Help! How do I maintain interest

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Help! How do I maintain interest

Postby Fxguy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:10 am

Hello everyone, first time poster long time scanner here. I've been working through Barbara's book and almost finished with Chapter 5. The problem I am having is I am definately a cyclical scanner. However I don't seem to be able to figure out my rewards. I seem to float through my interests. My wife always asks me, so what are you into today? She will attest that I tend to rotate through my interests every so often. My problem is sometimes I will be into an interest for 3 months, sometimes for 3 days.It all depends on what the interest is, my mood, etc... I wish I could figure out what it is I'm after. For example, I'm taking a class on 3D Computer Animation and I was fine up until the first project. I was the best in the class on Project 1 and now project two is due in a week and a half and I've lost interest and therefor lost motivation. I started painting figures for one of my many board games, that lasted about a week. Most recently I am devouring whatever I can on training volunteers for technical ministry at our church. I'm looking for info to help me write a training curriculum for volunteers to help train them and recruit them. I work as a pharmacist and I feel that working 40 hours (6 days in a row, one day off, then three more in a row) has led to me being unable to paint figures and therefore led to a loss of interest in that. I just wish I could stop floating, I truly enjoy it, just learning for the sake of knowing something new, but when other people are involved its hard because expectations come up. Like with the Training curriculum, its great now and everyone is expecting the results, but I'm afraid if I loose interest that it wont get finished and I will let every one down. I mean I know I will finish but it might not be now, I may loose interest and not finish until I become interested the next time which could be a week, a month, or 3 months from now. Any suggestions?? Thanks Tim
Fxguy
New User
New User

Re: Help! How do I maintain interest

Postby Ilah » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:56 pm

I have the same thing with my interests not lasting the same lenght of time. I think I might be hybrid scanner of some type. Sometimes I just want to make something once. Sometimes I do it a whole bunch of times before I get tired. I have also noticed that I like projects I can complete quickly and things that don't take a long time to learn. I loose interest in things that take too long. I can sometimes stay with something longer if it is bunch of shorter projects. I think I stay with something longer if I can do new variations on it. If I am learning new information, new techniques about the same thing I can stay longer than if it is just more of the same. I am going to suggest some possible motivations. Let me know if any other these feel right to you. It can be a combination of these or something else. The joy of learning. The novelty of doing something new. The accomplishment of making something. Being able to do something you could not do before. Getting a certain level of competence. Exploration and discovery (of ideas, of techniques, of places) The challenge of doing or learning new things It seems to me on the computer class that seem to have mastered the basics and see no need to do more. I paint minis too sometimes. It can be pretty repetitive, especially if they are very similiar. If you do each one a bit different that is a little more interesting. Sometimes they are part of a set and it all has to be the same. That gets boring. What is the game you are painting them for?
Ilah
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Fxguy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:21 pm

Well I started painting minis for Descent: Journey's in the Dark which I got for my 30th B-Day. I specifically wanted it because it would be a game I could play with many variations, had the minis which could be a hobby project, and was more of an RPG than table top board game. I've gotten about half of the 200 minis prepped and primed and started with the skeletons and the heroes. The skeletons are pretty much done and about half the heroes have a base coat of skin tone and clothing thats red. Since then I've lost interest (or more so became involved in something else) I've toned it down a bit to paint minis for Shadows Over Camelot which only has 20 minis. Figured it would be easier to finish that and I could feel better about getting a game done. I think my problem is more I need to get away for a while to recharge my batteries where a particular interest is involved. Often once I am interested in something, I dive in 120% and devour as much as I can as fast as I can. Then I burn out and drop it for a while, then once I've been away long enough all it takes is a little spark to reignite the flame and I burn through it again going deeper than before, but then the same thing happens. Frustration sets in when work or life commitments interfere with my ability to devour and research. Tim
Fxguy
New User
New User

Postby Ilah » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:12 am

Well prepping and priming are pretty repetative. Painting skelatons sounds pretty repetativeas well, since you would be painting each one the same. Even though it might be more efficient to do everything in assembly line fashion, such as doing all the flesh colored parts at the same time, it is more interesting to break it up. Get a group of three to five and work on them from start to finish before starting a new batch. Also seeing a handful that are completely finished can give more of a sense of accomplishment than a large number of half finished minis.
Ilah
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Andreya » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:21 am

Well, I was wondering the same when I first read Refuse to Choose (earlier this year). Long time scanner too. At school or Uni, it was external motivators (exams, grades, that basically had me study and do things). I think I'm still pretty much the same. Eg if a project involves other people too I'd hate to let 'em down and do stuff just out of frustration cause I 'have to'. (Or Mum makes me do it :D .) Or I write down all options, even 'I don't do it', 'someone else (specific people) does it' (usually this means it would probably not be done as I'd wish it to), etc. Then I think about how I'd feel if each of them came true, and usually I dislike at least some of the options. Then I kinda at least do a mini step. And that can get the ball rolling. (Not sure if it makes sense?) If no one or nothing depends on it, or there's no deadline, I freely drop it. (Knowing I'd probably get back to it again.) I try to know other people's timelines and expectations too. (At least that's the ideal.) I think I'm wired in a way to get 'overburnt' too - I go into stuff 120% too, get overload, then need peace. BUT peace may simply mean another one of my interests, eg music/songwriting. So you can have a few things to rotate. You're lucky to have steady job anyway. Hobbies and interests that no one depends on can be switched easily. Or you add something that would make 'em more interesting? As for things involving other people, try not to over-promise, ideally under-promise (eg 'I'm not sure if it'll be possible..' or 'I'm also working on a couple of other projects' or 'We could try this..?') and over-deliver. And/or get help, get others to do part of it? Maybe try to do it (at least 3/4) before you mention anything and surprise people with it? Or just go for shorter and simple stuff? Or remember who/what you are doing it for? (Especially if you get frustrated.) Pray? ;) All these may help... If you have a deadline, like a meeting or someone 'from outside' who wants a progress report, these may help too.. It's an issue for me too, still working on it as well.. So, great thread!!
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners