Home School Consultant

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Home School Consultant

Postby shparks » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:21 pm

I am considering trying to start a business as a licensed teacher who is a consultant to home school parents. I thought that parents might need help tailoring the lesson plans that they are provided with to their children's needs. I also thought that parents might have ideas for lessons they want to do with their kids, but then they are unable to find an appropriate lesson plan to go with the idea. So in that case, I could develop original lesson plans for them. So the questions I have are: Would home school parents need a service like this? Are there other things that home school parents need that I haven't thought of yet? If this idea is viable, how do I go about implementing it?
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Home School Consultant

Postby sallypz » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:05 am

That's a great idea. I have a small child and am baffeled at how a parent would go about home schooling a child. (I have no interest in completely homeschooling my child but because she is a 'special needs' child we do do things at home that are supplementary to school.) I would think some of your work could be done through the internet or email. You would need to locate people that homeschool. There must be web sites and chat groups where they share info. The area I lived in in SW Florida had a lot of hoeschooling. It seemed that for socialization a lot of the homeschool kids were in the girl scouts, brownies, cub scouts and boy scouts. Many also attended church sunday school for socialization. One of the programs available for homeschool use is Beka Books. They have a web site for their products. This series is also used by some small Christian Schools too. What about a seminar for homeschool parents...on How to Homeschool?? or is there already something like that out there?? Good luck. I think it's a great idea. salltpz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Home School Consultant

Postby DStaub11 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:52 am

Hi Shparks, I homeschooled my daughter for five years (in the US) and I think what you're talking about would be very useful to homeschooling parents. As a homeschooler I created a lot of curriculum myself (one of the best parts) and tapped into all kinds of resources. I would definitely could have used help, especially from someone knowledgeable about science. That's one area that many homeschooling parents feel intimidated by (maybe because most are women, and women get excluded from science?). If you haven't already, I would google homeschooling and check into some of the online communities and products/services already offered. Good luck! Do Mi
Intimate Landscapes in Colored Pencil http://www.domistauberart.com Facing the Text: Content and Structure in Book Indexing http://www.domistauberindexing.com
DStaub11
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners