Scanners and Grants: Any Experience/Ideas? Please Help!

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Scanners and Grants: Any Experience/Ideas? Please Help!

Postby Andreya » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:14 am

Okay, looking at all the grants available out there and lots of wonderful projects funded (from EU or other institutions/organisations), one cannot help but think it's a wonderful opportunity to make many wonderful things happen. (catalogues = Scanner Heaven! lol!)

Has anyone here actually applied for any grants to make charity or eco projects or such?

There are different grants with different terms, some pay money in advance, some later, different amounts of money get paid too... A lot needs to be planned in advance... (I was told it's better to be realistic and perhaps slightly underpromise and preferably overdeliver.)

There's the dreaded scanner question though: what if one loses interest while in the middle of it? (It's probably good to find other people who will see the project through to the end. At the beginning already, or later on?)

Any tips or tricks to maintain interest, to keep momentum high, or to co-operate with people from other countries on common projects etc?

PS. Happy Earth Day!
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Scanners and Grants: Any Experience/Ideas? Please Help!

Postby Andreya » Sun May 09, 2010 10:24 am

Well, I have seen that if I am bugged by someone to renew interest in something that doesn't interest me as much anymore, and I start thinking up ideas of what could be done (and connections with who else and what else etc, basically an idea party lol!), and what ELSE could be done, and the other person is being enthusiastic, I get enthusiastic about a project again!

Then, if they seem to lose interest or don't seem to communicate frequently enough, I may lose interest again.

How to choose own priorities and other people's priorities wisely? (They may have other priorities?) How to choose how much time one is willing to invest into other people's priorities etc? (When there's a ton of other interesting projects out there?)
Hmm?
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Ilah » Mon May 10, 2010 6:23 am

The is a book called Renainssance Souls by Margret Lobenstine that talks about priorities.

A Renaissance Soul is the same thing as scanner. Different authors, different terms, same idea.

The book has a section on values and priorities. All our values are important to us, but some are more important. There is a list of values given and you prioritize the values. If you have important values not on the list you can add them. Special emphasis is given to your top 5.

This can give a general guidance. For example, if ecology is on of our top priority then an ecology project would be worth our time. Also look at what other values are in the project. For example maybe it is an ecology project that is very community oriented. This would be good if community was one of your top values. But if community is not in your top 5, maybe another type of ecology based project would be better. If art is in the top 5, maybe something that is ecology + art would be better.

I don't think we can choose other people's priorities for them. I don't know if we should even try. It is best to just accept other people's values even if we disagree with them. The best we can do is to find some one whose values are compatible with ours.
Ilah
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Andreya » Thu May 13, 2010 1:38 pm

This is very interesting! Thanks!

I've done 'Top 5' priorities before, haven't really thought of them in terms of 'combinations'! (This just clicked with me a lot right now!)
I've been into doing 'eco cultural projects' and have started finding people with similar eco values this year... I'm also finding some people who may have not been very positive about these eco things before, and now they're more eco! :) Some seem to accept me and my ideas better as I know more about these things and have researched eco grants & such lol.... I am finding little ripples of effect and am very happy.. :)

I've looked up 'Renainssance Souls' online and liked it (it's one of the books to 'maybe buy' - ideally read in library before, ours don't have it I think.. Would you recommend buying it?)

Another thing about eco grants. I seem to be finding the timelines, YAY!! (The person at an info point said there are no timelines assembled together, some of the possible grants are issued by the same body and they have timelines established! :)) Ideally I'll find what could still be applied for this year and what not, and then I can check the possible projects and who could do them best etc. I don't even have to do them - could just hook people up with projects and grants-?!! :) And for some projects, you get more money if there are a lot of partners in the project anyway..

I wonder if UN also has a grant program, or what worldwide grants are like?
Not sure if EU grants will still exists for a while or how long? Some are only guaranteed till 2013 - and with what is happening in Greece... Sometimes one does wonder?? I heard Obama called a Spanish hotshot politician and told him to focus? hmm!!
If the EU or euro collapsed, what sense would it have to research these grants anyway? But in this event, community organizing and eco projects would be even more important, no?
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners