Self help and celebration

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Self help and celebration

Postby Ilah » Tue May 25, 2010 11:41 am

I have noticed that many of the posts seem to be of the “help me” variety. My life is messed up because I am a scanner. Being a scanner has caused me problems. Please give me advice. Please help me.

There is a success section, but it often has the feel that people have succeed in spite of being scanners. In contrast to succeeding because they are scanners.

It gives the overall feeling that being a scanner is a disorder or disability. It is something to be overcome.

When I read Barbara’s book, the impression I got was the being a scanner was a difference not a disorder. There isn’t anything wrong with being a scanner. There are many good things about being a scanner.

So where are the happy scanners? Where are the people who say I love being a scanner? Where are the people who talk about how wonderful it is to know so many things and be able to do so many things?

Maybe they are off doing many different things and don’t have time for the board. Maybe they are here and don’t talk about how happy they are.

I want a place where we can celebrate being scanners. I want a place to share the joy of finding a new interest or learning something new with people who understand.

I don’t want to sound unsympathetic to those who are having problems. I am not saying I don’t want them here. Welcome them. Help them. And show them being a scanner is not just about dealing with problem. Show them the happy, exciting side of being a scanner.

Right now it seems like we are a large part dealing with problems and a small part celebrating who we are. I would like to change that. Wash the board with celebrations of who we are. Make it a large part celebrations and a small part talking about problems.
Ilah
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Self help and celebration

Postby SMM2005 » Tue May 25, 2010 2:27 pm

Hi Ilah,

I think this is a great idea! I actually think it is fun being a scanner - I've had some interesting adventures and on a quieter note, I've learned a lot about different things, and much about myself. Scanners have a lot to teach others, and I really enjoy when people share their own experiences (good, and not so good). Life is a journey and scanners are always discovering creative ways of walking on this (sometimes bumpy) path. I believe we have a lot to share with others. Maybe this "self help and celebration" can be its own thread for celebrating being a proud scanner and sharing some of the highlights and successes you have experienced being a scanner. Any plans you have of doing anything, or making life changes, and decisions as a scanner are a few ideas to bring forth for discussion.

Being a scanner, I find myself always in transition, and now I have a wealth of information and experience and a whole bunch of things I love doing. I am now busy working on my niche to coordinate my education, life experiences, and life style to offer a whole package of service offerings. Being a scanner certainly feels right at this point in my life. I feel that there are many more exhilerating adventures to be had!

Happy Scanning!

Susan
SMM2005
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Andreya » Tue May 25, 2010 3:04 pm

WOW! Great thread indeed!!

I agree I may sometimes have whined too :) But mostly I am delighted to constantly keep finding delight in new and other things! :)

I find scanners/people with many interests very fascinating too!!

I wish I could find a way to make it click financially too, overall, I think my life is sooo much more fascinating than other people's though lol! Plus, I keep finding other scanners!! (Some who have even managed to make it work financially too!! Great inspiration!) And things are sort of beginning to click - I keep finding new and more awesome interesting things to do! :) And people to help with the eco projects etc! :) YAY! Mostly, they are delighted someone came up with the idea/s, lol!

There's no way I could have done so many things and talked to so many people about these things, if I weren't a scanner - we need MORE scanners to help save the world from the silly troubles the non-scanners (and others) put it in! It's soo important to have a big picture and delight in different and random things!!
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Me and my Hamster » Wed May 26, 2010 5:38 am

Well, if we see more scanners asking for help, in distress and so on, it's maybe because the happy scanners can manage their life quite well and don't need any support. Maybe the trigger for going on internet looking for other people like us and so on, is the feeling of being lonely and hopeless.
That said...

Great idea!

I used to think that I'm going strait into a wall and nothing good will happen, no good job, no carreer and so on. But then I start to think differently when I read some other people, in a gifted adults forum, saying that they love my life, my way of doing things, and so on, and some say that they would love to do the same!
I was saying "yeah, I have two BA's, some are impressed, but it's not complicated to get two BA's and that doesn't give a job you'd like..." and they replied "It's not that easy to have two BA's, and you can always manage something..." They were really kind and sweet!

And then I read Barbara's book. I'm starting to think that's it's possible to make different things and make a living. So now, I'm redifining my list of "what I absolutely don't like" and "What I absolutely like", my main interests, the ones I go back to after a while, the ones I never go back to. And I'm starting to see a pattern. I'm a mix of "cyclical sybil" and "serial high-speed indecisive".

I begin to be quite proud of being able to do many things. In my entourage it's not quite commun, I love being a bit different. And some people love my paintings, love my music, my poetry, my short stories, and so on, that's veary heartwarming (does that word exist?)
Yesterday, I girl living on the same floor asked me if I could do one painting for her, and she would buy it if I want to! :D

So yeah, being a scanner's not a curse as soon as we stop considering it this way! haha! The whole world got to understand that we rock as much as everybody else!

We should even create a SCANNER DAY PRIDE!
Me and my Hamster
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Unique Journalist » Wed May 26, 2010 2:48 pm

The other day I ran across a comment from Ms. E on Barbara's "Scanner at Play" blog. The light bulb in my head turned on.

"I think more people are accepting of scanners' jumping from interest to interest when we don't try to make a career of each one. I'm finally in a "good-enough" job that allows me to flit from interest to interest without criticism. While people might not understand me, they think it's okay. When scanners jump from one "get-rich-quick" scheme to the next, is when you get the most criticism."

I thought, AH! :idea: I think that's where most scanners get stuck and unhappy.

At the moment, I'm getting ready to make sock poi. If I worried about how long I'll be interested in dancing with poi or how to make money or a hobby out of it, it would stress me out and take the JOY out of it. But just the thought of dancing while spinning them to rhythmic music seems pretty cool. So that's ALL I'm focused on right now with that interest. I work at a job that I can live with, so that takes much of the stress off of indulging my curiosity.
Unique Journalist
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Ilah » Thu May 27, 2010 10:13 am

I think that is a good point with the good enought job. That is my situation as well.

This way I can enjoy all of my interests without the stress of worrying if they will pay off or not. Also I can quit whenever I feel like it. My only concern is being able to afford books, equipment, material, etc. Many of the things I do are free or low cost so it works out good.

Also I think all the activities I do make my good enough job more acceptable. If I was trying to get satisfaction and fullfillment from my job, I would be disappointed. But I get those from other parts of my life.

I also have less stress in my life because I have a steady income.

Plus during the slow parts of my work day I can be thinking about and planning my other interests. That makes the day a bit nicer.

It seems like a lot of scanners reject the good enough job. I wonder how many of the ones who can't find a job are holding out for a job that matches their passions.
Ilah
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Me and my Hamster » Thu May 27, 2010 1:46 pm

If I find a good enough job, I take it!
For the time being, I have a sort of good enough, or maybe not-too-bad job! It's just a job while I'm still studying. Afterwards I'll try fond a real good enough job. If it's in part-time, like 15-25hours a week, it will be perfect. I'll have enough money to make a living, and a lot of free time to do whatever I want.
I never cared much about social ascension and big salary. As far as I find things interesting and worth doing them, it's OK for me. :-)
Me and my Hamster
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Andreya » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:11 am

I wish I could find a 'good enough job'! Instead, I've thought up many cool projects that could help other people and organisations get volunteers and/or get money.. and maybe even create my (and others') dreamjob/s! It's all in the long-term arena mostly though!

I agree, trouble is when you try to do 'the next best thing' only and get rich from it too! lol!

I feel very enriched by all the jobs I had, feel like I've learnt something from all of them.. And there is lots of joy in simple things..

The frustration is that as a scanner there are so very many beginnings - and you can't be an expert at the beginning in all of them, in some things I wish to be already, and the impatience is sort of frustrating! I'm happy to teach or give advice to others on doing same or similar (or different) things, just don't really want to do those things again, lol! (sort of Sybil/high speed indecisive too.. and maybe some other things)
There is also lots of stuff to learn and research (of course this is also part of the fun of it, but it can make other people frustrated - why research if you can go into a store and buy?) For me researching is also part of the fun of it, it can also be frustrating, especially if there is conflicting info online and/or from experts etc. There can be some info overload or overwhelm too.. (The lucky thing is I forget it all too, kinda like Johnny Mnemonics :)) It is good to put it on paper/save it before I do though.. I think there is still room for improvement in communication of this to others..

Reading Barbara's book also gave me some ideas of doing things I never considered before, and it seems to be coming together nicely..? :) Keep fingers crossed!

Unique Journalist, You and Hamster both sound very fascinating indeed!!
I have no idea what sock poi is, but I'm getting excited just to read about it and will now google it! :)

Many artists may be sort of scanners or 'high speed indecisive' - the very nature of art is change and exploring the world around us in different ways.. Also, someone once wrote how in art/painting, you constantly compare/analyze the desired outcome (eg someone sitting for a portrait/wished painting) and what you have on the paper. In real life, constant analysis like this can be very frustrating.. (for us or people who live with us) It can lead to some great art and some great discoveries though!
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unique Journalist » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:18 pm

Andreya,

Here's the site I used to help me make the sock poi.

http://www.hoopcity.ca/profiles/blogs/h ... k-poi-with

I'm quickly learning that if you want to play with these...you need a lot of room. :lol:
Unique Journalist
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Andreya » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:55 am

WOW! Looks interesting!

I had to see what it looks like to dance with it, and some YouTube videos are just awesome!! (Looks a bit dangerous though - harm to self or others or techie electronic equipment possible??) Lot of room a benefit at the start especially, indeed!! (I am scared for computers and other equipment of some guy on YouTube lol!!)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Wolf Goddess » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:29 pm

I read a quote the other day that said complaining or whining is a type of bragging. Don't shoot me, I didn't say it, someone else did. I don't even know if I agree with it or not. It ruffled my feathers at first, but it made me think about it.

I love being a scanner although it does make me indecisive at times. My scanning gift clusters around the visual arts and writing. When people ask me what type of art I do it's hard to tell them.

When I was working at 9-5 jobs I often wound up being the catch-all person. (Is that complaining or bragging?)

But I celebrate my scanner-ness. It makes people think I'm interesting. :mrgreen:

WG
You will never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.
Visit Zebracorn Art Journeys at www.zebracorn.com
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby ellam » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:32 pm

Hi dear scanners,

I like being a scanner when I do things for fun, when I play with my all interests. But, when I think that I must do something with all that things I do, with all my plans I don’t feel right.
Mihaela
ellam
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Ilah » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:08 am

ellam wrote:Hi dear scanners,

I like being a scanner when I do things for fun, when I play with my all interests. But, when I think that I must do something with all that things I do, with all my plans I don’t feel right.
Mihaela

Why do you feel you have to do something with all the things you do? If you enjoy doing them isn't that enough?

Most of us have to earn a living, but it does not have to be based on our scanner interests. Even if it is, it probably is not based on all of our interests.

ilah
Ilah
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby ellam » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:23 pm

Hi Ilah,

I don’t know why. Maybe because I don’t like my actual job and I want to be self employ and doing what I like.
Mihaela
ellam
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Ilah » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:02 pm

There are some advantages to having what Barbara calls a "good enough job" - besides a steady pay check.

I feel I have so much more freedom to follow my interests when I don't have any income dependant on them. I think if my income was dependant on them I would feel pressured to work on them after they stopped being fun.

I have some ideas for how things I could do might earn a little money, but it would not be at the level that could come close to what I am earning now, so I am not too motivated to get started on them. On the other hand, it could possibly be enough money to help me have an early retirement.
Ilah
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Next

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners