Fidget and Get Things Done

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Fidget and Get Things Done

Postby Me and my Hamster » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:46 pm

This thread is to avoid polluting another one, and to keep talking about our digression in the other topic. *ahem*

There's been talking about:
- Procrastination
- Over- and Underwhelming
- Get excited
- Get things done
- Exercise!

To continue: I have an mp3 recorder. My mp3 player can be used as a voice recorder. I used it to record sketches of songs I'm writing, to keep them in mind and re-work with them. I guess I could also record ideas and other stuff.

When I'm interested, I can do my job without help. When I'm not that interested, I need something to keep me up. Music works well for physical work, and sometimes writing stuff. Taping a rhythm with my feet (aso) works with listening tasks, sometimes reading.

For the back swimming, that's funny. I mean, I was considering going to the swimming pool. Just because there is one close to my new school. (I'm taking Danish classes in a young- and adult school.) As my classes will be from 8 to 10, I was thinking maybe once or twice a week, go swimming after class, from 10 to 11 fx.
Me and my Hamster
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Fidget and Get Things Done

Postby Andreya » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:42 am

Just checking in: I had the morning walk/jog, it went a little longer than expected, came home 10.45 instead of about an hour earlier :) It was great though, I LOVED it!!
I'm still tweaking this for optimum schedule.. Ideally I'd go and come back earlier.. And have a structure for afterwards too.. (It was quite hot and I came home somewhat exhausted lol, though full of energy.) I had MANY ideas on the walk, wished I had a recorder/small notebook with. Then I observed some garbage and picked it up, so I couldn't record myself anyway. Next time BRING A BAG for trash and recyclables and 'glove' or separate bag for picking things up!! (I didn't dare to pick up some things..) I hope I can remember that!

Came home, had some yummy homemade yoghurt/'sour milk'+redcurrants (yum!) with bread, and had a shower. Became bored/overwhelmed in the bathroom again. Realized I wish my own bathroom, and wished to do work outside, so maybe I'll sit down in a pretty space and try to do some work? Maybe bring a bigger notebook for writing stuff down too?) I actually wanted to do that quite a while ago already, and never quite managed.. It's soo beautiful around here..
I got overwhelmed in my room again (too much clutter/papers/misc. overcrowded furniture etc. Plus I don't have a lovely view. Beautiful surroundings are very important to me.)

We had a mp3 recorder for a while too, and I never really started to utilize it until last year or so. (It seemed quite complicated.) It's easy when you get the hang of it. I like to record myself eg lying in the dark before sleep, I seem to have quite some cool ideas then.. I even took it for a walk before, though I felt a bit odd recording stuff once, when I wasn't sure if there were any people near, lol? It may be okay for more isolated areas/spaces with no people or such.. Or for people in the car etc. (Or just do it in a different enough language? Or in codes, haha?)
I saw it may be best to transfer files to computer, put them in named folders (so I can easily find them again), name them and listen/transcribe from there (haven't worked out the 'pause' button on the thingie - or forgot it again!) Also it can be louder than on the thingie - it's key to pronounce loudly and clearly enough so it's easy to transcribe.. (Still working on that!)
Someone said that he does this with mp3 and camera files - still need to work out a routine. A book advises daily transcribing, someone else said he has a weekly routine.. It's probably best 'as soon as possible'. I really need to get it into a routine though.

That's great to hear about swimming! Maybe you can structure it so that you are more concentrated for the next task? - It might be best to try a few times and see how you feel afterwards, what sort of things you get inspired to do etc.

When I'm interested, I can do whatever without help too. :) There's a trick to figuring out what makes me interested, lol!
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Me and my Hamster » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:51 am

It really doesn't matter if there's people around when you record your ideas or stuff on your mp3. I mean, it's not more weird or stupid or whatever than talking into a mobilephone's microphone attached to one's collar...

I had a periode I loved to take pictures of trains and railroads. Sometimes, I took the train for no purpose, whatever the direction, just to take pictures. I spent an afternoon in Copenhagen's area like that. I don't care about trains anymore. Haha! I also did a small videos in Copenhagen's airport. I was filming with my phone and talking... I guess I looked a bit "weird". But well, who really cares?

My next schedule is gonna be a bit weird. I mean... during the summer, it's gonna be different from week to week or so, because of work and different summer courses at Uni.
But then I'll start the Danish class again, and have two classes at Uni. I don't know when my courses at Uni will be.
I may get another place to work, because my company lost one client (they moved out) so I don't know when I'm gonna work either! So for now, it's really hard to make a schedule, as nothing is certain except the Danish classes every morning from 8 to 10.

I've begun a chemistry book for high-school/gymnasium, writtent in Danish, so I can learn a bit more Danish and Chemistry at the same time.
I have a plan. I'm taking Danish lessons this year (I already speak Danish, but I need a good level to have a chance to get the exam I want/need), and when I have the A-level in Danish, I take math, physics et chemistry lessons to B or A-level. If I want to begin at B or A level directly, I need to begin now, on my own. Nothing new, as I already did all this stuff when I was in high school, but that was 11 years ago.
The next step, after all these courses, is to get accepted at Uni to do a BA in physics. As the teachning language is Danish, I need that A-level, and another exams for foreigners.

That is my first long-term plan, and I'm working a bit on it everyday. And it's always fun to do math and sciences for an hour. :-)

Other plans include visiting Japan, record an album with my band/mates, and other stuff. I do a bit of everything when I have time/will to do it. Like learning Japanese. I'm doing it very slowly.
I also want to learn Icelandic and German again. I think it's cool and great to read different sources in original language. And Icelandic is a beautiful language. I love when my Icelandic friends speak to each other. Sometimes I grab words and sentences.

My problem is the long-term perspective. I noticed that in the beginning I'm really excited and can do a lot of things related to my new project/interest. But as time passes, it can be days or weeks or whatever, that excitement passes too and I don't finish.
I fear that I won't finish my plans. But on the other hand, science is one of my special "sybil" interests, and no matter what I always go back to it, as for music, painting, and languages. So I may be able to finish that project, but it may take more time than planned.

I did literature/language studies and I did miss math and physics too. And the more it goes, the more I miss it.
Maybe I struggle with my actual studies simply because my heart isn't there anymore, and I don't really want to finish that. Maybe that's why I don't seem to be able to finish things in time.

I used the method in Barbara's book, to target the final result, and go backward, step by step, to define the first step. That's what I did with my physics project, and for the time being, it's working. I see my final interesting goal in the end of the road, and that helps doing the stuff toward that target.

When I do physics, math aso, I don't need to fidget. It's really a matter of being enthusiastic and get the energy to chase boredom away. :-)
Me and my Hamster
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Andreya » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:51 am

Well, it was fun when it lasted.

The energy from running lasted for quite a lot of the day - then I got distracted with phone calls - ugh!
I thought 'I'll do this so I'll have peace later' but some things just made me go 'ugh'...!
It may be 'something short n easy' for someone else, but it can really break up your concentration..

Better strategy: keep my cell phone out of reach and sound off (I can see later who called - if it's loud, the family will get annoyed and want me to answer if it's around where they are. Not sure what to do about the real phone - I figured having a separate line would be best, couldn't justify the cost last year or so, it would really be helpful now.. Family don't want to unplug or silence/quieten regular phone when I work, so they come to me or interrupt me with or bring me even unimportant stuff.)
Maybe I just need to enforce strict 'working hours-DON'T interrupt if you wish to live??'
But what to do at lunch/when eating - when they interrupt with phone calls and 'emergencies'?

I feel like I need to go run again (or at least do a load of laundry?? And I haven't done nothing much since before lunch and before telephones??)

I did talk on phone while cleaning the kitchen counters and killing ants (microwave never was so shiny!) I got slight neckache though - so?? (Julie Morgenstern recommends wearing a headset?? How much do these cost? Are they more bad for health than normal phones? Wireless phone is said to be worse than wired, but u can't walk around with a wired one. So, hmm?)
Not sure if I'll get anything done today.. I knew I shouldn't have let that friend interrupt me but she couldn't wait to tell me the news and the family was harassed with all the phone calls! (She has it cheaper/free to call the landline, akh!)
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Andreya » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:27 am

Okay, I checked the thermometer: it's 28°C+! That explains everything... (My brain generally can't work at 26°C+) So that means getting a cooler office an even bigger priority..

Laundry on again lol - only half load, not enough yellows? Still a few loads left - what will I do THEN? :shock: :mrgreen:

Hamster, thanks on your take on recording - makes sense!

Yup, it's difficult to plan if you don't know other people's plans! Improvisation I guess? And plan for what you can? (Have things ready for 'on the go' or for different variants planned?) You can maybe plan each week separately, that's what I'm thinking of doing anyway..

Good to know about your plans.. Do you want to work in science, later on? Do you want to teach physics or do research job or..? Or is it just for fun? (Or just to prolong the student status so you can do recording and songs in peace?)
For me it would be a bit overwhelming, lol - high school science is at a quite advanced level here, so hm? (No wonder it takes time to finish other things :)) I was fascinated with physics and wanted to study it at a point too (and Chinese :mrgreen: ) just to show everyone how smart I am! lol.. Then got persuaded to study something more sensible.. Chinese wasn't at the Uni yet at the time here..

And WOW you want to learn Japanese too! (Me too! :)) Have taken it really slowly.. I guess I'll need to get that book my neighbours have already, they're ahead of me! :( Hajimemashite!

We can speak German if you wish, or French (a bit rusty too..)

Being enthusiastic really helps with everything, yup!

Can you give yourself studying Physics etc as 'reward' for other good work? Or finishing other things.. Just curious..
I had to finish one BA first before starting another.. So it would be best to just off the thesis now.. I read the book 'Write a book in 3 weeks' or something like that, and want to try it! Can you go for 'write a thesis in 3 weeks'? You just work hard for 3 weeks and then off with it?
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Andreya » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:08 am

I think I figured out the laundry addiction - it's nicely COOL in the laundry room, lol!

(And I get to do something to move around that is useful, simple & easy! once the piles are sorted...)

I get overwhelmed just looking at the piles and over-stuffed closets etc, so hm? Not sure if better to wait till the end of renovations or...? I still plan work for this evening.. once it cools down and neighbours stop 'smoking' into my room (they have to burn wood in the summer to heat water, how odd is that? sigh! we have solar panels, no other water heating necessary most summer..)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Andreya » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:01 pm

Okay, managed to do (transcribe from mp3) 3.000 words today - YAY!! :)

That's kinda what I set to myself as minimum for today (since Dad and Mom were absent, so no banging about/renovation work! lol)
I found I work best in somewhat dark surroundings, with shutters down (to minimize distractions from outside and inside (room still very disorderly) and with good rock'n'roll music on the radio - managed to make CD player work (embarassing to say, haven't used it for months due to a cord being lost behind - took me less than 2 minutes to make that work! lol)
(Of course I also haven't used it cause it's not too eco, but at the lack of other options, hm? I'd love a solar energy system on the roof, need to earn $$$ for it first! lol)

So, I may do more things today (and still have a laundry load to take care of) I think the running up and down the stairs is beneficial too..

(The other option was to organize the closets and rooms, which kinda made me depreesed - I think the clue to actually doing something is to have other options even worse, lol!!)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Me and my Hamster » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:42 pm

Mmm... do I want to work with physics? I have no idea! I think it's just for the fun of it and because it's really interesting and I want to understand the complex equations to quantics, astrophysics, black holes and so on. Once I get there (if I do...) I don't know. Maybe research on theories, like superstrings, M theory and so on.

Being accepted to a BA in physics would be like a reward for my future efforts (Danish, Math and Science to A and B level.) It's gonna take me maybe two years to achieve this. So if everything does as planned, I should be able to apply to Uni in spring/summer 2012. And maybe I'll start the BA in september 2012.
By then, if EVERYTHING goes well, I should be graduated with my MA in nordic literature.

I did Japanese for one semester when I was an exchange student. That was really cool. Sometimes, I think I'd like to do Japanese studies. See? I'm hopeless! Hahahahaha! When I have a PhD in physics, I do a BA in Japanese LOL. *Ahem!*

Being a student is cool for me because I can learn a lot of things, and have time for the rest. Part-time student, and part-time job is like a perfect life when you don't need a lot of money to sustain yourself.
My friend is back from England, so we can start music again. We planned to go to Germany to record few songs (a friend of hers has a professionnal studio.) but well... we'll see with our respective schedules and finances!

I see "running up and down the stairs" that's clearly a thing I can't do. With my knee, effort to push on my right leg is painful.

You seem pretty overwhelmed with laundry...
Damn'd, I have to do mine! I hate that.
Me and my Hamster
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Andreya » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:20 am

lol Laundry has become an addiction! :)

Now if only I could get myself to actually like doing dishes! :) Or cooking or such! ( I hate both!!)

Maybe you can write a list as to why you hate laundry, maybe you'll figure some stuff out! :) (I did.)

The strangest things can be most inspiring, however! 900+ words (in less than an hour) after doing the dishes! (no transcripts, I just gave my problems to the novel characters, lol!)

Well, in a way your lifestyle sounds fascinating! - clearly, you like studying and can get part-time work easily, and if the finances allow you...?
(I don't see why it would be a problem, lol! How about the retirement funds etc, do you pay these things yourself? just curious)
What kind of part-time jobs do you get? (PM if you wish.) I'd love to have something that wouldn't preoccupy me too much-?

Up and down the stairs is okay with me, this is not a skyscraper! (It's cooler than outside mid-day anyway!)
You don't have to go quickly if you don't want to! Or, you could do some yoga or such, or just stretch? (I'd like to get myself to do it again, haven't managed to yet. I wonder if there's a good strategy for doing exercise too? I am not a sportsy type!)

I don't want to officially study Japanese, just want to learn it. There are good self-study books on the market. (And a relative can teach me, somewhat.)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Me and my Hamster » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:36 am

Oh boy, I DO have a lot of teaching/learning material for Japanese! I need to sort this out. E-books, books, mp3 and so on... I have few Japanese friends... in Japan. And there's a East-Asian Studies department at Uni.

For the stairs... even going slowling can hurt. Just because I have a flat bone and the rotula don't move properly and is to close to the other bone.

For the laundry... I don't have much. I mean, I'm in a dorm, I don't have a lot of stuff (and anyway more stuff would mean more laundry haha!) it's just that I hate going down three floors to put a wash, and climbing back, wait for an hour (fortunately I can do lots of things during that time), then, down again and put the clothes in the dryer, and up again, wait for 45 minutes, and down again to get my laundry back, and up again to my room. The the idea gets me tired of it!!! :lol: Buuuut I really need clean clothes!

It's not easy to get a job, I mean a study-relevent job! But you can always find one of those cleaning jobs. That's what I do. It would be nice to work a bit more hours, but in my dorm I don't have an exensive rent. On the other hand, I don't have the money to buy a new guitar... but well, I don't complain, I manage to do things I like.
For the retirement... I have no idea. And as I'm incapable of thinking that far, I just don't think about it. I should, maybe... Hehe.
Me and my Hamster
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Andreya » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:25 am

Hmm, can you get your knee better? :)
One of my scanner interests is nutrition/healthy living.. There's lots of info on these things out there.. My Dad cured his rheumatism with nutrition and changed lifestyle (massage, movement/exercise, walking).. My knee only hurt after long hikes or such.. (Then again, I never ski or such, any knee-hurting practices are out..) Bicycle is okay, I only usually did short bike rides..

3 floors is quite a lot - could you do something outside the dorm meanwhile? Do you have a cafe or study room nearby? (So you could omit some of the up'n'downs?) Or a friend in 1st floor?
I never use the dryer if I can help it, just hang the clothes on the line. Not sure if it would be possible in a dorm, hm? Some girls had those stands in their rooms or balconies, it depends on the dorm.

It's good you found something you can do and find easily! - for me, it's not so simple - I rather hate cleaning too, the chemicals etc - or do you use more eco-friendly/health-friendly cleaning solutions? (chemicals can cause rheumatism/backache/joint aches too) Do check the labels and ingredients if you can, there's a whole movement in USA for schools etc to use greener and more health-friendly cleaning products!

1.800 words, YAY! Sort of daily quota accomplished, we'll see if it goes up (the house is empty again & no disruptions! :))
How is your thesis going? :)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Me and my Hamster » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:14 am

Well, my knee problem is not a matter of lifestyle and health issue. It's just bone that got formed this way. I had an MRI and they made measurements, and so on. It's a strictly physical condition. I could be vegan or eat only meat, that wouldn't make much difference. (But I don't really eat meat anyway :p)
So, biking is not recommended, because the muscles and tendons make the rotula come closer to the femur. I need to stretch regularly, so the tendons are a bit loose and the rotula not completely against the f******* flat bone.

I don't have a stand to put the clothes on line. And it's not recommended to let the cloths get dry in a corridor, because of the humidity and the lack of air circulation.

Regarding the cleaning stuff, I don't really have the choice, the company uses some products we have to use to clean the place we're paid to clean. But I would rather use eco/environment-friendly products. I can't really stand chemicals. I can't even stand the odour of wash powder. Even flowers get me headaches. Smell good, but it's too strong and overwhelming.

I don't really love cleaning btw... but that kind of job gives you free mind. You don't need to focus on important things. You can listen to music of think of your own interests while vacuuming the floor...

No wonder I wasn't good as a employee at McDonalds. I couldn't focus on the commands, and always had to check again and again on the screen what the command was... Haha! I took much more time than anybody else. I was better in the kitchen, with automatic jobs like preparing the burgers. You don't need to remembers words and quantities that vary order after order...
I'm poor at selling stuff, and so on. And I don't have much social skills. I'm better in imaginary, free tasks, or repetitive tasks that don't require big skills with people. :mrgreen:
Me and my Hamster
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby butterflykiss » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:51 pm

Hej hamster.
Er du dansker eller amerikaner - og hvorfor taler du dansk?
I am reading Barbara Sher's book about scanners and I am very high about it.
Butterflykiss
butterflykiss
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Me and my Hamster » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:27 pm

Hej!
Jeg er franskmand og jeg her boet her i Danmark i tre år. Jeg har læst dansk i næsten fem år. Jeg kom som udvekslingstuderende og bestemte at blive her. Jeg læser nordisk sprog og literatur.
Er du dansker?
Me and my Hamster
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby butterflykiss » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:50 am

Ja, jeg er dansker og bor i Danmark.
Det er jo ikke til at vide hvor i verden man befinder sig, når man er på Nettet.
Jeg læser kun engelsk/amerikansk, og har stor glæde af de amerikanske tilbud på Nettet.'
butterflykiss
New Poster
New Poster

Next

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners