Life: Buffet for Scanners

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Life: Buffet for Scanners

Postby Skeeta » Sat May 23, 2009 9:02 am

When dining out, I enjoy eating from the buffet instead of ordering from a menu. Selecting a small sample of different foods ~ the plate is a variety of color, texture, and tastes to enjoy. Life is like a buffet for scanners ~ enjoying a variety in many different shapes and forms all on one plate at the same time. Regarding a career, even though I worked at the same place for over 20 years, I moved around enough and worked in varied positions to keep my interest. But nearing retirement, I'm finding the courage to step out...embrace my scanner...and explore the buffet of interests that await me. I'm excited!
Skeeta
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Life: Buffet for Scanners

Postby Wolf Goddess » Sun May 24, 2009 10:17 am

I wonder if that's a scanner thing? I love buffets. I like to pick and choose what I am going to eat. A little of this, a little of that. The longest I ever worked at any place was 6 1/2 years. That was like munching on nothing but pork chops day after day. Borrriinnnggg! WG
You will never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.
Visit Zebracorn Art Journeys at www.zebracorn.com
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby loulandau » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:20 am

it's funny, I always loved the buffet too, on http://www.scannertribe.com/ there's the blogradio, this was clearly mentioned by the interviewer that the buffet thing IS a scanner thing, so welcome aboard, now you can eat with no guilt... :lol: Speaking of which, I wanted to ask about this. (hope this is a good forum for this), is part of being a scanner also starting diets every week, and being able to keep them for too long?
loulandau
New Poster
New Poster

Postby skannie » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:26 am

Hi loulandau, Wolf Goddess and Skeeter If diets are one of your scanner interests, then I guess trying out lots of different ones without sticking to any of them could be a scanner thing. But looking at it the other way round. Most special diets, especially if they are for slimming, have a very restrictive and boring selection of foods, and scanners hate to be bored. It's probably healthier to eat a wide variety of foods anyway. What's important is to get a balance between the different food groups and cut down on less healthy stuff like refined grains and sugars, sweet fizzy drinks and saturated fats. And cut out hydrogenated fats altogether. They are the worst and turn up in lots of unexpected places like muesli bars and peanut butter. For losing weight it's better to reduce your portion size than to eat special "diet" foods or restrict the kind of foods you eat. Extra exercise helps too. Oh you've probably guessed that nutrition research is one of my scanner interests. And I can spend hours rambling around shops, markets and supermarkets, especially in foreign countries, examining all the different types of food. I also like trying things I've never eaten before. In Italy I bought some strange looking fish from a fishing boat and they were delicious. In France I cooked a meal of asparagus, two kinds of French sausages, and purple-fleshed potatoes. All new to me and very tasty.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby JeannetteLS » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:57 pm

Good points, Skannie. I love to browse from the buffet of food groups to avoid the starvation diet fads--back in the day, the Grapefruit diet was all the rage. I never could see the point of diets that focused on ONE or two food groups--meat and fat and water diet, etc. Although, raw food officianados do seem to be extraordinarily healthy, thin, and don't age. But, an old friend who does that told me he really is a scanner in the sense that he had to graze all day long just to sustain himself, picking bits from all the foods he could eat--fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, seaweed. I might have managed that approach if I had started much younger, but I just don't see it now. Variety is key to all things for us, huh. Anyway, these days I am very careful that I browse from all major groups: chocolate, ice cream, potato chips, muffins, cookies, and layer cakes. I never seem to lose weight... :?
JeannetteLS
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby kuhndog » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:19 am

I read one time (sorry, I don't remember the source): Life's a smorgasbord, but you only get to make one trip. You have to fill up your plate and stuff a few rolls in your shirt. I read Refuse to Choose years ago, but I keep refusing to remember the lessons -- I probably need to break that one out again and give myself permission to try new things. My "problem" is that most of the people in my life seem refuse to stop beating me up to for being a "scanner." I've tried to explain the concept, but it's just so foreign to them. Oh well, off to do something different. Kuhndog
kuhndog
New User
New User

Postby DJCNOR » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:41 am

Maybe that's why I loved Barcelona so much. Tapas! Which, for those who have never encountered them before, are appetizer-sized portions of all kinds of different dishes that you order one by one, share if you like, and I never hit a single bad one. And then there's dimsum.....
DJCNOR
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby JeannetteLS » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:33 am

HUSH! I have to stop visiting this thread at lunch time.
JeannetteLS
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby sallypz » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:50 pm

I've been reading 'Refuse to Choose'...I guess I belong in the scanner group too. (It's nice to belong somewhere). As far as food goes I run the gamut...while buffets are nice.....sometimes I like to get stuck on the same food over and over for a period of time..then I lose interest in it and move to something else. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby shparks » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:35 pm

Sometimes life is more like an "a la cart" cafe. You have to pay for each individual item, even if you don't finish it and end up throwing most of it away.
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Wolf Goddess » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:04 pm

shparks wrote:Sometimes life is more like an "a la cart" cafe. You have to pay for each individual item, even if you don't finish it and end up throwing most of it away.
Don't throw it away. Compost and recycle. :D :lol: WG
You will never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.
Visit Zebracorn Art Journeys at www.zebracorn.com
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby shparks » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:35 pm

I seem to have a problem with the whole buffet of life. By the time I get any of my choices back to my table, I do not want them anymore. So I go back to get something else. I feel like I am starving to death with food right in front of me because I am paralyzed by indecision.
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unique Journalist » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:41 pm

shparks wrote:I seem to have a problem with the whole buffet of life. By the time I get any of my choices back to my table, I do not want them anymore. So I go back to get something else. I feel like I am starving to death with food right in front of me because I am paralyzed by indecision.

Well...you could just nibble on your choices while you're making your way around the buffet. (Not sure how that idea would translate to real life, but it's a thought.)
Unique Journalist
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby shparks » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:23 am

Here's one example: Perhaps today I am really passionate about a cause and I want to volunteer with an organization whose focus is on that cause. Or better yet, I have a great idea to start an all new organization to focus on that cause. But I do not volunteer or try to start my own thing, because next week I will not care about that cause anymore.
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Ilah » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:32 am

The secret for scanners is to find quick things they can do that don't require a committment.

Maybe you can find a places that will let you do a one time volunteer experience.

I think often times scanner are "idea people." We come up with great ideas but don't really want to go through everything we would have to do to make the idea a reality. Or we think we do - until we have been doing it for a few weeks. Ideally we would be heads of companies and organization and we could delegate others to make our idea a reality.
Ilah
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Next

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners