig where I make a phone book for a small town to pull together the community, but it's also been expressed in a sort of maven-salesmanship for any particularly cool thing I think should be spread around as a good idea. As scanners, we all know just about anything can qualify for that! Also under this heading would be honing my writing skills so as to pass on the benefit of my experience as I voyage through all these phases... 3: Consciousness raising: mostly has funnelled into my interest in Alexander Technique but has also expressed itself in armchair psychology and even Astrology, (which I think was where all the psychologists were before modern psychology was codified.) Also see my interest in composing music and juggling to be related to this area. 4: A fascination with other worlds and moving within other worlds in a minute definition of what that means to experience an "alien" culture: I've expressed that by meeting and hanging out with people. My interests in being in Hawaii are somewhat similiar to a lifelong interest in sci-fi, writing it and reading it...even hitchiking and getting to know the unique worlds of any particular discipline or field of specialization in a general way. Any time I become interested in something enough to learn it, my modus operendi is to get to know someone who is doing it and learn directly from then rather than going in through the front door as most people would do who want to learn something or become "qualified" to work at it or teach it. I have a great deal of clerical tolerance for organizing, a great memory for where stuff is and a sense of resourcefulness and inventiveness.I organize all this stuff into seasonal phases. Work like a fiend for a few months and then back off and play with the more unscheduled stuff with very little compulsive organization. Then I will jump back into the "gotta get the project done" with a deadline phase again at a certain time of year. It's been very satisfying, juggling having time to "be" with people and then having time to accomplish goal-type stuff. Helps me to have someone to report in to - if I don't, I feel sort of lost and drop the ball on things I could be doing when I have the time to spend on them. So keeping a blog, being a part of a success team to stay on task - that sort of thing really helps me. That's why the daybook idea helps. Instead of that, I keep a series of notebooks that fit in my pocket that run chronologically and contain any ideas I get or information I need to save to help me run my many things that are going at once. Fun to write at you sybils...nice thread. Guess I'll have to finish the rest of the answers to this later - gotta crash...
Last edited by An8el on Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby elizagard » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:44 am

Doit-on ecrire en francais? Si oui, tu vas voir comment mauvaise est devenue ma grammaire! (??) En plus, le manque d'accents est agacant, non? Je n'arrive pas a metter les accents avec l'ordinateur...
Hi Carolynda, Il vaut mieux d'ecrire en englais pour que tout le monde puisse comprendre. Translation: It would be better to write in English so that everyone can understand. Unless we translated everything! I do have an email (in my French binder) on how to do the french accents, but haven't used it much. Usually, I wait until someone who does have the accents writes me, then I save the them to pop in at the appropriate time. I was told at a school in France that I speak well, but have a little problem with grammar. I highly recommend The Ultimate French Review and Practice. I blew through Chapters 1 through 7 in about a week, but have slacked off this week. Elizabeth
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby elizagard » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:37 am

#2 How much time do you spend on each interest? (how frequent and for what duration) #3 What is the intensity of each interest? #9 What are your goals, if any, for each interest? #10 What is your level of guilt if you are not doing it? Playing piano - I try to practice 30 minutes per day. I miss some days but have been more consistent lately. My grandmother was a piano teacher and I taught myself a few songs when I was 10. I saw a travel keyboard a couple years ago, got a basic adult book and taught myself about half of that. I took a class, and eventually got a proper Yamaha electronic keyboard that felt like a real piano. I've been taking lessons for about a year now. I'm organizing a piano binder (split off from my music binder) and am trying to figure out my goals. Right now, my piano goals are vague, because I just want to get better and play music that I like. This is medium intensity where I feel most comfortable. I'm enjoying it but don't feel obsessive. No guilt if I'm reasonably steady in practice. Singing - Every day, most always when I'm alone. I haven't thought about how often. I've been singing for as long as I can remember, and probably even before I can remember. My mother, sister, and I often sang together especially in the car. I have no goals especially, but sometimes think about eventually singing solo or in a small harmonic group in front of people. Medium to low intensity, as I just do it and don't think about it much. No guilt. Reading - Every day and so often I can't even count. Medium intensity and no goals or guilt. The reading is often related to all my other interests. French - I've slacked off this week, but before that I'd been using every available moment to do grammar exercises, read French novels (or try to), and watch French movies with the subtitles off (which is not easy). I started studying French when I was 16 and have taken classes on and off since then. I've been to France a half dozen times. I'm not spending any time on Spanish, Italian, or any other language right now. My goal is to become fluent in the next two years and attend graduate school in France and possibly become a French citizen. I want the freedom to be able to live more places easily. This swings between high to low intensity. The intensity increased dramatically, when I figured out that you could get citizenship after 2 years if you attend a French school, and then it dropped precipitously when I read that women over 46 were less likely to be granted citizenship. I tried to sign up for a summer class but they didn't have the minimum. I might get a tutor for the remainder of the summer. No guilt now, but I will come if I continue to slack off, but I don't think I will. Art - I take a one day or one week drawing or watercolor class every once in a while, and find that's enough. I took my sketch pad out to a garden in the spring and had fun drawing some flowers. There's a botanic art class coming up and I might take that. I go to a lot of museum exhibitions and really enjoy that. Low to Medium intensity even when I don't do it that often. No guilt anymore if I don't do it. I've found the right level of frequency and intensity for me Gardening - Only about 5-10 minutes per day watering most of the time. I spend a little extra time every once in a while on tasks such as buying tomato cages, potting plants, or staking them. I should spend more time on the roses. I also have lots of magazines, and spend some time cutting out garden pages and putting them in my Garden binder, along with sheets from nurseries, garden shows (Chelsea is the best!), and so on. I visit nearby public gardens (such as Filoli or the San Francisco botanical) about once a month or every few months or so. When traveling, I enjoy visiting gardens. I try to keep my goals modest as it requires maintenance. Eventually, I'd like to plan a formal circular garden in a patch of land to the side of the gravel courtyard in front of my house. I had someone rip out the ivy, but blackberries are starting to encroach upon the space. There's a knee-high palm tree that's sprouted up since we got a new gardener that doesn't spray the area. The palm tree wasn't what I had in mind, and it's not where I would put, so I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate it into a new plan. Medium to low intensity. I feel guilty only if the plants are doing well, but none for not having expanded the garden. Outdoor sports/exercise - I'm spending hardly any time on this right now, but I'd like to do more and miss it. I used to hike every day when the trails were closer to where I live and I didn't have a dog. Now, I try to walk the dog a couple miles per day around the neighborhood. Every once in a while, I go walking around the hills in San Francisco. We also walk at the beach once a week or so. I'd like to do more sports again like rollerskating, hiking, kayaking, surfing, windsurfing, swimming, and sailing. Nada right now, but I've considered taking classes in the water sports (which I think about every year but often don't). There is a 4 day sailing class coming up soon. What are my goals? I don't know. Lose weight maybe? Learn some new stuff? Enjoy the outdoors? Low intensity right now, and a lot of guilt about it. Dancing - No intensity right now other than watching it on TV. I did Scottish dancing once a week for about 4-5 months. I dropped out when my schedule got busy, I missed some classes, and a woman from the advanced class laughed at me when I messed up on a difficult pattern. I had been planning to take the spring classes. I might want to do belly dancing or swing dancing. I learn most things faster than other people, so it frustrates me that it isn't the case for dancing. I'm slow to pick up the moves. I felt guilty until I decided to quit. Cooking/food/health - At times, I probably spend more time on my magazines and binders than actually cooking! My goal is to eat dinner at home at least 5 times per week. I was eating out much too much. It's expensive, not healthy, and not great for my waistline either. I used to eat at random times, but have been trying to eat dinner at about 7:30 most nights. I have lots of cookbooks and food binders (one produce, one grains, one protein, and more). It works best when I plan out my meals for the week, but I don't always do that. I use the recipes as a base but improvise a lot. I like east Asian food, Indian food, Mexican food, Mediterranean food, and like to incorporate those flavors. I feel guilty if I eat out too often, or don't take proper care of myself. Travel - My goal is to go everywhere on my list. I spend a lot of time on research and planning. I usually take one or two trips per year. My current goal is to go to one new place every other year, and a familiar place in between. I'm trying to figure out how to double up, because I otherwise won't be done until I'm 78. Of course, I could travel more in retirement, but only IF I save a lot more than I have currently. No guilt if I don't do it, but I miss it if I can't go.
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Carolynda » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:04 pm

Hi Elizabeth et al, It is so surreal reading all the posts here from people who are like me -- I'm pretty used to being the only odd ball with all these different interests. So cool to meet kindred spirits!! Elizabeth, it is uncanny how similar our scanning subjects are! By the way, I wasn't seriously suggesting we write all in French, just the exchange was enough. Nice use of the subjunctive :-) I stink at subjunctive. I'll write down the name of the book you mentioned. Met a neat woman earlier this summer who is around my age, recently divorced. She is a professional portrait photographer and she has had a lifelong dream to live in France. Last year she went for 2 or 3 weeks and she just left this week to spend a month there. I was seriously thinking of flying over and hanging out with her for a week or so, but the flights from Philly were ridiculously expensive -- like $1600. I took piano for 4 years when I was a kid -- just enough to kick yourself that you didn't stick with it. That is probably my one regret in life: that I didn't continue with lessons through high school. Sometimes I think that maybe it would have come to a bad end if I could have accompanied myself on piano and thereby gotten gigs on my own, spending more time than I already did in bars! I had to pass a piano proficiency as part of my music major in college which I barely made it through. A few years ago I took some lessons in how to create improvised accompaniments by reading chord charts. If I had enough passion to focus on it for several years, I suppose I could do more, but I guess it doesn't consistently make my top 5 list. Ballroom dancing has been pretty hot for me over the past 7 years or so. I took a full year Bronze program at Arthur Murray when I got out of college and then never danced again for 20 years. A friend of mine found an open dance that goes on every weekend nearby and after the first time I went with her, I was hooked. For awhile I was dancing 3 nights a week, trying to relearn all the basics of waltz, fox trot, chacha, rumba, east coast swing and hustle. Then I picked up West Coast Swing and Salsa, a little tango and some basic quickstep and samba. I would really like to take some more private lessons and improve my technique and really learn samba better. I've taken a few breaks of 6 months or so, but now I seem to be in a nice balance, going once a week. I would love to do a competition, but the private lessons are pretty steep -- like $75 - $100/hour. I did a very little English country dancing, too, which I thought was a hoot. I'm also of a mind with your approach to travel plans, E. I have my list, too. Now that I've hit almost all of my hot spots, it's only made me want to revisit them again and again. Like you, so many places, so little time and of course, the funds dictate the plans, too. I've been to France 3 times, but always in and around Paris. I'm dying to see other parts like the South, the bordeaux region, Loire vally, Brittany, Normandie, etc, etc. I went to Italy for the first time last October, o Dio mio!! I could go there twice a year -- absolutely stunning. Learning the language gripped me much more than I thought it would, too. Beautiful language -- the way it feels in your mouth, benissimo! Yikes, it's getting on and I must go pay some bills if I'm going to finish up in time to watch a video before it gets too late. I got Big Night, anyone seen it? Cheers, Carolyn (Carolynda)
Carolynda
New Poster
New Poster

Postby An8el » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:45 am

#3 What is the intensity of each interest? Well, the "other world" urges are more like curiousity that is persistent but won't let up. The reading is more like an indulgence or reward, as is the association with people. I get energy from being with people, and I realize that other people spend it that way, but I receive it from being within relationship. The urge to individuate is pretty relentless also, but taking a break to take the pressure off is also taking care of oneself. So I'm careful to expound on the advantages of the easiest way is often the best way. I'm not so driven to be an artist - I just am an artist now. Same with my ability to think creatively, problem solve and and fix things. I just find myself doing it without much thought or direction, and it adds up. Like a rhombus vaccuumming the floor...things get done. For some reason the musicianship thing is something I feel guilty that I'm not more consistent about. I'd like to do more, but only seem to do it when I want to show someone something cool about music. Sort of guilty that I have lost my fluency in Spanish too - for me it was NEVER French! Part of me imagines that I should be a more accomplished writer and actually do more with this ability to write that I've seem to have worked so hard on being able to do for the last ten years. I know how to write now - what am I going to be writing with it? Let's get down to it now...so I feel a sort of excitement when I'm actually doing what I imagined I could do. Sort of like an "enjoy before integration" sort of thing. There used to be a part of me that was putting off making some of my dreams happen because I was scared that if I did make them happen I would die because my life's purpose had been fulfilled. Silly me. I guess that would be a good reason to be scared of my dreams! #4 Do you use any visual aids like those in the book? (calendars, checkerboard, goal schedule, etc.)There was a woman who posted a beautiful plan that she called a checkerboard. It was very colorful. I'd LOVE to see other visual aids that people use. I just keep a chronological series of 3X5" pocket sized colored notebooks. Also have larger books when I need more space to do planning, but they are more chaotic - but they are fun and I use them as reference books. I used to make lists and more lists, until I realized that if I put something on the list, the first thing I'd do was something else that wasn't on the list! I'm such a rebel at heart, learned to use that to run toward something instead of run away. Now I make lists of stuff that I have DONE rather than TO DO - funny, huh? #5 How do you figure out what to do when? For me I watch very carefully to see if the window of opportunity is closing. So I define when the last moment is there that I can still make a choice. Guess that means I'm deadline driven. Realized that making a choice by default is sort of stupid as defined by my regretting and missing opportunities. This made me become very astute at being conscious that a choice point was passing NOW! #6 Do you ever get overwhelmed? How do you handle that? I take a nap. It works spendidly. It also makes people envious that I can sleep any time I want and almost anywhere. I feel it's one of my best moves that takes the pressure off and makes for wonderful productivity. I can always stay up later if I nap now, or visa versa. #8 Do you have any questions for other Sybils? Yes. I wonder how other sybils feel about having so many projects going at once, since I haven't really associated with others who are as talented as I am. I find myself holding back my talents with a little friendly reserve, and only allowing people to see a compartmentalized me rather than doing the "whole show" as I used to do when I was young. I sort of hide my abilities rather than pull them out and show them off. In a sense, I feel it's sort of as if my talents are gremlins. If I walk into places where these projects are going on like my workshop or home, these talents or abilities pull at me and make me feel as if they are pets that need to be fed and walked who haven't gotten to be exercised in awhile. So I feel obligated to do that for their benefit, as if they are entities in themselves who need me to do things with them for them to be expressed. It's sort of humorous once I thought of my many talents and interests in that way - but I wondered if other sybils have these sorts of things going on in the reactions of others to their "over-talentedness"?In a way, it's sort of like having a problem that you're beautiful as defined by the culture; it's a curious curse to have "Too Many Talents." How do others here deal with how people react to them - how do they deal with envy? How do you deal with how people react to your confidence and multi-skills, etc.? Their opinion that you're a "jack of all trades and master of none" sort of thing.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby elizagard » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:41 pm

I was scared that if I did make them happen I would die because my life's purpose had been fulfilled
I've never worried or thought about my life's purpose. The purpose of my life is to live, and that's enough for me. I've never felt a need to justify my existence, and that's the only reason that I would need a purpose. I'm sure it's different for others who do feel finding a life's purpose is very important. I don't know that I'd want to stake my identity on any one activity. And even if I did find a purpose, it would inevitably change by next Tuesday.
I just keep a chronological series of 3X5" pocket sized colored notebooks
What brand? I like the idea of something small that I can fit into my tiny purse. My purse used to be more or less a notebook with a wallet area and shoulder straps, but now I have a new one but it doesn't fit much.
For me I watch very carefully to see if the window of opportunity is closing. So I define when the last moment is there that I can still make a choice.
This is a huge aha for me, and an idea that I need to think about. Generally I think of deadlines as the point when I will get in trouble with someone else (like the IRS will fine me, my boss or customers will complain, or my landlord will kick me out), or disappoint or make other people mad. But that's a really negative view of deadlines. I like the positive view of thinking of things as opportunities that you can take (or decide not to). So often, I find flyers or brochures of classes or performances I've considered attending, but then the date has passed. Or I think about applying for a job. Those are my optional windows of opportunity. Not choosing the opportunity is a choice, whether it be deliberately or through my neglect. I want to make more active choices.
...as if my talents are gremlins...these talents or abilities pull at me and make me feel as if they are pets that need to be fed and walked who haven't gotten to be exercised in awhile. So I feel obligated to do that for their benefit, as if they are entities in themselves who need me to do things with them for them to be expressed.
Here's another interesting thought. I most often feel obligated to organize the massive amount of paper, magazines, and books related to my various interests. But once I have it organized and sorted into binders, then I feel absolutely no obligation (okay maybe sometimes, but it takes the pressure off somehow) do actually do the activities. That is probably not a good thing.
the reactions of others to their "over-talentedness"?...How do others here deal with how people react to them - how do they deal with envy? How do you deal with how people react to your confidence and multi-skills, etc.? Their opinion that you're a "jack of all trades and master of none" sort of thing.
Easy, I spend a lot of time alone or with people who are much more talented than me. :lol: But seriously, many of my friends are multi-talented. I know that Barbara says that we are talented in each of our interests, but I'm not talented in any of my interests in a way that is likely to inspire envy in anyone else. I don't spend enough time with many of my interests to become really good at them. In general, most people are patient and helpful. At worst, they laugh or are critical. I'm not great at handling that, and tend to quit when it happens. Strangely, I don't worry about making mistakes with my foreign language skills. One good friend teases me about being a dilettante but that's okay because it's not meanly meant. I've not always been able to recognize envy. One girl in high school was snide to me, and I could never figure out what I'd done wrong. Then in my yearbook, she wrote "Nice being let in on your life. I guess really I'm jealous, you live all by yourself, jobs, boyfriends." Then, the light bulb went on and I knew why she wasn't nice to me. The ironic thing is that I was miserable in those years and she had no idea. Professionally, I've had many different jobs, and two careers. Nevertheless, I wouldn't consider myself to be a jack of all trades, and I don't know that anyone else would either. Most of my coworkers don't know that I had a previous career, and if they did, they'd probably just find it mildly curious and not think much of it. Elizabeth
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby An8el » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:28 am

hey Elizagard - You asked me about what 3X5" notebooks I use - pretty much anything that I can buy at any drugstore. Right now I've got the Mead ones, with the plastic colored cover which are more like 2 1/2" X 6". I use the kind with the spiral on the top, so they can be knocked around the my back pocket of jeans without the pages coming apart and the spiral helps them not slide out of my pocket. Sometimes after I've used them for awhile I will put little sticky file tabs into them, because I find myself turning to a certain part inside of them over and over. At times when I know I can only carry one notebook, (for instance, in my other back pocket across from my wallet,) I have transcribed important phone numbers, lists and measurements... (books I want to check out at the library, who has borrowed what from me, account numbers, pot lid sizes, door frame measurements, etc.) It has worked pretty well for me for a number of years. Also, it's a cool way to have some sort of a record of certain eras in my life that doesn't take up much space. But I have learned - because I meet so many people - when I write down their phone number I also write down why I would want to get in touch with them again.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Carolynda » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:05 am

Elizabeth wrote: I most often feel obligated to organize the massive amount of paper, magazines, and books related to my various interests. But once I have it organized and sorted into binders, then I feel absolutely no obligation (okay maybe sometimes, but it takes the pressure off somehow) do actually do the activities. I once read a description of the Myers Briggs ENFP that said they are often content to research a thing enough to know that they could do it if they wanted and once they reach that point often feel no compulsion to proceed any further. Although I'm an ENTJ, I always related to that description. Do you know what your MB type is? Starling (a belated response!) I've been thinking about what you said re: encouraging your staff to get as much training as possible. I support any training they want to take, but have been thinking I should become more active in this. It seems that most of my folks are kind of content to "make the donuts" -- it's hard sometimes to get them to leave their desks to even attend the occasional social event -- like a team lunch or picnic. I'd like to be better at tapping into the motivational makeup -- which I know is going to be different for everyone. You wouldn't happen to know of any good books on the subject would you? Generally -- is there any way to get all the posts in a daily digest format? I'm finding it very hard to keep up and find continuity in this board format. I've gone through the User Control Panel, but haven't seen anything that looks like the thing. Thanks -- Carolyn
Carolynda
New Poster
New Poster

Postby elizagard » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:15 am

Carolynda,
It is so surreal reading all the posts here from people who are like me -- I'm pretty used to being the only odd ball with all these different interests. So cool to meet kindred spirits!!
Yes, it is. Also, have I mentioned that I love the Anne of Green Gables DVD. One of my friends in community college called me wavelength, because we were on the same wavelength. I've sometimes felt a bit out of place with other scanners because they seemed mostly focused on searching for a career, or changing careers. I haven't had difficulty doing that in the past, but have struggled more to incorporate and manage my interests outside of work.
Elizabeth, it is uncanny how similar our scanning subjects are! By the way, I wasn't seriously suggesting we write all in French, just the exchange was enough. Nice use of the subjunctive :-) ... I was seriously thinking of flying over and hanging out with her for a week or so, but the flights from Philly were ridiculously expensive -- like $1600.
I didn't think you were serious about the French, but I just wanted to show off my subjunctive. :D I did a course in France for a week and they covered the subjunctive, but I have trouble remembering how to do present, especially the accents. Flights to France drop after September 1st. Prices in the summer are ridiculous.
I'm also of a mind with your approach to travel plans, E. I have my list, too. Now that I've hit almost all of my hot spots, it's only made me want to revisit them again and again...I'm dying to see other parts like the South, the bordeaux region, Loire vally, Brittany, Normandie, etc, etc.
The Loire Valley is great. I kicked myself for not having gone the first few times I went to France, and it's not even that far from Paris. Go to Amboise. There's an impressive castle up on the hill, and a great Leonardo da Vinci at the Clos Luce. The food in Amboise was so-so in general, so try to ask a local for recommendations. There's a nice little art store in town, but I only window shopped (don't you love the french expression for window shopping: licking the windows :lol: ) as it was closed when I was there. I did a mini-van tour of the chateaux in the area. I was in the 2nd van with the tour guides Dad who was helping out for the day, and a bunch of tourists from Singapore. The Dad only spoke French, so he asked me to translate. One of the tourists smiled at me and told me that I spoke very good English! I explained that I was actually an American, and he said, "Oh, good French then." Mont St. Michel in Normandy (or is it Brittany) is one of those places that is superb when it is quiet, but not so much when it is packed to the gills with crowds off of tour buses in for the afternoon. My advice would be to spend a night or two on the mount itself. I went for an early morning walk and it was magical.
I once read a description of the Myers Briggs ENFP that said they are often content to research a thing enough to know that they could do it if they wanted and once they reach that point often feel no compulsion to proceed any further. Although I'm an ENTJ, I always related to that description. Do you know what your MB type is?
I've forgotten what my type is except that I'm half extrovert and half introvert. People seem to perceive me as the opposite of whatever they are in that respect. This has been difficult to explain to my bosses and they seem to want to know. I declined to take the test again. However, I'll look up my previous results.
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby An8el » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:42 am

Always had a hard time with personality tests that attempted to "type" - but also I was fascinated with them, because so many people do fit them. Perhaps the reason the types never seemed to fit me was because I'm so flexible and able to wear what might be considered to be another persona depending on what seems to be appropriate. So as a result, often I do not fit many of the "either/or" definition of opposites among which are the categories. To me these opposites are merely arbitrarily defined by the prevalent culture and test. For instance in the Meyers-Briggs, they want the person taking the test to choose if they are feeling or thinking - as if one excludes the other! In me these two are pretty much equally intense. Same with intuitive or sensory-perceptive - I think of intuition as a more exaggerated form of the ability to pick up on ever-more-more subtle perceptions. So what I end up with is that I'm an ENFP or ENTI or an ENTP or an ENFI. After reading the profiles for those four types, I find that I don't really fit any of them - probably fit the ENFP sort of. Have the same problem with the Enneagram. Pretty much identify with all of the types at some stage in my life. So to reply to your comment of how organizing something means you've already done it in some way...I found that if I do intend to actually do something, it's best not to talk too much about it before I actually take some action. My urge to want to know what will happen cannot work because some steps are only visible when you are standing on the preceding step to take a look ahead. Does that mean I'm really an EFNP? Or is that true for anyone who, for any reason, is concerned with learning about doing things they don't know how to do yet? I'm wondering if scanners in general and sybils in particular find personality tests to be difficult to see themselves in because of their multi-interests - or is this just me?
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby elizagard » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:53 am

For instance in the Meyers-Briggs, they want the person taking the test to choose if they are feeling or thinking - as if one excludes the other! In me these two are pretty much equally intense. Same with intuitive or sensory-perceptive -
I agree. When I was 12, a neighbor girl showed me a glass with water in it and asked if it was half full or half empty. I said both, but she said, "No, you have to choose." I responded, "Why? It IS both!" Finally, I said okay half full. After I returned from a trip to Europe, my housemate (and a college professor) asked me questions as to what I liked best about the train. Was it the scenery, sounds of the train, talking to people, and so on. I told him all of it, but he kept pressing me to choose. He wanted to find out if I was visual, auditory, or don't remember what else ??? Some tests say I am both left and right brain, or both a visual and auditory learner. I was ISTJ when I first took the test at the age of 12, but cannot find the Myers-Briggs test results that I took in college (and that really bugs me). I remember having an introvert/extrovert split on the test in college. So, I took a couple of free tests online. The test with either/or questions said that I was INTJ. The other had a sliding scale, and said I was mostly likely either INTP (67%) or ENTP (67%), with a few other possibilities thrown in such as INTJ (63%) or ENFP (64%). Apparently, I'm the quantum physics of psychological tests. There are no definite results, only probability. However, there is a problem in how the tests are designed, as you mentioned. I do think that the sliding scale is better than the either/or questions, but there were some cases when I wanted to choose neither or both, but that wasn't an option. For example, it asked whether I got more satisfaction from following my own moral precepts or having things organized. They're not mutually exclusive! Finally I chose the moral precepts, because it would bother me more if I did things I considered to be wrong, but I cried myself to sleep last night (not something I often do) partly because I messed up organizing my time yesterday (and let others down which I consider to be morally wrong). Another question asked which of two things bothered me most about other people, but neither bothered me at all! I've also changed over time, and appear to have moved more towards the center. I was more introverted as a child. Lots of random new people at parties stress me out (actually... lots of random anything can be stressful), but I enjoy being around smaller groups of people with common interests. But I can tolerate huge crowds of people at events. I used to make decisions strictly based on logic, then I got burned enough times by ignoring my intuition that I started to listen. However, if my intuition about someone doesn't match what the other person says and I can't avoid that person, it can disturb me profoundly. It doesn't happen all that often, which is good because I never know how to handle it. I also couldn't figure out what "think outside the box" meant when I first heard it. I kept wondering, "What box?"
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Ronni Lou » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:55 pm

Hi Sybils, I forgot to tell you that not only is my mind and imagination all over the place, but that I am too, in a physical sense. I travel as often as possible with my husband who does medical locum work throughout Australia. This includes rather remote and rural areas where I don't always, in fact rarely, have internet connection, so please forgive me for long spells of silence. I've loved reading about everyone and found it so inspiring. I have some thoughts and comments and will try to jot them down in between washing and packing for our next trip. Just two days at home and from cold Tasmania (this trip) we'll be heading to warm Queensland on Wednesday. Happy Scanning, Ronni Lou
"Live the Life you Love, With Those You Love, With Deliberation and Integrity"
Ronni Lou
New Poster
New Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners