Are scanners the minority, or majority?

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: Are scanners the minority, or majority?

Postby Andreya » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:47 am

Ilah, I think you are perfectly right!

Nobody puts down Sir Richard Branson, or Oprah, or Cher! (I think-? :))

My Mum bragged with my multi-talents when I had good grades at school etc! (Not that I knew about it at the time!)
(It seems she might miss those days??)

So, is the problem having accomplished a lot at an early stage or 'showing promise' and then apparently not fulfilling it in other people's eyes? (our rewards may be different than theirs, this is true)

I read that eg the label 'gifted' can be very detrimental to kids: they may be afraid to do stuff that is not certain to succeed and may accomplish less than kids who only got decriptive praise (eg something like, 'You solved these math exercises well.')
I know that I often 'scan away' into something different when faced with something that seems rather an unsurmountable obstacle at the time (then do other stuff for a while and come back to the interest, and may even go over that obstacle easily then-?).
I wonder how many scanners were labelled 'gifted' or were praised in an inappropriate (non-descriptive) manner or over/under-praised or overly criticised (possibly another factor) in early years? (Or just experienced their life that way?)
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Ilah » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:47 am

I was smart but I don’t recall getting overly much praise for it. When an average student gets an A on the test she is praised. When an A student gets on A on the test she is simply “meeting expectations.” That was my experience anyway.

There is an odd overgeneralization about smartness that many people seem to have. “You are smart; you should be good at this.” “You are smart; you should be working at a higher level job than this.” In real life it is much more complicated. Smart does not mean good at everything. There is also a matter of skills, talents and training. There is personality type. There are personal values. (“Successful” people tend to be ambitious and value money and career highly.) Then there are complicating factors that may make it more difficult to do well: learning disabilities, depression, mental health issue, health problems, financial struggles or other things going in someone’s life.

Related to the “showing promise” idea is the idea of potential. People tend to think I have potential that I am not living up to. For example, I have done crafts for around 20 years. I would consider myself a beginning to intermediate level on the various crafts I have done. My husband has suggested that I have the potential to be really good on one of them (i.e. reach an advanced level of skill) if I just stuck with a craft instead of switching around all the time.

ilah
Ilah
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby happykat » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:04 am

A few years ago when I discovered the book and the Forum for Scanners, I posted a topic "Are the majority of the world's population naturally scanners" which got some interesting responses. Also, more recently someone started a topic about what percentage of people are scanners. Here's the thread to mine:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20920
happykat
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Caitlin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:18 am

Ilah wrote:I have a theory that we are put down by others not for being scanners, but for being unsuccessful, disorganized scanners.

Gosh that is such a depressing thought!
Caitlin
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby elizagard » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:43 am

Nobody puts down Sir Richard Branson, or Oprah, or Cher

These people made a lot of money, but they are not immune from criticism. I don't know about Branson, but lots of people put down Oprah and Cher for various reasons. In any case, is Oprah multi-talented? She's good at talking. Anything else? Cher's goal as a child was to be a famous movie star. She didn't think she'd be a singer or dancer. Madonna is put down for her acting because she's bad at it.

Having a lot of money can also give you the time and opportunity to spend time on hobbies or different businesses/talents. It's not that it's impossible without money, but it can be harder without it.

I have a theory that we are put down by others not for being scanners, but for being unsuccessful, disorganized scanners.

I think there is some truth to this, but don't agree with it completely. If you don't care of business, let other people down, put yourself in danger, and/or are dependent on others for the necessities of life (shelter, food, etc.) but are over the age of 18, they have the right to criticize and make suggestions and comments. That's the part that I think is true. However, if you are successful enough to take care of your responsibilities (finances, dependents, house, and so on) and show up on time, then other people have no right to put you down. If anyone expects you to be more of a success beyond that, I think that's their problem!

The other thing is that people who are a "success" in one field but give it up to do something else, do get criticized for it. When I was a teenager, I knew a girl whose father had been the director of the Brady Bunch. He gave that up to become a bongo player, and incredibly did well at that. Last I remember, he was a successful photographer, but that was 20 years ago and I've no doubt he's moved on.

It's probably unimaginable for someone who is competitive to understand why anyone would do something purely for the pleasure of it, and not really care about being very good at it or becoming rich or famous from it.
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby happykat » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:49 pm

An easy answer can be "I prefer to be happy". No doubt some people unfortunately have formed the belief that happiness is achieved by being better than others, but I agree that that's their problem :)
happykat
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Previous

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners