Passion quote nearly brought me to tears.

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Passion quote nearly brought me to tears.

Postby relztrah » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:32 am

Some years ago I read the following quote from an unknown author: "Passion is waking up in the morning, wherever you are, however old or young and bounding out of bed because you know there's something out there that you love to do, that you believe in, that you're good at, something that's bigger than you are and you can hardly wait to get at it again. It's something you'd rather be doing more than anything else in the whole world. You wouldn't give it up for money; it means more to you than money. And hopefully it's something that makes the world a better place for other people and not just yourself." After I read that I wanted to take a Prozac. I have never, ever felt that way about anything I've done. (And I was a missionary for several years, mind you.) I don't know if I'm a genuine Scanner, but all this talk about "discovering your passion" or "living your passion" really makes me depressed. You know what? I feel better already just getting that off my chest. Oh, yes. I'm new here. A 55-year-old man and fan of Barbara. I read her book I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was some time ago and I'm in the middle of Refuse to Choose currently. She really has insight and I appreciate her perspective and giving me the freedom not to feel inferior because I don't have that one, singular, burning, forsaking-all-others "passion".
relztrah
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Passion quote nearly brought me to tears.

Postby Unity » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:55 am

Hello relztrah Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy looking around. It was really nice to read your post.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jj74 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:52 am

You certainly raise a big question, relztrah. I’ve been wondering about this for a while now. I see it as a question located at the outskirts of Barbara’s scanner-land. Identifying yourself as a scanner means that it’s ok to love variety, have many interests and play with broader, unusual ideas. Acknowledging this comes with a huge sense of liberation. And here comes my question: what if being a scanner is still not enough? You seem ambivalent about it. Reading the quote that describes that one ‘thing’, the thing that would make all the sense, nearly moved you to tears. Yet, knowing that you don’t have it makes you feel inferior and depressed. So, should you dismiss it as ‘talk’? I don’t think so. You could, instead, try to understand better what that ‘thing’ really means. I’ve come across quotes like yours many times, in different words by different people, and I’m amazed that they all look the same. It always goes like this: you have been given talents, and a mission, and you have to figure out what your talents are and what your mission is, and fulfil it. I’m not religious (anymore), but I can’t deny that you can take this one step further and say that God is the one who has given you your talents and your mission. So look at that ‘thing’ again: it’s the task of a lifetime. Barely within reach, difficult to figure out, difficult to pursue. Have you ever heard someone say that it often takes years for people to figure out what they really want in life? I bet you have. So there is no reason to feel inferior because you haven’t found it, yet. I even think it’s possible that I’ll never find it. But I don’t think that this is a reason not to try. Of course, this line of thought is some way off what we’re usually supposed to name as our goals. Career goals, things we’re supposed to like, products and services we should love dearly (is this the ‘talk’ you don’t want to listen to anymore?). I’ve stopped dismissing this quest for a life-goal as ridiculous and silly, but I think you should handle it as a kind of process running in the background. You cannot force the discovery. If you move it too much to the foreground, it will become an obstacle and a burden. For day-to-day life, you need tangible goals, so you can handle your life, get on with the tasks you want to complete, and seem a reasonable person. But you can keep looking. And I don’t think you should expect that you will or have to find it at all cost, no matter how much you may want to. So long.
jj74
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby relztrah » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:51 pm

Thank you for sharing your insights. I am going to finish the book and trust that Barbara in her wisdom will bring the issue into clearer focus.
relztrah
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Mercurial » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:35 pm

Follow your bliss. Trite but true. When you're doing what excites you, that attracts others. You can't do anything without the interest or participation of others, so it's important to find and share whatever it is that makes you come alive. Do any of the Scanner types seem like you? I forget the name but I think I'm the one who has deep interest in one thing, dabbles elsewhere but then comes back to three or four major themes. Et vous?
Mercurial
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Ilah » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:24 am

I think for scanners "bliss" is a little more intangible. Bliss may be something very broad like "making things" or "learning things" not one specific activity. For example, I could give up a specific craft, but giving up crafting would be very hard for me. Even when I pick a very broad category like crafting, I still have so many other things I love to do. I think our bliss is simply being able to do new things, make new things, learn new things. As an analogy I use the example of two mothers. Betty has one child and loves her son more than anyone in the world. Sue has four children. She loves all her children, but can't pick "the one" that she loves more than anyone in the world. Does that mean that Sue loves her children less? So for me it isn't one thing, it is everything. Maybe the passion is less intense because it is spread out. But I do think the quote is a bit overblown. I love my life (most days) but I have never "bounded" out of bed. Passion and bliss take different forms for everyone. Yours may not look the same as other people's. That doesn't mean there is something wrong with you.
Ilah
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Andreya » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:56 am

I have serious problems jumping out of bed first thing in the morning - always had. Probably due to low blood pressure etc. Maybe except if we went for a trip somewhere exciting & I knew I had to be there (or the bus will drive off). I really enjoy some things, found too much passion can cause burn-out quickly too, so it's important to balance with other things! I agree with Ilah that one can love lots of friends or children!! or activities/pursuits. I love creativity and pursuing new things & meeting new people, I may leave music or writing fiction for a while, and then come again to it, renewed, and maybe just write different songs or stories or stuff.
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:37 pm

Andreya wrote:I have serious problems jumping out of bed first thing in the morning - snip-
Me too, ever since I was a teenager until I started getting treated for Adrenal Fatigue. Well, I still don't jump, but at least now I don't slide out of bed like a slug.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Andreya » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:31 pm

SquarePeg wrote:
Andreya wrote:I have serious problems jumping out of bed first thing in the morning - snip-
Me too, ever since I was a teenager until I started getting treated for Adrenal Fatigue. Well, I still don't jump, but at least now I don't slide out of bed like a slug.
Hmm. Interesting. (You're the 2nd person saying something about this in connection to Adrenal Fatigue.) How did you get treated, what changes to nutrition etc did you make? PS Today was a little easier lol. Maybe just talking about it makes it easier, he he. (?)
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:11 pm

Andreya wrote:
SquarePeg wrote:
Hmm. Interesting. (You're the 2nd person saying something about this in connection to Adrenal Fatigue.) How did you get treated, what changes to nutrition etc did you make? PS Today was a little easier lol. Maybe just talking about it makes it easier, he he. (?)
I went to a ND. I went on the Blood Type Diet. Wheat and dairy were causing lots of problems for me, especially brain fog. I took lots of supplements, too. The other thing that helped a lot was getting a CPAP machine for sleep apnea. But I got that before I went to the ND, so it wasn't the whole answer. It's amazing how important are a proper diet, moderate exercise, low stress and plenty of sleep!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Amberjade27 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:57 pm

I think our passion is the excitement of new discoveries and interests every day. You never know what might spark your attention. I'm lucky to have held a very good job for many years and still do. I'm good at almost anything I try. But my excitement isn't at work. It's at teaching aerobics, painting, reading, crafting, learning...etc., etc., etc. We have unlimited possibilities for excitement, not just one narrow avenue to pursue.
Amberjade27
New User
New User

Postby Andreya » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:21 am

Thank you, Square Peg! (forgot to reply before) I've been on a wheat-free and diary-free diet before, and I felt quite good (except being hungry all the time later on when I didn't know what to eat anymore!:) Some of my other health concerns sort of worsened, and my family wasn't happy about it, so I went back to normal ('mostly healthy') diet. I'm not sure if I am or am not allergic/sensitive to gluten and dairy or not, so been meaning to go to the doctor to find out (we don't have NDs here).
It's amazing how important are a proper diet, moderate exercise, low stress and plenty of sleep!
Totally agree about this!! I'd also add fresh air if you can get it!! Amberjade, I agree it's the excitement of new discoveries and interests too! You sound like an interesting person! Can you tell what your 'very good job' is? (At least in which field and what you do, is it scanner-related?)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners