Left or righthanded

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Left or right handed?

Left
38%
right
62%

Total votes : 21

Left or righthanded

Postby Scannertimes » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:05 am

If the scanner brain is genetic I am wondering what proportion of scanners are left or right handed. I' left handed. What about you?
Scannertimes
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Left or righthanded

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:41 am

I'm almost ambidextrous, it depends on what I'm doing. With writing (with a pen), I use my right hand still. If I ever lost the use of my right hand, I could pick up writing with my left fairly quickly, I think.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scannertimes » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:25 pm

Yes, I didn't think of that! I should have added that option. I too use different hands for different things - left for writing but right for using a knife, scissors, throwing things and I lead with my right foot when walking.
Scannertimes
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:57 pm

There was some research I just read about where they think right handedness might be evolutionary from when we began greeting each other millions of years ago and we extended our right hands to each other (the ancient handshake) relating to language and communication. They see chimpanzees doing this now when greeting each other. Since the left area of the brain has to to with language and the left motor cortex side of the brain controls the right side of our bodies, this makes sense. So, what it's saying is that we may have begun communicating with each other with gestures, and it became common to use the right hand for whatever reason, and then this intertwined into developing the language centers of the brain, and eventually we learned to communicate with languages and speech.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Vickih » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:20 am

Right handed for me. Don't know whether I'm a scanner or whether I just have a short attention span. Or maybe they are much the same thing! 'tis just a label after all! :lol:
www.yourspiritualself.com
Vickih
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Andreya » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:57 am

I'm righthanded but was always intrigued with ambidexterous or left-handed people and would like to be able to write better with my left hand too! :) Some people were told to use the right hand and were discouraged from using the left at school or at home in earlier times (and even more recently in some schools, I hear), so this may not be completely 100% certain, what they are now - some changed hands due to environment. Also, I don't think there would necessarily be a connection in this way - it's interesting to see the results already! :) There might be differences in brain research, study of neurons or brain activity.. That would be most interesting to see! (Brain scans of scanners, ppl with ADD and 'general population'!)
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby DJCNOR » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:20 pm

Add one more to the left handed total (which by the way is far beyond the representation in the general population which is 14%) (And also by the way, even rats have handedness. They know this by an experiement making the rats reach into a hole very close to corner of their cage to get food. 14% persist in trying to do it with their left paw, even when it's more uncomfortable. Same percentage as in humans. Handedness developed long before the apes. D
DJCNOR
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Wolf Goddess » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:05 pm

I notice a lot of artists and musicians are left handed. In art school there were a lot of left handed people. It seems to me that many left handed people are right brained and vice versa. The right side is the artistic side. I am right brained and right handed. I think it would be cool to be left handed. It goes without saying that nothing is 100 percent. Oprah Winfrey and Obama are both left handed. Yet they are superior business people: very left brained. WG
You will never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.
Visit Zebracorn Art Journeys at www.zebracorn.com
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:32 pm

I did a quick search and found numbers all over the board ranging from 70 to 95% are right handed. There doesn't seem to be a precise number. That's also assuming a rat is lower on the evolutionary chain than an ape. They both live in the present time. You could also almost say that poking for food is a sign of communication. Or trying to figure out the details of getting food. It's hard to tell with two examples of exceptional people what being left handed means. They are also visionaries. For me, maybe being artistic/creative and logical is why (I feel) I'm almost ambidextrous.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scannertimes » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:21 pm

So far the numbers are so teeny tiny that we can't say much. Also it could be the kind of question that more lefthanders respond to as we are in the minority and may therefore find it more interesting to participate.
Scannertimes
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Amberjade27 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:32 pm

I'm very much ambidexterous. I use my left hand for writing and eating and my right for everything else. Though I can interchange if I need to. Very interesting post.
Amberjade27
New User
New User

Postby Scannertimes » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:31 pm

Amberjade27, does that mean that you can write with your right hand too?
Scannertimes
New Poster
New Poster

Postby EagerLearner » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:11 am

Hi, I'm mainly left handed, and I use my left hand for writing, cutting and other things and my right for eating and other things too. I can interchange if I need to. Regards.
EagerLearner
New Poster
New Poster

Postby George » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:19 am

left handed writer, right handed thrower, eat right handed with knife and fork, left handed with chopsticks, tie shoes left handed, put on slip on's right handed...somethings left, somethings right...

When asked I say Left...just for convenience...

also hold pen shooting away from myself...does that matter? haha!

I assumed scanners would be mostly left handed...we need more voters.

George (third post)
George
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Maliades » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:10 am

I'm right handed. But, sometimes when my tendonitis is acting up, I have to switch my mouse to the left hand. Also, I have tried drawing and painting with my non-dominant hand. It's really good for silencing your inner critic, and opens up your creativity.

~Mal
Maliades
New Poster
New Poster

Next

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners