Scanners Dilemma - Feedback please

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Scanners Dilemma - Feedback please

Postby educguess » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:01 am

Hello all you Scanners and Success Achievers: My dilemma - the good enough job - I have a state job - been concern about the conflict of interest clause - but with furloughs - expecting it is more of a mute point. Know this job frontwards and backwards - no brainer. And it is work I enjoy. There is a local opportunity as a Director for PACE through VOA. Community based program for the county. Connected with National Organization with a variety of programs - utilize lots of my skills and experience. Do I make a change which always takes energy and I go at things full speed ahead? Do I stay in the current job? Dilemma is that I have the National Speaker goal rolling -even if slowly - it is moving? Well What do you thinK????? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
[color=#4000BF]"How To" LIfe Consultants, LLC " Personal Development for Mult-talented Individuals" http://www.HowToInLife.com [/color]
educguess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Scanners Dilemma - Feedback please

Postby Tituba » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:42 am

Connected with National Organization with a variety of programs - utilize lots of my skills and experience.
This new position could link you up with those national resources you will need as a speaker. Go for the new job, get out of your comfort zone. Is your hesitation due to a real conflict or an anticipated conflict?
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby educguess » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:05 am

Tituba Thank you!!!! My hesitation is a anticipated one - if I take on the new challenge will I stay on track or have enough energy for the Speaker goal. :?: :?: The new challenge will intrigues me because of the opportunities that I see - various directions that I have been in - have experience - ability to have a connection and yet try/do various things. Also a venue to try several of my other scanner delights. A local base - not many options in rural areas. And with options. State employment and the politics and limitations bother me. I know any work environment will have its politics, dynamics, that is part of being in a group - humans.
[color=#4000BF]"How To" LIfe Consultants, LLC " Personal Development for Mult-talented Individuals" http://www.HowToInLife.com [/color]
educguess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:24 am

if I take on the new challenge will I stay on track or have enough energy for the Speaker goal.
You are throwing up roadblocks that don't exist but are imagined. This is resistance and not reality. Go through this thread viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23077 and watch all the videos
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby relztrah » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:06 am

I don't mean to be flipant, but if you're a genuine scanner, how long will you want pursue the National Speaker goal anyway? According to the book, scanners stay interested in something for short periods and then move on. My advice is to make your decision independently of the speaker goal. I guess it depends on what type of scanner you are.
relztrah
New Poster
New Poster

Postby educguess » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:04 am

Tituba: Thanks - always good info. I have pulled the Job Description, began making notes for fine tuning my resume to highlight relevant experience and skills. Always a challenge of a Scanner. I am excited about throwing my hat into the ring. The immediate job will have much variety and then the organization has a broader variety. "Dream Idea" a trainer for the national organization as I have experience in most of their avenues of service. Relztrah: My pattern is about 2 1/2 years. I have a need to develop and pursue something, then if I meet too many walls in an organization or have developed it I am ready to move on. I am looking at the National Speaker as a way to meet several of my passions - teaching, speaking, learning new things, exploring to new places. I plan to speak/teach on several areas of my passion. Being my own boss allows me to continually tweak what I am doing. It continues to be a challenge to look at what area to focus in for speaking. I have a primary area - Disability Adjustment (which encompasses a vast number of tools - variety) Then I will develop a personal idea Jin Shin and Flower Essences which is a internal journey also and will be relative to a narrower group.
educguess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby educguess » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:22 pm

Submitted resume and cover letter - now the wait and see game.
educguess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby educguess » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:46 pm

Okay the announcement came out for the job in the local paper with an email address - submitted the cover letter and resume again noting in the email had submitted through national site. Also have prepared a resume, response to questions, etc for a trainer position for my region for the state - would get me into regularly presenting/teaching while I work on the ultimate goal of write/speak.
educguess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby educguess » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:04 pm

Dilemmas are opportunities. I submit for the trainer position - amazing got asked if I have the specific experience in child welfare (relates to someone coming up the line). I have related experience, but not the exact. The amazing thing is that my submission was NOT automatically disqualified. I have been asked to call HR so she can find the relative experience required. I can provide connection for relative experience - no way going to make the exact experience. A Trainer position would be fun and right up my alley. I need to at least call and talk with HR as this is very unusual behavior in the state or any government system. HMMMMM Any comments??????? Dreams, possibilities, obstacles, resistance, ways to move through and on and be.
educguess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby educguess » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:29 pm

Ok called HR - had to leave a message - which I did with the willingness to discuss the experience issue and giving some info on relevant experience. Left times that I could be reached. Will see what happens next. As this was such an unusual response, I had to at least make a call. Next.
educguess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby educguess » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:42 pm

Very interesting - HR called back at 4:05 pm - but was leaving in 15 minutes. Did not get the message until time for HR to leave. Wants contact ASAP = wants me to call back she is in by 7:30 am. Will do so first thing in AM. Hmmmmm.
educguess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby educguess » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:52 am

The Saga continues. Called HR this am first thing. We discussed I am not from the department, I have the ability and relative experience to learn, apply, and train the policy, procedure, and regulations. She said send her an email summarizing our conversation. With the email she will send my submission on to have the written "test" scored by the professionals - specific content review. Then those with the top scores go for an oral "exam" on Nov 4. Since this is not standard operation - I did catch HRs attention - we will see what the written test scores are. I am to know by Mon Oct 26th if I am to go for the Oral exam. Stay tuned for additional notes on the Scanners Dilemma Saga. PS nothing from the PACE application to date which started this thread.
educguess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby educguess » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:13 pm

Ok - next step. I passed the written review - not with flying colors - however I will bet they were looking for regs to be quoted. I have the Orals - 5 hours away in Denver on Nov 4th at 10:30 am with more homework to be recieved in a couple of days to bring to the Orals. I am available on the 4th - then off on the 5th to get ready to fly into NC on the 6th for the WriteSpeak retreat. Not boring at the moment. This is a trainer position - will allow for some variety and practice for writing and speaking - so we will see what happens.
educguess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby educguess » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:05 pm

The assignment for the Orals is to prepare a 7-10 minute presentation for "new employees"(the evaluators - 5) from the chapter they provided from the Handbook plus two questions. Toastmasters is going to come in handy. Now the fun begins. Professional and as they said make it fun. They will not have a laptop and projector available and that is fine with me. I have learned to put power points together. And I am learning how to use them in presentations. Word is out among speakers that they really are considered a crutch and not a good tool most of the time. New Employees would need to work. Hope the evaluators are prepared to work in that 7-10 minutes. Now I better go read the chapter to learn what I am to discuss/train.
educguess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby educguess » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:11 pm

Progress on the presentation - research - helpful info - basic draft - now to develop the actual presentation with interaction.
educguess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Next

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners