Scanner Needs Ideas, Please?

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Scanner Needs Ideas, Please?

Postby Gisela » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:25 pm

I'm a scanner - we have a business, but our Cobra is about to run out - I need a job JUST for the health insurance. My longevity in the past has not been good with other jobs, BECAUSE I'm a scanner. I always love the job at first, but as soon as it becomes routine, I can't get out of there fast enough! Any ideas from all you Barbara Sher geniuses on where to get a job fast? Thanks so much!
Gisela
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Scanner Needs Ideas, Please?

Postby JeannetteLS » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:34 pm

Sorry, I get insurance through my chamber of congress... expensive stuff, but as a member of the chamber I could get decent coverage, whereas on my own, nope. And I am not sure that the fast get-a-job things work any more. At one time Starbucks and WalMart offered insurance for part-timers, but I'm not sure that is so anymore. Sometimes places like Borders and Barnes and Noble need full-timers fast. But in this climate, it's really hard to say.
JeannetteLS
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Gisela » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:48 am

Thanks for your post. We have not yet joined our Chamber of Commerce - I certainly will look into that avenue for the health insurance. And I'll get applying to the Barnes and Nobles and Borders, as well. Thanks again for the ideas!
Gisela
New Poster
New Poster

Postby JeannetteLS » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:09 am

What state are you located in? There are some companies that now offer high deductible insurance--like $5000. Everything counts toward that deductible--bandaids, even. Meds. BUT you can see a doctor for your normal co-pay. But once you reach that deductible, everything is covered. I know that is a lot of money, but with premiums so high, better policies can cost ten grand anyway. The premiums are down around $200, so if you don't have medications or a lot of problems anyway, it works out pretty well. And if you HAVE big problems, as I do, I STILL will wind up paying out less than I do now for my extraordinarily expensive insurance. Once again, some of these plans are offered through chambers of commerce. I had pre-existing conditions, so I had to only wait a year before that condition was fully covered. It wasn't so bad. Good luck. will you let me know if things work out?
JeannetteLS
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Gisela » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:05 am

Thanks so much for the idea. I'm in TN - I'll try to find something like that here!
Gisela
New Poster
New Poster

Postby amypjackson » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:38 am

do you need catastrophic coverage or really good insurance? we have a family of 4 and we only have catastrophic coverage which you can get easily. it covers anything MAJOR, and everything else comes out of pocket, except for vaccines and there's a little office copay for a doctor's visit. it really isn't that bad unless you need serious coverage because you have an illness,etc.... amy
amypjackson
New Poster
New Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners