My Resume on the Radio

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

My Resume on the Radio

Postby shparks » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:41 pm

I submitted an entry for a contest for a local radio station where the winners get to put an audio resume on the air. They picked me and now they want me to come in this week to record it. I have 15 seconds, enough time for two or three sentences, to sell myself to the listening employers. My Education Background: General Transfer AA Bachelors in Social Science - Studied Psychology, Human Development, and English Professional Writing Certificate Masters in Teaching - Certified for K through 8, Highly Qualified in Middle School Science My Work / Volunteer History: Customer Service After School Programs Church Youth Group Library Student Teaching in 7th Grade Life Science Classroom My Special Skills: Puppetry Video Production Sketch Comedy Humor Writing Curriculum Development Idea Man I am hoping for a job outside of a formal school setting that involves things like creativity, science, visual or performance arts, and working with youth. So I have to figure out how to condense this into 15 seconds, including only the most important things that will appeal to the right employers. Help!
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: My Resume on the Radio

Postby educguess » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:51 pm

Your last statement is your starting statement. Then give your special skills and let them know you are formally trained. use your special style to do the 15 seconds!!! You are a the winner!!
[color=#4000BF]"How To" LIfe Consultants, LLC " Personal Development for Mult-talented Individuals" http://www.HowToInLife.com [/color]
educguess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby katchal » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:10 pm

Skip all the resume crap - you can put that on your LinkedIn page or a web page. Focus on measurable, memorable accomplishments that show how you could add value for the type of organization you want to join. Something like, "Hi, I'm Katherine. I specialize in building marketing organizations for early-stage startups. Last year my marketing programs originated or influenced more than 40% of the deals in our company's sales pipeline. Visit my website at www______.com to learn how I can add value for your company." The entire point of the radio spot is to drive people to your website, not to get you a job. Then the whole point of your website is to get you an interview. Sell only the next step in the process. Your website should have your resume, stories about successful projects you're proud of and sample interview questions. If you have a blog that discusses professional topics so much the better. (A blog about thimble collecting or some such would not be helpful obviously.) Hope this helps.
katchal
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:54 am

This sounds similar to an "elevator speech". If you Google that term you'll find lots of advice.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby shparks » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:59 pm

This is what I ended up saying: "I'm Shawn Parks. I have a Masters in Teaching, specializing in Middle School Science, a Professional Writing Certificate, and a Bachelors in Social Science. I am looking for work in education, library, media, journalism, research, or nonprofit."
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners