I still don't know what to do for a career.

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

I still don't know what to do for a career.

Postby Serendipity » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:52 pm

I just spent an hour talking to my friend. He needed career advice so I helped him map out a plan to accomplish his goal of becoming an engineer. He appreciated the help I gave him. The problem is that I have no clue what I want to do with my life. He was worried about getting older and not having a career picked out. He is 8 years younger than me. I guess I'm a scanner. I have so many interests and skills. I need to pursue some kind of career but I have no idea what. Everyone keeps asking me what I plan to do with my life and I don't know what to tell them. Most of my friends and family have jobs they love and they want me to be happy too. All I know is that I want to work in a creative field. I just don't know what to do with my skills and interests.
I really like computers. Over the course of last year, I learned the basics of photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver, flash and after effects. I'm planning on taking a course in final cut editing. I want to study 3 D animation someday. I plan to learn as many computer programs online as I can. I have a PC and a Mac at home.
I don't want to study computer science. I just like the creative things that can be done with computers.
I'm not an artist who can draw really well so I can't be an animator. I do want to learn how to draw for fun, though.
I have lots of administrative assistant experience but it is all in finance and accounting. I hate finance and accounting.
I'm really good with money and numbers. I thought about working in accounts payable at a creative company but I don't have an accounting degree nor do I want one.
I'm very good at research. I can find almost anything.
I love history and politics. I have a bachelors degree in history.
I usually read about a book a day. Usually nonfiction. A wide variety of topics.
I love to travel. I can speak a little in some languages but I'm not fluent in anything yet.
According to many people, I'm a really good writer.
I have some film production experience. I took film and television classes in college. I also worked on some independent and student films.
I've taken a year of acting classes. I'm pretty good at performing in front of a group.
I like antique cars, trains and aviation. I want to get a private pilot's license someday.
I like extreme sports and other adventures.
I can afford to take some night classes but I can't afford to get another degree.
I'm interested in a lot of other things.
I'm afraid that I will take a boring dead end accounting office job again. I really don't want to do that. I would like to work somewhere where I can learn stuff.
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams". Eleanor Roosevelt
Serendipity
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: I still don't know what to do for a career.

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:12 am

Perhaps you can combine your interest in history with film production and consult with producers on historical accuracy. For example, if you've seen "The King's Speech," can you tell if the life of that period was portrayed accurately?
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Gifted » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:32 pm

Way too often we try to fit ourselves into jobs that already exist in areas that we already know. But what if you were to invent something new, or at least consider something that may be an off-the-wall kind of alternative?

You know what you like and what you don't. How can you put your likes together into something unique and refreshing?

There's a video you can watch that might help. It refers to 'being gifted', but you can easily replace this with 'being a scanner' and still get a lot of guidance from it. It helps you find your life passion. And when your 'work' is your life passion, how much better can it get? :wink:
Gifted for Life - Awaken a legacy
http://giftedforlife.com
Gifted
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Andreya » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:53 pm

Serendipity, have you read Refuse to Choose yet? If not, I really recommend it... It may not answer all questions or give readymade answers, it may help with some concepts though - like 'the umbrella career' or 'good/great enough job' etc.

Beware too much passion - it can mean you might burn out quickly too (personal experiences). When you do burn out, don't assume it's because you were not 'good enough' or 'not a right fit' (maybe there were other factors etc and in a different environment/with different people it could go differently)

If you like creative things that can be done with computers consider setting up a website or a few and monetizing them. (I wish I had done that before). Even if you don't make much money from that, at least you'll get some experience (and maybe you can help other people set up their websites or such too). You could also do some multimedia production for the website (and maybe for other people's websites too?) you could make niche sites about antique cars or extreme sports etc? (not sure who or what you would promote, there are probably books or courses/workshops or any affiliate programs for cars or extreme shops too?) Some people don't make much money from websites/design, some do...

Consider finding at least one moneymaker (or a few) and then pursuing any 'other interesting things'... What about being a Virtual Assistant or such?
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners