How to Get Paid for Ideas?

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

How to Get Paid for Ideas?

Postby Andreya » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:30 am

This has been touched upon in other threads, I think it deserves its own thread.

Scanners (or other idea people) may get EXCELLENT ideas that can get enthusiastically embraced by other institutions or organisations, and really good things can be done - how does one get paid for that though? (and when?)

I was warned that in the world of non-profits or NGOs, project ideas can get snatched quickly, and to make sure to be careful who you talk to, or to just hush until you've applied for a grant, and not mention them or show them to others freely. (Of course a scanner can always get MORE ideas, still it's nice to at least be thanked and appreciated, or possibly to get paid for at least some of them, if others get any money from that.)

I've read a few books on consulting, writing and speaking, they offer some basic info (not specifically for scanners though).

How do you know if an idea is something you'd like to do yourself (eg a project to apply for a grant with) or something another organisation could do better and get better results with? (In the end, I'm mostly interested in getting things done as WELL and as quickly as possible too, these grants and organisation of it all can take time..) So, maybe to split things into time-sensitive and long-term things, and to decide which ones would like to do them oneself (and if there are others who would help or take over if needed) and if there's interest or overlap with other organisations' goals..?
There's also the question of overlap with goals and wishes and grants and their target goals and timelines.

Anyone any experience with these things?
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: How to Get Paid for Ideas?

Postby Ilah » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:35 am

Looking at your history, how long to you usually stick with a project before loosing interest? Then estimate how long it would take for your project. Are the two a match?

For example if you normally get tired of a project after 3 months and your project will take 3 years, it is not a good match.

You might be able to pass the project off to someone else. Generally, it has to be up and running first before someone wants to take it. For example, you can found a company and then sell it off. It generally has to be up and running and reasonably successful before you can do that. You can’t really sell it off when it is still in the planning stages.

So that would probably take a few years. Based on your past history, can you sustain something three years?

Maybe you could find a partner at the early stages who would take it over before you are finished. You need to be very clear at the start that you are not in it for the long haul or the partner will be upset with you when you drop out.

It may take a few months to get back on the grant information. Would you still be interested in a few months or would you have moved on to something else?

Some other ideas for short term scanners:

I don’t think you can sell just the raw idea, but if you write a book about it you could sell the book. If you can’t write enough about it to make a book you could sell an article, booklet, pdf or e-document. If it is something that you can make a pattern or tutorial of that can be sold. If you name it after yourself then that increase that you get credit with it. “The Ilah Method of Pet Massage” “Ilah’s fabric roses” “Loose weight the Ilah Way.”

You could also give lectures on the idea.

Related ideas could be combined into a book. If you had lots of money saving ideas, but could only write a few pages on each one, they might be enough together for a book.

If the idea becomes really popular you possibly do a train the trainer kind of thing. Many things require people to be certified trainers before they can teach others or give lectures. You could set a business training people to be certified trainers. When you get tired of it, you can hand the certifying off to your top students.

There are lots of other ways of promoting your idea, but not all of them are money making ideas: websites, blogging, social networking groups, and internet videos.

I think it helps to be part of a community (real or virtual) that is connected with the idea. You are more likely to find people who are interested in taking up your idea.
Ilah
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby shparks » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:27 pm

Ilah wrote:
Some other ideas for short term scanners:

I don’t think you can sell just the raw idea, but if you write a book about it you could sell the book. If you can’t write enough about it to make a book you could sell an article, booklet, pdf or e-document. If it is something that you can make a pattern or tutorial of that can be sold. If you name it after yourself then that increase that you get credit with it. “The Ilah Method of Pet Massage” “Ilah’s fabric roses” “Loose weight the Ilah Way.”

I have thought about trying to write some nonfiction books. But as you said, I do not think that I could write enough about my ideas to make a whole book. I have come up with a few possible solutions to this problem:
Write one of those pocket-sized books that you see on display racks in book stores.
Collaborate with an expert on a subject related to your ideas.
Compile a book with ideas submitted by many other people, including my own ideas.
(example - http://www.amazon.com/How-Lose-000-lbs- ... =8-2-fkmr2)
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Andreya » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:39 pm

Thanks Ilah and Shparks!

Some very good questions!

I can maintain interest for 3 years if the project is complex and 'difficult' enough (and if I encounter some light opposition! lol! I know that is difficult to understand! :) but not too much - in that case I may lose interest whatsoever)
and rotate with other stuff inbetween... with taking some 'time off'/relaxing...
for simple projects I may lose interest in 1 month or so... or if it seems too impossible or 'can't be done' or too many obstacles and not knowing if really important/priority...

How can one best present 'not in it for the long haul'? 'I can get the project up to the point of (description) and then you're on your own, with occasional visits/supervision/helping out if necessary'? Would something like that work?
I'd love to help start it but can't bear the thought of some of the 'hassles' (?) While I don't mind helping out if necessary.. What happens if there are conflicting ideas with the project partners? (eg as to design or 'details' or important parts?)

I don't know if I would still be interested in a few months. For some things, I am. For some, it rotates. (And may come back again.)
I like the 'train the trainers' thing.. (or 'educate the educators'..)

the community is already being knitted :)

Shparks, I've started a bunch of fiction books (and a few non-fiction, okay one more seriously)
I like your ideas about collaborating with an expert (or a few) or several other people!
I really liked some of the pocket-size books too, so that might even be an option! Thanks!
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:42 am

Someone like Dave Barry has ideas. They're facetious, and people enjoy reading him and laughing. And thus he makes money writing a humor / op-ed column for the Miami Herald. And books. Just an idea.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Andreya » Tue May 04, 2010 8:13 am

Thanks, Square Peg. :) I googled him up.

Yes, I've wanted to be a writer since I was little (something about creating the magic worlds and awesome books that I loved). I was told I have quite a bit of humor too, not sure if I dare to go too public with my face though? :) People really laugh at my TRUE adventures too, so I wouldn't even have to make much up??
(Not sure how the law would go with that though, some people had lawsuits if writing about true things??)

Humor writing probably isn't real easy to get into, then again laughter is much needed in these days, so hmm?
I have had troubles finishing short stories or novels, haven't really tried working on shorter stuff? Well, on getting paid for that!
(I've had plans for a humor essay or two, thanks for reminding me!)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Andreya » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:11 am

It is really odd that this thread has been read so much and yet so few people commented? :)

Is everyone just looking for tips, or clueless what to say?
There are threads in other places of the board and some ideas there are quite excellent - it would still be interesting to elaborate more on scanners earning $$$ with ideas, with our specific challenges and gifts? hmm?

For example - novels/long scripts: can be too long to write, you may get bored of them too soon. How to make it interesting/attractive again? Or find the time in the 'shiny shiny new' distraction situation? Or just write/do shorter stuff?
How to find reliable partners to write books or do projects with? What to look for and how? How to communicate in initial and later phases? (Well, there is some stuff online on these things already..)
Articles may get stressful to write too, or you might not get experts or accurate info - what to do then?
Humor writing - what if your life is not so much fun - can you still write humor? (And how?) More irony then or...?
What if other people - or circumstances keep 'barging in' too? How to keep up with and keep track of your own scanner-ism and other people's varied interests and circumstances? (It feels like in the house, we've had 5 businesses going on and off simultaneously-?? Very difficult to do time manegement etc. Though big companies do it all the time - how do they do it? There must be info somewhere-?) Where?

(Maybe I need to get 'write book in 1 month book'? Does any of them really work? :))
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby redplaidpurpleplaid » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:50 am

Hi Andreya,

I'm kind of like that too. I remember browsing an issue of Psychology Today (about a year ago?) in which there was a mention that these are actually two personality types....the idea people, and the implementation people.

I much prefer coming up with new ideas and letting someone else do the implementation/follow-through.
I am more than happy to work on troubleshooting with them, if they come back and tell me it doesn't work, then I work with them to find a solution....I just don't want to be the one solely responsible for results from start to finish :)

And how many times are people like you and I told (explicitly or implicitly, to the point that we come to believe it ourselves) that we are lazy, lack follow-through, no discipline, no work ethic.....UGH!!!

What about partnering with someone or a group, a formal partnership (like a business) or informal, short-term or long-term, who are good at the implementation phase and enjoy doing it? It sounds to me like you are talking about selling your ideas to people and then more or less removing yourself from it - what about partnerships where you stay involved but only in the parts you enjoy?

redplaid
redplaidpurpleplaid
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby redplaidpurpleplaid » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:12 pm

Andreya wrote:How to find reliable partners to write books or do projects with? What to look for and how? How to communicate in initial and later phases? (Well, there is some stuff online on these things already..)

I believe this comes down to intuition. I would say the thing that has gotten me into the biggest amount of trouble (note: I haven't run my own business, I am talking about job interviews, seeing whether I can work with potential employers) is NOT listening to my intuition, getting a sense "Hmm, no, there's that thing there that I just don't like, I don't know why but I don't like it"......but then rationalizing "oh it's just a small thing, I am getting paranoid, worried for nothing, it'll be OK...."

I would say naivete is also dangerous (e.g. not having a very specific contract from the outset because "I trust them") As someone who wants to trust others, and believe that they won't take advantage of me, this one is tough for me....I personally haven't yet found a way to reconcile "trust, but cover your butt" in a balance that I'm at peace with.

It also depends what kind of a person you are. When you get a new idea, if you tend to shoot off like a rocket into space getting really excited about it with little regard for practicality, then you may want someone who will remind you of the limitations, bring you back down to earth (without totally dampening your enthusiasm of course!) On the other hand if you are (like me) a person with a large mental backlog of potentially wonderful ideas but then put your own ideas down saying "oh that'll never work" you may want to partner with more of a cheerleader type person.

Humor writing - what if your life is not so much fun - can you still write humor? (And how?) More irony then or...?

Can you have humour and not-a-fun-life together? "Both/and" thinking rather than "either/or" thinking....finding ways to merge what look like opposites. I am sure there are other references to this but the one that comes to mind for me is Integrative Thinking (Rotman Business School, University of Toronto), that's what that's about, seeing other options to have "both" where people would have previously thought you had to sacrifice one for the other.

That's taking something very simple that you said and piling a big theory onto it, yes, but it's quite relevant as far as I can tell to what goes on on this site.....Can I do something I love and make money? Can I do x with y limitation? It's all about finding the both/and.

redplaid
redplaidpurpleplaid
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Andreya » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:13 am

Hey Redplaid,

I really love some of your ideas/topics/things mentioned!!
I wanted to reply earlier, wanted to let stuff 'sink in' a bit first and think about what to answer! :)
It's too hot to think straight but I'll reply anyway! :mrgreen:

I'm not sure if I'm just an 'idea person', actually I think I'm a bit of both, implementer too. Though I imagined at first in some projects it would work with the eco projects to just give ideas and other people would do most of the stuff - some did, and some needed a lot of help, and for some things, well, I was the 'implementer' too! (For some things, others will need more training and know-how and supervision, ideally.)
I read in a book that the most desired 'worker/employee of the future' would be eg an engineer willing to 'get hands dirty' and work in the process too when necessary, to fix things or see how it works etc.. not just on paper..

Also, in some projects I WANT to be involved in the planning stages and later on etc, and other people may have own agendas or different priorities or just want to 'do it quickly' or with 'least hassle' while I'd wish to have it done well... etc. (And they may want to steer it in a different direction from what I'd wish ideally.. - What to do then?)

I think solely 'idea persons' are rare, as everyone is at least a little bit implementer too. (In diffferent ways and different media - some in technology, some with people, some with words, or visuals, others with fabrics or other materials..)
Then again, I've heard people complain that 'young people would only criticize and give ideas, and no one would do the work?'
And on the other hand, you have a lot of people with lack of imagination/inspiration in some very beaurocratic jobs, who could profit from the connection with idea people.. These connections are really important and necessary.. You'd imagine some existing services/organizations with an established network and people who are paid for this, would be doing more of this...? Then again an 'outsider' can sometimes do these things better..
It's really difficult when you see other people are paid for these things though, and don't do them...(?) Maybe they would, if they just got the right ideas and people together... I know I could help and need to make a living too.. This could be like a full-time job for 100+ people...(?) Not sure how can I do this and earn money and do my other scanner interests etc?
Maybe I'm just burnt out a bit, or it's the heat...?

I googled up Integrative Thinking and love what I read so far! Do you have any experience with that? (The thinking, their seminars or books...?)
As a scanner, it seems sometimes nearly impossible to fit all my interests and wishes into an 'and' mode.. lol.. And yet, it's like the rotating sushi table.. :) Everything comes around again.. They don't have to exist all at the same time, just knowing I can go back to them and having an easy 'system' for that may be enough..

I definitely understand about thinking differently.. Sometimes I can explain things in words easily, sometimes not so - ideas or concepts seem kinaesthetic or multi-dimensional, or at least like websites - clickable! :) - and I know exactly what I'm talking/thinking about just couldn't condense it into a short easily-approachable 'summary' - other times I express things other people have been struggling with for years with one easy sentence or two!

Redplaid, just curious - what do you do or have done for living? In what ways have you managed to make it work financially?
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby George » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:06 pm

Here's the best way I know to make money from your ideas...

You have to blog about your ideas...put adsense on it (that monetizes your blog, google sends you money)

Tweet about your ideas...to get to your blog to read the full posts...

Facebook about your ideas...to get to your blog to read the full posts...

ask people to sign up (start a newsletter - on your blog and let people know when you have new posts...

I think you can see where i'm going with this..so they can go to the blog and read the full post)

have sharing buttons on your blog/website and so if you have great ideas...people will share them on digg, stumble, reddit...etc...

so they come to your blog...

then once you have enough fans...then you can make some real money from your ideas... =)
George
New Poster
New Poster

Postby rishi.khanna » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:59 am

Hi Andreya

Thanks for some of your great inputs to my post. Let me try and reciprocate.
Some random ideas from the top of my head considering that you like to write

google "philosophersnotes" - really nice book summaries. does something like this grab you? I bought his summaries and loved them. I wish there were more out there like him
You could contribute to Wikipedia - doesn't pay though !!

Blogging is a good idea although i don't know much about how much or even how one makes money from that.I also see from your profile that you live in Slovenia, but from your English it appears you are not Slovenian. Could you be involved in promoting slovenia in some way? A slovenia blog - with a catchy web address ?? - beautiful country - I have been there once - i loved the food. I have always thought that some countries or places form food borders, where cuisine changes. I felt that in Slovenia - one could sense a kind of a transition point between western and yes greek/middle eastern kind of food. Or how about doing reviews of movies from that part of the world to encourage more people around the world to watch them? I saw a macedonian movie - "before the rain" and it was absolutely fantastic. It was highly acclaimed but really very few people i knew ever heard of it.

Could you create online courses of some kind? there is a growing interest in online courses?
Go to the website called proprofs - would you enjoy making interesting quizes??
Does translation interest you? Nowadays I am very interested in transliteration (see google transliteration tool - its really cool) - basically you can write something in english and it transliterates (not translate) it to chinese/korean/hindi - whatever you like
Be a collaborative writer or even a ghost writer - for example i have ideas that i want to write about but not being much of a writer i am exploring to share some of the work with a ghostwriter

But these are very generic in nature and just off the top of my head. If one is really talking money then i would have liked to be more specific (I am a manager after all, even if i am a scanner- and have handled 2000 people) - To be able to offer more specific ideas, I would also need to understand more vividly, what your present situation is like - what do you do? have kids? married? if yes what your husband does etc

How much money would you target making in this manner? or is that not important? i mean do you need the money or does earning money for the idea give you a kick because it validates the idea? I don't know that. For example, i am happy to give away ideas for free since i started my sabatical - but you know what its not easy either !! just because people are not set up expecting to find someone who would be willing to help them for free. And then there has to be a fit. Anyway, my point was to say that finding the bridge between the source and the need for an idea is never easy and in order to understand what could be the best approaches, one also needs to understand the numbers, in terms of the amount of earning expected, and a corresponding amount of time that one is willing to spend for it.

You could also give me a sense through one or two examples of the kinds of ideas that you want to make money from, by "selling the idea" sort of a thing

There are also online marketplaces for ideas. But these are usually for technical ideas that are patentable in a sense. there are others too ( i read a harvard business review article on it and it had some websites listed - i will see if i can dig it out.
rishi.khanna
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Andreya » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:49 pm

Thank you for the suggestions and ideas!

I have looked at some of the ideas and links... Blogging, writing and online courses are still in play..
We don't have transliteration or such in our language.. Ideally, it would be something that I wouldn't need to 'learn from scratch' and that would be connected to stuff I've been doing/learning about, cause I'm learning A LOT of new things as it is, and can't really afford more 'data' in my brain at the moment, sort of..

I didn't know people actually paid money for book summaries/notes!! Interesting
How long are those, and how are they different from Amazon reviews or such?

This year, I have been mostly looking at non-profits and ideas that can be projects for non-profits to apply for grant money with.. It's important to find the right non-profit/s and the right people for that to carry it out though.. Some of the projects/grants also include money for a project manager etc. There is a lot of paperwork and some time-consuming processes though, that can affect the quality of what is carried out then..
We've started to form a non-profit, it may take a while before any of that earns money though.. (if at all)
Some of it is like 'community networking' (=what Obama did before his current job :)) 're-knitting' communities, connecting people...

I've started some blogs in the past, mostly of a personal nature so far... Blogs that make money usually sell certain things, and with trying to be eco-friendly, it's important to be in tune with that when it comes to monetizing too..
Yeah I do need the money, it would be soo much easier if I didn't, ha ha.. I could just go and make things happen.. (Of course I could earn the money with something else too, but what? So that it's not too time-consuming and still in line with the eco projects..) Not sure what family or lack of it has to do with it...? Or maybe it does..
I am Slovenian, English is my second language, I sometimes do feel almost more proficient in English though :)
Not really into translation or language teaching, unless absolutely necessary.. (I've done both in the past, just found it's not what I want to do or how my brain works.. and so I prefer to leave them to other people, mostly)

I've given some ideas away for free too, and was happy if things went well.. I know what you mean - sometimes the ideas and the people are a good fit, sometimes not really.. Some other people actually got grant money for similar things.. or get paid to do it, but they don't..
Sometimes it's annoying to just be 'the idea person' and volunteer, especially if everyone expects you to volunteer both ideas and time and do everything/a lot yourself.. maybe I'm just a little frustrated.. or just need to learn to be a better project manager and learn to delegate and better decision-making and such.. Any tips on that would be greatly appreciated too.. Maybe stuff for another thread though...
It's difficult to talk about any specifics cause I don't know you or your previous industry/experience.. and it *is* an online forum..

Anyway, thank you for the answers!! Will still be thinking about them a bit..
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby youZingit » Tue May 08, 2012 8:07 pm

Take a look at our new startup. The website is still in development, but we are interested in protecting people’s ideas, while still being able to promote them for purchase by companies. It is a free site to use and will have a low cost premium service with additional benefits for those interested. We are marketing to companies to submit requests for ideas for their products or services, which can be satisfied by ideas from our users. We are working with IP attorneys to assist us with the protection aspect, while still getting recognition for idea sellers and creating a social buzz for companies that purchase these ideas.

We welcome any and all feedback. This reply won't allow me to post my full domain, but just search for youZingit on Google.

We also have a Facebook page with current contest just for fun while we develop our site. Design our Facebook Cover Photo for a $250 prize.

Thanks,
Brian
youZingit
New User
New User

Postby M B » Thu May 17, 2012 7:27 pm

shparks wrote:I have thought about trying to write some nonfiction books. But as you said, I do not think that I could write enough about my ideas to make a whole book.
Most people who do not have enough material to write a whole nonetheless write a whole book...
Mathieu Bouville, PhD
Looking for work that matters in sustainability / renewable energy
M B
New Poster
New Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners