Schedule

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Schedule

Postby ellam » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:52 am

I think I am a plate spinner. I want to do many things in a day. I try to schedule my day like a school day but I feel trapped. I don’t know how to work to develop my project and to feed the scanner in me. Any idea? Thanks!
ellam
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Schedule

Postby Wolf Goddess » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:03 am

I have created a spreadsheet to help with my plate spinning. It’s really just a To-Do list. In column A, I list all the tasks I want to do such as "Create Art" and "Marketing". In column B, I detail by listing the things I regularly work on like "art journal" or "update Blog". In column C, I actually put the time frame. I may allot one hour per day to do something for me such as give myself a manicure. Column D, lists how many times I want to give myself that manicure. Once a week is fine. Column E amd F is for Daily or Weekly. I put an X in one of these columns. Column D, E and F work together. So, I may want to do something three times per week. In that case I would put a “3” in column D and an “X” in the Weekly column. Column G is used when I have finished a task. I put an X there. Columns H, I, J and K are for body, mind, spirit and work or business. I put an X in these columns to make sure I haven’t spent the week just working. That would be out of balance. I have a master page which I use for making changes. As I adjust my things to do and the structure of my day and week I make changes to this master sheet. Then I make duplicates for the days of the week. In the morning when I power up my computer I open the spreadsheet, which sits on my desktop. I click on the tab corresponding to the day of the week and look over my list. As the day and week goes by I check things off. You can make this list for the week, the month or whatever time frame you wish. You can save these and go back to see what you have gotten done over the weeks, months or even the year. I don’t go past a week. When the week is done I go back to Monday and delete all the “X’s” in the “Done” column and start over again. When I first started doing this I sent it to my life coach. That made me accountable. There is nothing on the list I felt I HAD to do. It is a great tool for checking to see if you are getting all your plates spinning and as I said, keeping in balance. You can get with a friend and do this for each other to keep each other accountable. It may sound rigid to some, but I think it is a great tool to help keep you structured. It’s easy to fall off and not check your list every day. That’s okay too, but if you find yourself not able to keep up with your own life, this may work for you. WG
You will never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.
Visit Zebracorn Art Journeys at www.zebracorn.com
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby ellam » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:33 am

Thank you so much WG. I feel very overwhelmed lately. I know I want to do textile art, write stories, design, drawing, management and other things but I feel that I am doing nothing because I generate new ideas daily and I don't know yet how to work on it. I know I can't stay hours on one subject and also I know that some day I don't feel like doing what I put in my schedule. Mihaela
ellam
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Wolf Goddess » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:31 am

That's why I like this type of to-do list. It expands through the entire week so you can choose when you want to do whatever it is you want to do. You can write on Monday, then write again on Wednesday. You don't write down that you will write on a certain day. You simply list that you will write three times a week for 45 minutes each time. By the end of the week you will have done something in all of your interests. When I get overwhelmed I look at my list and choose something to concentrate on for just that hour. Then I check it off for the day. I often find that even though I have been busy all day I feel I have gotten nothing done. That's because I bounce from one project to another. I go to my list and check off the things I have worked on. I realize, then, that I did a lot. It's good to see a list with lots of checks on it. :D Lists help me break big projects into smaller segments. They make things concrete for me. They help me solidify my thoughts. Otherwise my thinking is too abstract. WG
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby sallypz » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:54 am

I find the idea of checking things off appealing. I've tried to work with a school-day type schedule..it worked for a while for me..then it started to feel too trapping..to restricted..possibly because at work my daily schedule works like that & doing the same thing at home brought up a lot of resistance...so, for the moment I can no longer schedule my days that way. I just finished reading 'Refuse to Choose" and found many interesting ideas. The Scanner Daybook where I can write down my ideas as they come for later development...I've tried variations of this idea in the past..some worked for awhile..some didn't some I still use...such as plastic file boxes with folders in them..I use that one for creative writing ideas---each idea gets a folder--that way whenever I write something for that particular story/essay etc...or do some research for it....I can stick it into the folder..later to organize and combine all the ideas in that folder. Sometimes I use a project organization sheet where I list every project I'm working on, book I'm reading at the time...basically this is to keep me from forgetting to work on my variety of projects since I have so many going at once & do not work on each & every one of them every day. One of my own big problems is that some where in the middle..or near the end of a project I get discouraged & quit..leaving the project unfinished. I know exactly what happens...it's not that I get disinterested ...it's that that parental 'voice' from way past that criticized my projects, ideas as worthless, a foolish waste of time, crazy, silly etc...kicks in and deflates me so strongly I drop the project unfinished. I had a parent that didn't understand my kind of personality & criticized heavily whenever she'd see I was intently working on a project, she'd pick my most intense moment...when I was really in the flow, then totally run down me and my interests, I guess that now that she's no longer with me...I've been doing that to myself. For instance, I love to sew & was told that was a foolish waste of time. etc, etc, etc. Unfortunately that voice is still inside my head. I end up feeling like a failure & that's unfair. But I think I've found a way to combat it and 'complete' some of my projects. Barbara's book talked about using a '70 day calendar' to finish projects & it, or a variation of it, sounds like it will work for me. Each project will have it's own calendar so I have a completion point in mind. Then, when the criticizing 'voice' kicks in I will have my calendar to rely on...and can combat the 'voice' with 'look, I only have x amount of calendar days left to work on this project...I'm going to work on it for that many days more, as pre-planned, & see what happens.' She also talked about taking a photo of completed projects, or a 'project museum' kind of thing. That's also a very good idea. She talked about having people over for a soiree to show off their finished projects too...That sounds like a whole lot of fun...but don't know anyone else that would be interested in doing that. Most people I know don't get together to do anything really 'intelligent'... I do keep written rough outlines of project ideas to keep on track & Scanner Daybook would be a good place to keep them. When I use a 3 ring binder for a project I include an empty sheet protector page..this page is to file any little scraps of paper I may have written ideas on during the day when I didn't have the binder with me..or related articles from magazines or newspapers that I may have collected. One of my current projects is a crochet sweater, I keep an "Idea Page" stapled to the pattern page in the pattern book and write down any ideas I have for future changes to the pattern that I may have as I sew. I agree, although I am constantly working on something or other during the day, very often at the end of the day I feel like I've accomplished nothing...a checklist, like suggested is a good idea, another idea is a written review at the end of the day of everything you've worked on...Scanner Daybook is a good place to keep either, or Scanner Journal. If you like computer writing vs handwriting you could even keep a daily "Worked on Today" journal in a file in your computer. I'm not good with spreadsheets, and journaling works a little better for me. Gather together a bunch of ideas anbd try them out and use whichever one, or combination of ones, that works best for you. Whatever you try, please get back to us and tell us how it works...we all need ideas to feel organized. Also, if you haven't already done it, read Barbara's book "Refuse to Choose". It's full of lots of other great ideas too. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Wolf Goddess » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:09 am

A journal to write down what you accomplished at the end of the day is also a good idea. I journal a lot so I do this also. I found that when I tucked things away in notebooks, projects got forgotten or lost. I needed to find a way to keep my projects alive. This is especially importnat for me now since I am going through a strange emotional period. I am fighting hard to keep motivated and move forward. A few things you can do to combat those old negative tapes, (I have them too) is to: 1, Have a snappy comeback. When you hear that old negative voice tell you you can't do it, say, "Go away. Get lost. I CAN do this and you don't have the power to stop me. In your head you can be disrespectful to authority figures; even your parents. :) My language is a lot stronger than what I have written here. 2, Ask yourself what you are feeling, physically and emotionally. Sit with the doubt and dissect it. Breathe into it. Ask yourself what is happening in your body? List the emotions. When these old voices come to me I find myself stuck back in time in my childhood. I feel powerless. "Maybe they're right" I think to myself. "Maybe I AM a failure". Then I bring myself into the present. "I am a grown-up, darn it and I do as I please". :evil: If no one is around, you can say that out loud. :wink: Okay. Session's over. That will be $150. please. :lol: WG
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby ellam » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:32 am

Thank you both MG and Sally! You are so helpful and sweet. I will write tomorrow and I tell you what I think I must do to clarify my ideas and projects. P.S. I hesitate to write in detail because I don't write so well in English. Mihaela
ellam
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby ellam » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:45 pm

Like Barbara says in her book in school I was happy. After that I try to find my way. I am an electromechanical engineer. I like to be engineer, even that I don’t practice a day, but it isn’t enough. I have so many ideas in many areas: design, business, organizes events, write stories, textile art, management, … I use to hide my passions and I don’t trust myself. I think I must do something productive. I found that I am a scanner last fall. I read Barbara’s book but I can’t figure it out how can I do something coherently with all my ideas. I want to accomplish something. I want to say, “This is who I am”. I am fascinated by colors, lines, … and I want to draw, draw, draw…all I have in mind. But it isn’t enough. I want to do things like: toys, decorations, clothes by mine designs, in all the styles (embroidery, appliqué,..). I do something but I don’t feel like I have any direction. I try to fix some objectives like: do 20 pieces in embroidery; write a storybook for children, … but somehow I don’t like it (they don’t give me joy). And I feel stuck and I ask myself: “what do you want to do with all that ideas?” You can’t do anything. After that I think that it will be ok that I fix another type of objectives like: sew, write, draw, ... And I feel overwhelmed. What idea to pursue and how to schedule my days? That was the moment when I begin this post. I have 3 awful days when I try and I try to figure it out what can I do. Today I have some ideas but not so clear. I think that I must (what a awful word) fix some projects like: write an embroidery book, study drawing, …… Like this I can work like a scanner: chapter 1, chapter 5,chapter 1 again ,.. What to do with ideas that I have daily I don’t know yet. (Maybe I write it all in my scanner daybook and left a blank page so I can develop it someday) Mihaela
ellam
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby sallypz » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:59 pm

Ellam--those are big objectives...20 pieces of embroidery seems like a lot to me...try one to completion..then set the objective of doing another one to completion. Sure, I would like to write childrens books too...but every time I think of sitting down to do that I freeze, however, when it comes to write a story for my friends kids for Christmas, or write a fairy tale for my little daughter...I'm a whiz. I keep a file of story ideas for future use too. Maybe someday I'll work some of those stories into a book, maybe not, however I love writing them...one year I included a short story with the Christmas cards I sent out as a gift to my friends and family. To me that makes story writing fun....not work. I'm finding I work better/enjoy it more when the goals are smaller, one thing at a time. Thanks WG---I do those things----but they are not easy...there were some cruel things said about my likes that deflated me back then, and the person saying them was my only parent and very domineering.....so it's difficult, but I keep working at it. Sending you 150 Huge Hugs for your kind words. Isn't it strange but words have incredible power. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby ellam » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:16 pm

Sally, I say 20 pieces but I don’t say how big. :lol: I am sorry for your domineering parent. I know what you mean. My parents are good but they think that all I want to do is childish. All I have to do is: go to work, work in the kitchen, in the garden, in the house. For them my passions are little things to full my time. But I try to detach myself … and sometime I can. Mihaela
ellam
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby elizagard » Fri May 06, 2016 11:13 am

Pushing up to read later. I'm interested in the school day model of scheduling. Anyone else?
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners