W: Household Rhythm O: Can't figure out how

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

W: Household Rhythm O: Can't figure out how

Postby Kirsten » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:28 pm

I am a mom of 5 young children. I'm a hardcore scanner with a wide variety of interest. I collect ideas, and act on many, but also have many sitting and waiting for the right time. My biggest struggle is with getting into a rhythm (I resist the word routine) in terms of managing our household. I'm perpetually overwhelmed with the dishes, laundry, picking up, meals etc. I've been a big fan of flylady for 9 years now and that helps, but I have yet to stick with any of that for even a week.

Reading about scanners over the holidays (I got Refuse to Choose about a month before and finally dived in), was such a relief, but I've been searching for how scanners manage household and I haven't found very much here or elsewhere.

I would appreciate creative ideas for how to make this work that never changes and is ever present more varied and fun, so I could get on to all the other things I like to do without always feeling like the house etc. are competing for my attention. I will add that my standards aren't that high and I have a fairly high tolerance of mess, but I need things to be functional and doable. (ie. kitchen needs to be clean enough so I feel like I can make dinner).

Thanks for any ideas! I'm so grateful to discover I'm a scanner and that there are so many others out there like me!
All the best,
Kirsten
Kirsten
New Poster
New Poster

Re: W: Household Rhythm O: Can't figure out how

Postby elizagard » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi Kirsten - First a disclaimer, I'm a scanner but have no children. However, I do like Bonnie McCullough's Totally Organized.

http://www.amazon.com/Bonnie-Runyan-McC ... r_dp_pel_1

I've used this book so much that it literally fell apart at the seams. I punched holes and put the pages in binders. My favorite is minimum maintenance - 5 minutes minimum for each room of the house (except the kitchen which needs a little more). Anything less than that and your house will start to fall apart, even if your standards aren't that high. I use a timer. She has a lot of tips about children too.

Hope this helps!
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Kirsten » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:36 pm

Thanks! That is helpful! I like her book on how to get her kids to work at home. With the 5 minutes on each room, I assume that's just main living spaces? I like that idea, I have a hard time stopping after 5 minutes on anything, but I like the idea of only 5 minutes! :) Do you know if her budgeting book is any good? I could use help in that area too!

All the best,
Kirsten
Kirsten
New Poster
New Poster

Postby elizagard » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:52 am

Hi Kirsten,

I've read only the one book, but it also includes info about budgeting and getting kids to do house work, so recommend starting with that one. For the five minutes, I break it down as follows kitchen, bathroom, dining area, living area, and bedroom. For the living area, I sometimes break that into zones - entry, desk/office area, lounging area. However, it's flexible enough to do this however it works for you. I've been doing this more lately, and while my house isn't perfect, it's much better.

Elizabeth
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby elizagard » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:53 am

Oh, and 5 minutes is the minimum. You can do more, but with any less than that it's hard to keep up.
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby happykat » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:52 pm

www.flylady.net

Some people just pick out the parts of this program that appeal to them.
happykat
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Unity » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:31 am

Hi Kirsten

I might look at this from a different approach. My children are now grown up but I remember what it was like to have a very busy household and lot of interests. As a result I spent most of the time feeling completely exhausted trying to keep up with everything.

If I had to do it all again, it would be different. I'm not saying don't have interests, but be sensible, have a balance and take a look at your responsibilities.

I found when the children were younger I managed to fit in everything no matter how I felt, yet when they were older and I had more spare time, procrastination set in with a vengeance. So if you get a system in place, keep up with no matter what.

Good Luck!
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby momof3plus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:59 am

I'm interested in this too. I have 4 little ones and am a scanner as well (which I'm hating at the moment, but that's for another post)...
Right now I'm reading SIMPLICITY PARENTING and it's really good. I should have done the tasks after each chapter, but instead read
right through...

Something to look into. Also, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Organizing from the Inside Out by Julie Morgenstern. I felt like I really got ahead after reading that book.

hth!

and nice to meet a MOM who is a scanner as well!
Be YOU Again.
www.mombodysoul.com
momof3plus
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby happykat2 » Wed May 04, 2011 5:21 am

momof3plus wrote:I'm interested in this too. I have 4 little ones and am a scanner as well (which I'm hating at the moment, but that's for another post)...
Right now I'm reading SIMPLICITY PARENTING and it's really good. I should have done the tasks after each chapter, but instead read
right through...

Something to look into. Also, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Organizing from the Inside Out by Julie Morgenstern. I felt like I really got ahead after reading that book.

hth!

Yes, that book's great :)
happykat2
New Poster
New Poster

Postby happykat » Sun May 08, 2011 6:13 am

momof3plus wrote:I'm interested in this too. I have 4 little ones and am a scanner as well (which I'm hating at the moment, but that's for another post)...
right through...

hth!

Yes, Organizing from the Inside Out is great!
happykat
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby momof3plus » Sun May 08, 2011 4:51 pm

Another thing...is there anything in your day that stays more or less the same? For us, it was lunch time and quiet time (right after lunch) and so I put those down first, because there's no sense messing with something that everyone's already used to...

and what I did after that was alternate between active periods, and slower periods to create a 'rhythm'...so here's our tentative rhythm:

breakfast
playtime
homeschool
snack/'recess (aka free play)
homeschool
lunch/play
quiet time
snack/free time
dinner
play w/ dad
winddown for bed/sleep

I also plan to alternate days this way; monday -go out, tues-stay in, wed - out, etc.so that everyone has enough down time at home

hth still working out the bugs, hope it all made sense, typing one handed while nursing the baby
Be YOU Again.
www.mombodysoul.com
momof3plus
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby FindingMe » Fri May 13, 2011 9:13 pm

I am in the same boat! It seems that I finish one thing right when I need to start it again, it takes me that long! I love havign a clean and tidy place, but can never seem to get into a rythm. There is always washing to fold (I always get around to it eventualy!), and just generally everything is a mess. There are days where I spend hours on my wardrobe, for example, but then walk out of my room to realise that the rest of the house is a bomb, and it kills me! By the time I get around to getting the house tidy, my wardrobe is yet again a mess!

Other times, I tell myself I will do everything, but move from one thing to the next and really don't get much done. I get side-tracked so easily. I tend to listen to music, read, check email and facebook, cook AND clean all at once. But if I don't do this I get bored and tend not to do anything at all.

Truly exhausting. :roll:
FindingMe
New User
New User

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners