Going Scanner Crazy

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Going Scanner Crazy

Postby Ilah » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:43 am

I think I should clarify what I went when I talked about "wasting" money. I believe that being happy is important. More important that having a big house (I live in a condo) designer clothes, luxury car, etc. Spending money on something that makes you happy is never a waste to me, but other people percieve it as a waste. That is why I put it in quotes. I am responsable with my money. I have a certain amount budgeted each month period for my play money. It is not a lot, but I can often buy more supplies that I can use each month. On the subject of ADD. Medication is not the only answer. There are some people that need medication, but other people can get by without it. Getting by without doesn't mean just trying harder or working more. It mean educating yourself about ADD and reading about some things that have helped other people. Read through books on adult ADD and check out ADDerworld on Ning. A book that has helped me a lot is Fidget to Focus. I have ADD - probably (no offical diagnosis). For most of my life my strategy consisted of mostly working harder and couple minor tricks. Now I am educating myself about ADD and trying different things. It makes a big difference.
Ilah
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby shparks » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:59 am

Ilah wrote: Spending money on something that makes you happy is never a waste to me, but other people percieve it as a waste. That is why I put it in quotes.
Sometimes I would spend money on things that I didn't even really want all that much, just because I wanted to buy something new and / or because I was too impatient to wait until I could get it for cheap or for free later. For example, I would buy graphic novels without even checking to see if I could get them from the library. Or I might buy TV shows on DVD that I only sort of liked and would probably not even watch more than once. You might say I have gone through periods where I struggled with "shopism." Now, because I have no money, I hardly make any purchases. But if I ever do have money some day, I plan to be more careful with how I spend it. I want to only buy things that I really want, and that I am actually going to use. I do not want to go back to buying things on impulse. Basically I want to be more efficient in how I "waste" my money.
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Ilah » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:06 pm

I see. I am kind of the opposite. My mom got upset with my getting tired of things after a few months. Sometimes she would make me wait 2 or 3 months before buying things to make sure I still wanted. And then most of the time she still would not buy it, because I had a history of growing tired of stuff two quickly. :cry: She said anything I got tired of after less than a year - i.e. everything - was a waste of money. If she did buy it, there would be endless rounds of comparison shopping before it was bought. All for something that cost $10-$20. This was in 1970's money, but still it wasn't like it was a major purchase. I am not sure there is even a word for this kind of extreme anti-impulsiveness. I wonder if I was born naturally impulsive and it just got hammered out of me completely. In addition to being a scanner I (probably) have ADD, so it is unexpected that I am not impulsive. Anyway, overcoming this mentality and just being able to spend money normally has been a process for me. So for me to be able to see something small I want and buy it the same day is a good thing. My husband has come up with a budget where we each have a set amount of money for each of us can spend on whatever we want. If it wasn't for that, I would probably spend far less on myself than I do know. I felt a sense of relief learning about scanners. As long as I stay within budget, and I always do, I can buy things without feeling bad about getting tired of them.
Ilah
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Andreya » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:29 am

Hi Flipjango! I can really relate to 'hating the pressure' idea! Can you make 'looking for presenter job' etc into a game or something? (eg challenge yourself to come up with so-and-so much leads/rejections/odd ppl to have on your list?) Also, could you consult people on how to do management consulting or such? (It seems such a 'WOW' job, odd that you resent it so much!) Maybe companies (or schools!) could even like education on how to educate in-house consultants/teachers? (just a wild guess? The LTTL idea - learn, try, teach, leave - from Refuse to Choose - loved it!!) Have you read any books by Alan Weiss on consulting? And have you written any books or articles on the chosen topics? (It seems almost a necessity to position one as an 'expert'-?) What exactly about consulting do you hate? (Just the hours or...?) Following Barbara Sher's advice from Wishcraft etc I've done some stuff I really wanted to do too, and then sort of froze when it came to 'too much pressure' or a problem I didn't know how to go around.. (Which made me a cyclical scanner sort of, lol..) I really like the idea that 'There are always several ways into a castle', so maybe just try to come up with various ways, and try them? You are much better off than MANY scanners out there - you actually make great money, live in London, and are getting married!! (Some of us do partly stuff we love, but haven't come near those things, lol!) I totally ADMIRE you!! As for London, is it non-negotiable? (Since other places might be cheaper?) Is there stuff you and your man could do from home or elsewhere too? Could you even get married elsewhere? (You'd probably need to check travel/overnight costs) Could you start a YouTube channel showcasing your presenting? (Thus having fun presenting and maybe even position yourself as a science expert?) How about presenting biz-related or management topics? (Maybe it'd be easier to get work in that area first, with your credentials?) I'm thinking about making avocation stations from drawers or shelfs, and have set up a filing system according to David Allen and GTD. Have partly reorganized my e-mail accounts to make more sense and be more 'overseeable'.. Still to reorganize my computer files also.. As for the money, hmm.. I probably got caught up in the 'mind trap' of 'either/or' too.. though some people clearly do both things they love AND get money easily, and enjoy it.. No easy answers for you, just know you are not alone.. Maybe the question is how to reduce pressure so that all things will be more doable? Have you tried brainstorming on ways how to make things you hate more fun? (Sometimes it's easy to find obstacles and options, some may be a bit more tricky and need more ways of combatting that!) Do you have a 'lamenting/Hard Times journal' or support group of people who 'understand'? (Ideally in RL too!) What does The Man say? Can he get a better/more-paying job or career, or market himself more if he's an artist/musician or such?
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Previous

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners