can't stick with one style

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

can't stick with one style

Postby Ilah » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:55 am

Is it a scanner thing, not wanting to pick one style and stay with it? It seems like every couple of years, I change the style of clothing and accessories I wear. This is not related in any way to what is in at the time. Now I am moving toward just having many different styles in my closet. I dislike plain, ordinary looking clothing. That is about the only constant. I am attracted to unusual pieces and often make or modify my clothes. It doesn't matter if it looks punk or Victorian, if it looks unique and eye catching I am drawn to it. I can't really settle down to one set of color combination either. I like black. I like bright colors. I like dark colors. I like light colors. I like earth tones. I like black and white together. I have read some of the "find your style" books and picked a style, but feel too ristricted just sticking to one style.
Ilah
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: can't stick with one style

Postby Andreya » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:16 am

lol Is it a problem for you, or just an observation? ;) Other than that, I think it's called 'fashion'! The fashion industry actively wants you (and everyone else) to reinvent yourself every season and every year buy more more more...!! Actually, I think you're pretty awesome!! WOW, punk or Victorian or steampunk or some very awesome other combos out there!! for making or modifying your own clothes - I so admire you!! I love similar exciting stuff, can't really get away with much in our very small town, and don't have the mad skills to do historical clothing and such (yet!) I hope to learn and be able to make such awesome and exciting clothes too!! Have you read 'Endless Energy'? - awesome book, a bit dated maybe - the authors give advice on 'fashion from within' - basically recognizing archetypes that inspire and 'drive' you forward, and dressing accordingly! I have many archetypes, and so do most people, probably.. It's fun to even just wear one article of clothing in that particular style & be inspired with energy! So when I feel like 'Mother Earth'/eco-type of clothing, I go for natural fabrics, or olive green.. When I feel fun & exuberant, I go for red or magenta, I like to mix and match odd styles and retro clothing too (sometimes with newer stuff).. Retro is more eco anyway :) I think it's natural to want to dress up in many different styles (according to mood/occasion), and can't understand people who just want to wear one style or one color all the time lol! (Though I have some favorite items lol!)
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Ilah » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:21 pm

Andreya wrote:lol Is it a problem for you, or just an observation? ;) Other than that, I think it's called 'fashion'! The fashion industry actively wants you (and everyone else) to reinvent yourself every season and every year buy more more more...!!
Actually most of my clothes (not counting socks and underwear) are from thrift stores or things I make myself or my old clothing that I alter. I like thrift stores because the clothes there is more interesting. And cheaper. And it is more eco-friendly to buy used. So probably the fashion industry doesn't like me very much, since I am not giving them any of my money. :lol: I used to think of it as an issue. Why haven't I "found my style" yet? Before I read Barabara's book, I used to think "why haven't I found my passion yet." Now I realize that my "passion" is not one thing, but doing many things. The two questions are very similiar.
Ilah
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby kashtanka » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:26 pm

I have eclectic taste too, not so much in the styles I wear but in the stores I select to shop at. I love shopping at thrift stores for the same reasons you do, to find unique things and things that would cost a lot if bought new. On the other hand, I like to shop at stores like Coldwater Creek, Talbots, Chico's, and Christopher and Banks for the classic type clothing that will stay in my closet a long time. I have never thrown out anything I've bought at Coldwater Creek for instance because I never get tired of the things I bought. I have thrown out thrift store clothing though, maybe because I know I can buy similar things later for the same low prices. I like to stick to a certain color palette because of what I've learned about colors for skin tones and hair colors. It took me years to find the particular style that I have, mostly classic clothing with a good fit and a few funky things for fun. For example I have a tunic with a zebra pattern with large rhinestones around the V neck collar. My husband calls it Bohemian, but I like to think it expresses how I feel on certain days - a little daring.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners