PhD in Information Science

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

PhD in Information Science

Postby shparks » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:21 pm

I have been thinking about possibly applying for a PhD program in Information Science. I was wondering if anyone in the forums has an Information Science degree, knows someone who has one, or is otherwise familiar with them? I am trying to determine what types of career paths the people who get these degrees end up in.
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: PhD in Information Science

Postby Tituba » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:36 pm

Phd? If you want to be considered for a high level IT position, then you could get certified by Microsoft. Schools offer the certification curriculum and you have to pass the tests. As the job market stands now, you can be certified and only get an entry level help desk job. It used to be the golden road and lan managers wrote their own ticket. Not anymore.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby shparks » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:56 pm

Information Technology is not the same thing as Information Science.
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby skannie » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:46 am

You're talking about information science for librarians aren't you? I'm sure some people on these boards have done it, and I think board member velvet said she will be starting it soon. Here's a list of online articles that might help http://www.liscareer.com/careerplanning.htm
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby shparks » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:06 pm

skannie wrote:You're talking about information science for librarians aren't you?
I know that Library and Information Science go hand-in-hand, at least some of the time. I am not sure if PhDs in Information Science are just for library jobs, or if they are for other things. I am not even sure if someone with a PhD in Information Science can get a job as a librarian, or if a Masters in Library Science would still be required. I don't have a Masters in Library Science. I have a Masters in Teaching, though.
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:03 pm

Here's a summary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_science I was thinking about human computer interaction at one time. There's a program in Chicago.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby shparks » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:46 am

I got a textbook called "Information Science 101" so that I could learn more about the subject. I am finding a lot of what I am reading pretty interesting. Much of it has to do with analyzing someone's information needs and then finding the most efficient and effective ways of connecting that person with that knowledge. This could include situations ranging from a student trying to write a report to government officials responding to a natural disaster or terrorist attack.
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners