Stuck Scanning

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Stuck Scanning

Postby unicycle » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:23 pm

Hello Fellow Scanners - Happy New Year!

Here we are on the cusp of a new year and I find myself in the same miserable spot I am every year end - stuck! I wonder how many of us are in that same boat. Sometimes I think maybe I'm just mentally ill and can't decide what to do with my life. You see I hurt myself on the job last month and there's a chance I might not be able to return to that same job. It wouldn't be the end of the world since it's a total miss-match anyway, but it pays the bills - it's maybe the 'good enough' job.

So I'm taking time to consider where I might go from here - again. But the window won't stay open for long and I find myself desperately trying to solve my career problem as fast as possible before they send me back to work. I'm trying so hard to fix it during this short recovery time that I'm almost as stressed as when I was working. This is my chance to redeem the days before they are once again taken from me by my JOB.

I have read all the books (currently working my way through Marcus Buckingham, Barbara Sher, and Margaret Lobenstine). I've gone through career counseling and done a dozen or so personality profiles and assessments. I've joined social networks, brushed up my LinkedIN profile, my resume, set job alerts on a dozen job boards, and organized my files so well I can't find anything. Sometimes it feels like that's all I'm doing is reading books (I think I might have inadvertently become a career expert). I love to read books but it doesn't pay the mortgage.

And I start things... and start things...and start things (businesses, books, programs, websites, articles, paintings, inventions and more). And I don't finish anything (I have over 300 unfinished writing projects!).

The books I read make sense to me but they don't change me. All the homework assignments make sense to me and I even enjoy them - but they don't change me. Just today I have come up with 3 more things I could do with my life but I explore them a few levels deeper and get distracted by another idea. Have you heard that saying, "I don't have ADD, I have ADOS - Attention Deficit...Ooh, Shiny!"

I wonder if I'm suffering from information overload and can hardly even remember what I've read half the time. I have built for myself a veritable galaxy of intentions and I'm just caught up and lost in space. Sometimes I think I should just go work on a tree farm or something. You know, just get out of all this searching and do something simple and quiet and useful. I become sick of myself and I feel useless. Anyone else feel like that? I have a basic understanding of, and interest in, so many things but I'm mediocre at best at a couple of them. Someone told me today to be ready to hand off my resume because a job might be coming up but I'm terrified I might actually get it and end up locked in another J.O.B. I need to float, to explore, to discover but I'm left feeling like I have no skills anyone really wants. I'm also frightened that all this searching is just laziness dressed up to look like busyness. This summer I turn 50 and everyone wants me to start thinking about retirement. But I can't think about that - even if I knew what I wanted to do when I grow up, I wouldn't ever want to retire. I'm worried that when retirement comes, forced or otherwise, I will still be reading these books and taking assessments and still not know what in the world to focus on in my remaining days. Is this typical of a scanner? What can I do? Stuck.
unicycle
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Stuck Scanning

Postby Ilah » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:55 pm

Hello unicycle, I have ADD or as I like to think of it AD-HLAS. Attention defi - Hey look, a squirrel. If you have problems finishing things, it might be because your projects are too big. Try smaller projects and see if it works. If you are a high speed scanner that gets board of something after a week or even a day, you need something you can finish in a week or a day. Small things can be made into big projects later. For example instead of a book you could write short stories. After a while you can have a book of short stories. Something that helps me is to pick 3 or 4 projects. Working on one project for a whole day is sometimes too much, but switching back and forth between 3 or 4 is about right. Don't add another project till you finish the one you are working on. All 4 will get done in about the same time it would take to do all of them one at time.
Ilah
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby unicycle » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:21 pm

Thanks Ilah. I like the squirrel idea - reminds me of that movie 'UP'. I have tried taking on smaller projects or even breaking bigger ones into smaller ones but to no avail. I tend to take on projects of many shapes and sizes but since my work takes me away from them, they sit waiting for me. And then while I'm at work I come up with new ones that I sketch out when I get home. And that's the cycle - constantly sketching out ideas but never fully fleshing them out or implementing them. At the same time I feel like there is this hidden thing inside that's waiting to be revealed - the one big thing I should do with my life but I can't quite see it. Or maybe not even the one big thing but the key that suddenly unlocks everything and makes it all makes sense such as revealing an 'umbrella' career path or something. Do you ever get that feeling? And so I keep doing everything in hopes that the one big thing or the key eventually emerges. And I fear I'll still be saying that when I'm sipping soup in the nursing home. I don't know if there's an answer - but thanks for listening.
unicycle
New Poster
New Poster

Postby sweetsoulmusic » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:27 pm

Greetings Unicycle! I do have to admit, its fantastic to know there is a world of people out there struggling in the same ways, gives a good sense of community in a way.

The world is a very funny place. It seems, at first, in order to make money we must sacrifice ourselves and do what society wants. Too bad there is not a career counselor for the gifted scanner population! Granted they wouldn't have the answers, it would help.

For me, I've found half of the battle is learning to accept yourself. I spend so much time beating up myself that I don't really see clearly anymore. I've been going to a counselor since Feburary. She's a different kind of counselor... she works with Gifted people. It's nice to be able to talk about myself as a human and talk about my struggles with the world. Most of the time, I've found throughout life its hard for me to connect with people. I've been lucky and been able to surround myself with people I connect with.

I think one of the faults of gifted/scanners is that we forget our humanity. We can learn so much, so fast that it enables us to treat ourselves as though we should be able to be great at everything, and when we are not great at everything... we beat ourselves up. Personally, I know I am extremely guilty of treating my brain like a computer. Feeling guilty when things come easy and feeling guilty when I'm not good at everything I try.

See, I've always had this theory that 60 is actually middle age. Science (and the bible if you believe in that sort of thing) both declared the human age capacity is 120 years. Mentally, people do not begin to turn into adults until they are around 50s-60s. In fact, the human intellectual peak is between 45 and 60. It seems to me that intellectually, biologically and in the maturity sense... 60 seems like the true human "middle-age". Even if you are about to turn 50, you still have 70 years left! =)

My boyfriend likes to remind me, "Ashley, its okay to slow down for one day. You have 95 years left to accomplish all that you want to do." haha! I completely understand what you mean about reading book after book,and never really feeling like you've accomplished anything. When "Refuse to Choose" suggested we make a list of all that we have done, there was a few accomplishments but most were inner growth. It felt like, am I ever going to have anything to show for it?? I think maybe we are looking in the wrong place? Maybe the scanner path really is drastically different than the rest of the world. I mean, if you look at the IQ scale for instance, if someone is in the extremely gifted category, then there are 1 in 1,000,000 people with an IQ of 160-180. That means 1 in 1,000,000 people are not going to understand the ways of that one person. I have to get back to my "good enough job" right now. But I hope this rant helped a little. Hope to talk with you further! - Ashley
sweetsoulmusic
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby unicycle » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:17 pm

Hello Ashley, Thanks for your encouraging words. 120 years you say...I feel younger already (and I am totally into the Bible, by the way. I wonder if Noah was a scanner - it took him an awful long time to build that boat.).

My grandfather lived a completely healthy life for 98 years so if I've got his genes I've got a while to go. You mentioned making sacrifices to do what society wants - this is something Marcus Buckingham touches on and it's really interesting. In terms of career counselors for the gifted scanner population, you're right - there's not a lot around but Barbara Sher has some good resources and maybe there's a career coach in your area.

Have you heard of 48Days? Try http://www.48Days.net - they have a strong coaching network there where you might find some help. Personally I don't have that problem - I'm not gifted and also struggle with Asperger's Syndrome which makes it even more challenging since it makes it hard to connect with people but for different reasons. I agree that simply learning to accept yourself is important. I think I need to work on that as I also tend to beat myself up a lot.

I also need to tell myself it's ok to relax a little - every moment of the day doesn't have to have meaning and connect with life's purpose. Every moment doesn't always have to be productive and move me toward a goal. It's ok to take some 'me' time. I don't actually live that way but I do try to tell myself that once in a while. Here's another book you might like to have a look at if you've got room in your life for more, 'Become Who You Were Born to Be' by Brian Souza. Hope you're enjoying your 'good enough' job. I'm recovering from mine right now. All the best.
unicycle
New Poster
New Poster

Postby sweetsoulmusic » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:31 pm

unicycle wrote:I also need to tell myself it's ok to relax a little - every moment of the day doesn't have to have meaning and connect with life's purpose. Every moment doesn't always have to be productive and move me toward a goal.
That is amazing to hear someone else say that!!! I wonder what it is about us scanners that makes us want to drive ourselves into the ground. Trying to prove ourselves? Hoping for answers? Maybe never losing the hope that just around the corner is the answer, and if we don't keep going we might miss the one time that it would work out? Who knows... probably different for everyone... Perhaps the box is too small and the walls are too wide. You really like a lot of those self-help books. It's cool! I do too. I want to write one one day. I feel like I need to get obstacles figured out before I can write books and give speeches to help people. I'm an encourager at heart. I think thats one of the spiritual gifts the bible lists, actually. I'm sure all of us wish we had some answers to give one another. Each of us are so incredibly different and we all long to be ourselves through and through. The answer has to be out there somewhere. God must have put something in our hearts, right? - Ashley
sweetsoulmusic
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby unicycle » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:19 pm

sweetsoulmusic wrote:Maybe never losing the hope that just around the corner is the answer, and if we don't keep going we might miss the one time that it would work out?
You got it! That's exactly how it feels and it's illuminating to see it put into words. Yes, I do like the self-help books although I prefer to call it 'personal development'. I know it's just semantics but it makes me feel better. I too am an encourager so we share a spiritual gift. And I'm also writing one of those books (several books actually) but a while ago I realized that no one writes them when they've got it all figured out. It's sort of like waiting until you're ready to have children - you'll never be ready. Actually, it seems to me that the process of writing often removes the obstacles we think are in the way. If you're old enough to remember Dr. Spock (not the Star Trek dude) you might also know that he recanted the whole idea he put forward in one of the most influential books of the 60s. I wonder if that's what's wrong with me - my Mother raised me on Dr. Spock. I'm convinced God did indeed put something special in each of us - we're all as unique as snowflakes. If you're interested in exploring that a bit further here's yet another personal development title for you: I highly recommend anything by Laurie Beth Jones but in particular I'd say 'The Path' which explores your mission, and 'Jesus, Life Coach' which illuminates the life and teachings of Christ in a way I've never seen it before. But this is not a religious book nor a book on theology or doctrine. It's not a book that seeks to make you feel bad about yourself and it's not preachy. Instead, it's a program that positions Jesus as a personal trainer and life coach. It's really good.
unicycle
New Poster
New Poster

Postby kashtanka » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:07 am

Unicycle, I agree with your statment about not having to have things figured out before you write a book. I remember the author of "Simple Abundance" saying in her book that she had the idea of living simply and abundantly, but she had to figure out how to do it by writing the book. She didn't want to be a phony and not practice what she suggested in her book. I don't mind that I have numerous ideas and not following through on them because I have an audience of family and friends who get a kick out of listening to my ideas. I'll say to my husband "I just had an idea", and he'll start off by saying something like "What college courses are you thinking of taking?' or "I hope you didn't come up with an idea that will cost money", but after I tell him my idea he smiles slowly and asks "How did you come up with that?" One of my brothers said the other day that I am one of the most talented and well rounded people he knows because I have about 15 interests and pursue them all at the same time. My son has said that I'm a good idea person, and he always runs things by me and then asks "What are my options?" I have also read many "personal development" books written by Christians. Some of my favorites are the ones written by Katie Brazelton: Pathway to Purose for Women, Praying for Purpose for Women, and Conversations on Purpose for Women. Another good one is "When a Women Discovers Her Dream". (Finding God's Purpose for Your Life) I have read this book about 100 times and I never get tired of it. There are others but they escape me right now. One of them had a title like Creative Christians. I am going to look for the book you mentioned about Jesus being a Life Coach.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:30 am

This thread touches a lot of things I've been going through in life too. I, too have thought for a long time thsat I will live to be about 120...long lived genes in the family, advances in health care and nutrition, etc...make that a probable scenario....so at 56 I'm not even half way done with life., That thought gives me a lot of energy, hope for a productive future that can contribute significantly, positively to society, goals, and desire to be as healthy and happy as possible for the last 60+ years of my life.

There is also a sense that if I want to do something in this life I'd better do it NOW or the chance may pass me by. Things seem to have become a little more imperitive, time has taken on a different perspective.

That also seems to make the fear of doing something I've really wanted to do for a long time,but put off out of fears/insecurities, lessen. For instance, For a long time I've wanted to adopt a child, but never seemed to get around to actually doing it because of fear/insecurity...

then at about age 49--50 someone I worked with adopted twins...I worked up the courage to ask her if they take single moms to adopt too...she encouraged me to call the agency..I did..it took almost two years of gathering paperwork/delays on the part of the country I was adopting from...but I did adopt a little girl

...despite all my fears...the feeling that this was my last chance in life to do this, & if I didn't do it then I'd regret it for the rest of mu life helped drive me to complete the adoption. It was very successful. In the end I found out that there was an age limit on adoptions and that I was at the top end of age limit and it really was my last chance to adopt....Now at 56 I would not qualify through that program...although I think I might not be too old to be a foster parent if I find I want that...but not right at this second. With other projects I find that time imperitive feeling also....it actually is a helpful feeling in figuring out what I really want and completing those goals. (The tree farm idea sounds like fun???) Then you talk about beating yourself up. I, too have had a life of doing that...way too often...I've had to force myself to stop...Honey, you're 50.....time to be the best friend to yourself that you've always wanted to have.....Do you really want to go through the next (last) 60 years of your life beating yourself up...filled with angry/hate feelings toward yourself....I think not...certainly not me...I want the last half of my life to be filled with happiness and joy and 'beating myself up' just simply does not fit into that scenario...so I've had to 'dump' the 'beating myself up' idea out of my life...it's a waste of time to beat yourself up anyway..it doesn't really accomplish anything positive...and who wants to feel miserable...it does take work to stop....because it is such a habit------a bad habit. The 'relax' you mentioned also reminded me of me. About a year and a half ago I went through a battle with 'relaxing'...I was so busy all the time, and stressed, there was always so much to do and so little time it was exhausting....I was getting way overstressed...and very unhappy...I decided I needed to schedule regular time to relax....so I followed the "Biblical schedule" for life for a many months....the Bible tells people to give themselves one day a week to relax completely....they don't do anything on that one day....not even cook...I forced myself to follow that kind of schedule...thank goodness too...I think I would have suffered some kind of exhaustive breakdown if I hadn't done that...I now remember to schedule 'relax time' into my life....and I've read some books on 'extreme self care' and believe that that's important.....so the house isn't immaculate....fairly clean will just have to do.... It helps, at this age, to get yourself some age-appropriate "heroes". I have a few (and am on the watch for more): Oprah; Barbara Sher; Meryl Streep; a little 70 y/o lady I saw rollerskating on a beach pathway one day a few years ago...to mention a few...all women that are making the transition into the older time of life as contributors, with grace, health and beauty.......they are my 'heroes". I've never done those personality profiles....maybe once long ago(?)...At this age my personality is what it is......I am too unique to be defined with any of those tests....try this for fun...get an unlined sheet of paper...write your first name in the center, bold letters, or circle it....now randomly around it write all the words that come to mind that are your characteristics and/or characteristics that you would like to develop (I wrote 'Financial Genius"--I would like to be that)--make it artsy looking if you like---when you're done hang it where you'll see it every day---I hung mine above my computer screen----and I periodically redo it---that did more to help me 'find' 'define' myself than a whole lot of self help books (although I'm addicted to reading those too)... Yes, my mom was an avid Dr. Spock reader too....he did more damage to our generation than all the drugs, music, craziness of the 60's combined.....he said 'don't hug' your kids, it'll spoil them...so, my mom, being a bit neurotic, didn't touch us for months.....even back then parents had self esteem problems, self-doubts and didn't trust their own parenting instincts...so they listened to the crazy suggestions of Dr. Spock.....(he was not a MOM....so he was not an expert in being a MOM....I wonder if he ever even had any kids of his own) Yes, I'm a scanner too...and at a crossroads in life about a job/career....so at age 56 I'm going back to school for a masters degree....no, I'll never be able to retire either...this economy has all but destroyed my chance at ever doing that...but my Masters Degree will help me with a career adjustment that may give me more time/finances to do a little traveling, live well in my 'kinda-like retirement' years. I'm not saying I have all the answers....still have a lot of questions....but am adjusting my life as it goes along...and I'm determined to be happy no matter what... It is a spiritual journey sallypz(MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Andreya » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:39 am

WOW, Kashtanka, I really admire you!! It's amazing you get such wonderful support for your ideas from your family and loved ones! Has it been like that from the very beginning, or have you worked on making this happen (and how?) Also, is your husband the primary bread-winner, or do you have creative ways for making a living with your talents too? 'a career counselor for the gifted scanner population!' - sounds like an awesome thing!! Know any? (Or one of us on the board might become one, he he?) I've been thinking to go find that adult gifted forum again... Unicycle & Sweetsoulmusic, again, I can soo.. relate! :) I've sometimes wondered if I might be on the Asperger's continuum too (never diagnosed) Have just looked at the shelf of self-help books the other day, when organizing the attic (am trying to make my shelfs and drawers into avocation stations - wish me luck!!) Has anyone on the boards actually done it? (And how? Are there pics?) If you can't find anything now that you've organized, maybe try re-labelling? - How did you do it, binders or folders? I had binders for years, and this year switched to folders (GTD-way, but improvised folders, anything I found in the house, or DIY) I like folders much better, cause it's easier to insert and find things... I still kept some 'archives' in binders. I used to fret retirement too, but then when I took some time 'off' (to write the book, which turned out into 'books' and songs..) someone suggested I was 'retired' already... Soo.. I wouldn't mind being 'retired' if it meant getting money while pursuing my interests!! Just think of it as 'passive income' while you 'do your own things'! The thing is how to get there, lol! You can still work or create businesses when 'retired', you know! As for the job - maybe just take the existing one, if nothing better pops up - you can always leave later? If something better pops up, talk to anyone working there (about job atmosphere, co-workers, any problems, how work is done..) and see if it's really better.. (based on what you liked and disliked in previous jobs) 'One can survive anything for 3 months' is my motto... Unfortunately there may be some ageism in some industries or jobs, so this might be something to keep in mind with regard to jobs/careers to choose. Might be helpful to observe successful people who did remarkable things well into their age.. WOW, relatives at 98!! Go you!! Have you tried finding people who might benefit from your starts/ideas/beginnings? I found songs/poetry or articles easiest to finish (still have 40+ short stories in the 'beginning' stage lol) and 5+ novels I'd like to finish! (And these are just a few of my projects, lol!) I really like the idea about not having to have all the answers before you write a book. (Does it apply to just starting or also finishing a book? ;)) I actually start some of my books as explorations, and explore stuff through them, and then my novel may nudge me to do somethings in RL, and then I'm in scanner trouble. :) (As in, 'now I wanna do this, eg develop these eco projects in RL', and the book becomes less important, lol!) I even 'translated' some of the 'psychology insights' into songs and I think they're pretty cool.. Then didn't get round to recording them proper yet.. And 'here we go again' lol! Sallypz - how do you pre-cook for '1-day-off' then? Do you prepare everything the previous day, or just defrost or..? Very inspiring thread!
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby kashtanka » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:02 am

I admire you too Andreya! You've got a lot of writing going on! What types of articles and stories do you write? Do you by chance write anything for children? Have you ever submitted any of your writing to publishers? I love doing that because every day is ripe with expecation when the mailman comes. About getting support from family and friends, I don't have a clue how it happened. Maybe they like hearing someone who's excited about something other than what their reality is. I don't have any streams of income from anything at the moment but I do receive a pension which is a large portion of the household income. Sometimes I want to go back to work, and sometimes I'm really glad I don't have to.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby unicycle » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:32 pm

Wow, things really heated up in this forum. If I ever thought I was alone on this scanning journey I sure know I'm not now. You are all very talented imaginative people.
Andreya wrote:I really like the idea about not having to have all the answers before you write a book. (Does it apply to just starting or also finishing a book? ;)) I actually start some of my books as explorations, and explore stuff through them, and then my novel may nudge me to do somethings in RL, and then I'm in scanner trouble. :) (As in, 'now I wanna do this, eg develop these eco projects in RL', and the book becomes less important, lol!)
Starting a book as a means to explore is a great idea. In fact I think that's what all authors are really doing - exploring. And it's a lot like the scanners life - we're like explorers out on the ocean. We set our sails but the currents and wind carry us along. We might drift off course but we always arrive...somewhere. And I don't think scanners ultimately care where 'somewhere' is as long as we're on the journey. I'm hearing that a lot of scanners like to write. Could it be that all scanners are really writers? I mean, look at this entire 'Refuse to Choose' forum. It's just packed with writing and stories of people on this journey. It's amazing. Someone suggested becoming a scanner coach - and of course now I'm thinking that might be cool. So I'm considering that today but who knows what will take my attention tomorrow. But that's ok, right? And I was joking about the tree farm but ever since I wrote it I've been thinking about it. I didn't just pick it out of thin air though - I've always wondered what life is like for a tree farmer. Might be really interesting.
sallypz wrote:At this age my personality is what it is......I am too unique to be defined with any of those tests....try this for fun...get an unlined sheet of paper...write your first name in the center, bold letters, or circle it....now randomly around it write all the words that come to mind that are your characteristics and/or characteristics that you would like to develop (I wrote 'Financial Genius"--I would like to be that)--make it artsy looking if you like---when you're done hang it where you'll see it every day---I hung mine above my computer screen----and I periodically redo it---that did more to help me 'find' 'define' myself than a whole lot of self help books (although I'm addicted to reading those too)...
You make an interesting point here. I've taken tons of these assessments and they all fail to define me correctly. My numbers or letters or colors always contain 2 that fall right on an intersecting point and it messes up the whole process. If I run the numbers again it doesn't work because by then I've figured the whole thing out and I can make it say whatever I want. They just don't seem to work for me and maybe that's true for all scanners. Congratulations on going for your masters at 56! I admire you for that and wish you all the best in your studies.
kashtanka wrote:I don't mind that I have numerous ideas and not following through on them because I have an audience of family and friends who get a kick out of listening to my ideas. I'll say to my husband "I just had an idea", and he'll start off by saying something like "What college courses are you thinking of taking?' or "I hope you didn't come up with an idea that will cost money", but after I tell him my idea he smiles slowly and asks "How did you come up with that?"
That's funny. I get the same sort of comments at my house. I might exclaim about some new idea as if I'd never had one before and my wife will just stare at me blankly like I'm some boring repeat tv show or something. It looks like you enjoy books that are geared toward women - did you see my recommendation for Marcus Buckingham's latest? It's written especially for women but I was thinking of reading it anyway because it just looks so interesting. Have you read any Florence Litauer books? One of my favorites was called 'Dare to Dream'. It's a bit old now but it's really good. She's a very entertaining writer. Well, that's all from me for the day. Hopefully we can all relax a little over the next couple of days and enjoy ringing in the new year. Let's all try not to get too distracted from our 2010 goal setting. I have to go update my reading list - 60 books read in '09 (why do I always make it some sort of personal contest every year?). Yes, I actually keep track, otherwise I'd forget and bring them home from the library again because they looked interesting. I'm going to try harder to read less this year and write more. Blessings for 2010 everybody!
unicycle
New Poster
New Poster

Postby kashtanka » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:17 am

Unicylce, I have read Mark Buckingham's book "Go put your strengths to Work", but I didn't see your mention of a new book that came out geared towards women. Sounds intriguing. I do read a lot of books for women because the Christian bookstore that I go to has a seperate section of them. I also read about deeper topics in Christian books, but when I first became a Christian in 2002 I gravitated towards women's books only. Now when I go to the store I don't know what I'm going to get. When you wrote about working on a treefarm, my first thought was, why not? It's funny that you came back today and said that you were considering it. I know of people who have given up stressful jobs and have done things that require hard physical labor and they love it. My dad was a Forestry Technician working at a tree nursery for most of his working life (he worked there 49 years), and he always said that it was good honest work. I think that's why he was able to cope with the stress of having ten children. Anyway, I encourage you to think about it more because it could be the job that knocks your socks off! I forgot to answer your question. I may have read some of Florence's Litauers books because the title "Dare to Dream" is a book I'd be attracted to, but I can't say for sure as I've read so many books from the library when I was just beginning to look for my purpose in life. Good luck with your treefarm decision!
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Andreya » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:30 am

Interesting about the treefarm! What kind of tree farm would it be? I've always wanted to live on a farm with an orchard, only in ideal life I'd be a writer and also have other streams of income and the farm thing would be just for fun mostly, I'd have a herb garden and a real garden and a few sheep and goats (just for pets and for milk mostly). My uncle does have a farm, mostly cows for milk, the orchard has been neglected. It's not an eco farm though (not enough land) and I'd need enough other money streams to make something like this work. I still started to learn gardening and some simple 'farm' stuff this year, 'just to practise' and see if I would like it at all.. (And because I don't wish to buy genetically modified food or beans from Argentina or garlic from China!) Some of it is real hard work, and some of it is REALLY enjoyable. So if you hadn't had a chance for something like this, try to figure out if someone has a tree farm and you could help out - it doesn't even have to be a 'real job' at first. Or you could both have a job elsewhere and a tree farm. Lots of farmers here live this way: one person (husband or wife) has a job, and one stays at home and works on the farm. (Since regular farming is not so very profitable here and the farms are mostly quite small.) I must tell you there is a real learning curve, lol.. I grasp most academic things really easily, the kinaesthetic stuff, not so very easily! There are a lot of older farmers out there, who will eventually need help (or already do) - take a look around and maybe try to get a better grasp over what you would be most interested in! (And yes, there are goat and sheep forums and lots of info out there, lol!) Oh, how about soapnuts treefarming? Apparently they can be grown in some parts of USA too, some people have experimented with that already! (At the time it's probably still cheaper to import from India, some people already wonder about how eco it is to ship stuff across half the world, though!) Kashtanka, thanks! :) I mostly wrote eco articles this year, wrote and intend to write others too.. The stories are mostly unfinished, science fiction romance or fantasy romance, or mystery romance lol.. The novels are science fiction romance and contemporary eco romance too.. :) What kind of stories and articles do you write? I still haven't figured out the money thing yet.. Maybe that's why the family has not been so supportive.. I guess having a pension or other money streams of income can make it all muuch easier!! I keep figuring the 'higher aspects' (eg it's needed/important/helpful) are more important, and they keep reminding me I need to make money from it, sigh. I did get paid for the articles I wrote, not so much though, and I want to get into other higher-paying markets too. Having so many great ideas to write about makes it difficult to just choose a few, and how to figure out what is most important, which are best to write about first? etc. How do you decide on these things and on markets to send your stuff to? Do you have a system in place? (Going to something like Writers' Market and Googling the magazines just makes me get all these wonderful ideas of what I could write (or do), and then I just kinda got overwhelmed and stuck with it, and didn't send stuff to any of those, hm!) I guess I've had trouble prioritizing or selecting (just wanted to do them all, lol!).. PS Did you send that query?!! :) I don't think it's just writers here, maybe since Barbara Sher also teaches Write/Speak it's natural for those scanners who are also interested in writing (as one of the interests!:)) to come here.. A few years ago someone complained there were a lot of people here trying to figure out how to make money with art/creativity.. If you're a successful scanner like Richard Branson you're called a successful businessman, lol! I think the scanners who have figured it all out are too busy doing things in RL, it's mainly the ones still trying to get it all together that are looking for ways and connections and inspiration on how to make it work here.. Sometimes writing is out of frustration or as a means to avoid something else too, lol! I've been to some writers forums too, trust me, not all writers are scanners! :) Or some are happy with their routines and mostly-writing-focused lives or they balance easily between writing, family and other things eg jobs or interests/hobbies/volunteer work etc. I wish I could learn how to do that too! Blessings for 2010 to everyone indeed!! Wishing you lots of exciting, wonderful new adventures, and to figure out how to keep the other adventures kinda exciting, too!
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby unicycle » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:20 pm

Andreya wrote:I think the scanners who have figured it all out are too busy doing things in RL, it's mainly the ones still trying to get it all together that are looking for ways and connections and inspiration on how to make it work here.. Sometimes writing is out of frustration or as a means to avoid something else too, lol!
Interesting point you make here. So when I notice people suddenly disappearing from the forum does that mean they have become successful or have found a RL? I'll have to give that some thought. But there's probably some truth in it. I am guilty of writing to avoid things but I also find that I avoid the writing as well - always something demanding my attention. But it's not really true that things are demanding anything - it's often me giving them too much space. I haven't seriously looked into tree farming but I pass farms all the time on my truck route. It's seasonal up here in Canada though so I'm not sure how it works. I wouldn't want the overhead of a greenhouse big enough for trees. But I've always been interested in landscape architecture so maybe there's a connection there. I've never heard of soapnuts - I'll have to read up on that. But it'll have to wait until 2010. All the best.
unicycle
New Poster
New Poster

Next

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners