Hating being a Scanner :(

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Hating being a Scanner :(

Postby momof3plus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:00 am

At first I loved it, a lightbulb went off, but I'm sick sick sick of it. I want to stick to ONE THING. and Love it and pour all my heart and soul into it, and FINISH IT. A to Z, but I lose passion, I lose interest, and start to downright hate anything I'm getting involved in.

Help!
Be YOU Again.
www.mombodysoul.com
momof3plus
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Hating being a Scanner :(

Postby skannie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:41 am

Perhaps your one thing isn't any particular interest but a common theme that runs through all of them.

Or perhaps you're not meant to finish anything, but to learn just enough about lots of things so you can tell other people about them. You could be a natural reviewer or adviser or catalogue maker.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby eubielicious » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:01 pm

momof3plus wrote:At first I loved it, a lightbulb went off, but I'm sick sick sick of it. I want to stick to ONE THING. and Love it and pour all my heart and soul into it, and FINISH IT. A to Z, but I lose passion, I lose interest, and start to downright hate anything I'm getting involved in.

Help!

Yes - I have that problem too - been spending the last 30 years looking for the one thing that would make me truly happy forever and haven't found it. Now I'm working out how I can best work with my scanner nature. I can't say I've got any good answers for you, but you're definitely not alone!

I got asked that question again this evening: 'what are you passionate about?' - I either clam up at that question or start reciting the latest list!

Euan
eubielicious
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby sweetsoulmusic » Sat May 07, 2011 10:33 am

Perhaps you will be fulfilled by a collection of things, rather than ONE thing at a time. I, myself, feel genuinely called to do about 4 different things that are all big things. If I went after just one of them, I wouldn't feel balanced or fulfilled. I must be continually going after all four at the same time or I will feel lost. Maybe there are a couple of things that really put a spark in your eye, and when you put them all together, it'll light that fire within you that you are looking for.
sweetsoulmusic
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby mango » Sat May 07, 2011 11:03 am

Hi,

I've thought that I was a scanner for years, and just recently realized that each 'bright new plan' was an avoidance technique so that I wouldn't have to own the fact that I was scared to pursue the thing that I really loved.

Could that be happening to you?

Don't get me wrong - I love and have done a lot of different things (I'll spare you the list). But at heart, I don't think I'm a scanner.
A stunning realization after all these years.

And yes, I've started to pursue my dream. I haven't told anyone what it is yet (since I have a strong reputation as a scanner even here), but I'm going to soon. :D

Just a thought.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby eubielicious » Sat May 07, 2011 12:27 pm

mango wrote:Hi,

I've thought that I was a scanner for years, and just recently realized that each 'bright new plan' was an avoidance technique so that I wouldn't have to own the fact that I was scared to pursue the thing that I really loved.

Could that be happening to you?

Don't get me wrong - I love and have done a lot of different things (I'll spare you the list). But at heart, I don't think I'm a scanner.
A stunning realization after all these years.

And yes, I've started to pursue my dream. I haven't told anyone what it is yet (since I have a strong reputation as a scanner even here), but I'm going to soon. :D

Just a thought.

This is a good thought Mango. I have at times wondered if this is really what I'm like, but am now convinced it's not quite that simple. What I also sometimes think is that perhaps what I am passionate about has a single theme: helping people to achieve. But then I love things like maps, roads, puzzles and Shostakovich symphonies.

Euan
eubielicious
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby momof3plus » Sun May 08, 2011 7:00 pm

This is what I'm wondering. If all these projects were actually part of my journey to ONE big thing..or else, why do I deep down want the one big life project so bad?

Since I was a kid, I wanted to help people in refugee camps...I feel like I can't move forward until I've done that. And not just fundraising. I mean to actually be there, and support and counsel and help them.

I do many things, but this is harder because I have young kids and traveling is not an option right now.

I don't know if I want to keep going doing all my other projects, when i could put all my focus into this
Be YOU Again.
www.mombodysoul.com
momof3plus
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Me and my Hamster » Wed May 11, 2011 4:25 am

I've been through this too, as many of us i guess.
And every time I get a new "toy" I say "yeah this is it!" but I lose interest in it also... I was feeling bad about it... feeling like I was born to get ideas but not use them...

But I also feel called in few areas. I think I found at least two of them. The first one is that I know I want to do something with art (as a painter and a musician), and the second one is that I want to use different languages, learn them and meet a lot of people from different places. I've been a volunteer to welcome, guide and organize stuff for international students, and I had the best evenings of my life with them. Almost nothing like it.
I still have a "tiny" feeling that physics might have been one of those big things. I still want to do something about that, but I lost time and knowledge, and for now, it is just impossible to fulfill that... for now; maybe I'll come back to this later.

As for Sweetsoulmusic, if I went after one of these at a time, not doing the others, I would feel unbalanced.

It's quite hard because even in those interests, I get passionate and lose interests... I can quickly pass from highly passionate to deeply uninterested. And then it comes again, but those fields are always within me. I know I want to do something in those. It's been a long way until I came to this conclusion, and for years I've felt down, like I wouldn't be able to do anything, I wanted to find MY own path, the ONE thing and stick to it. But now I've decided that since I'm different, I don't need to try to do like almost everybody else; I just need to find a way to be myself, and I think I've found that way.

I think the hardest thing about it (and why it puts us down) is to make the relatives/family/friends/society/goldfish and lettuce accept it. Because I've seen most of my school/childhood mates find a job and get well with that, while I was (and still am) struggling with all my interests and feeling like I'm stuck.
Me and my Hamster
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby tinyhouse » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:12 pm

I've thought about it, too.When I was reading the letter about the realization of being afraid, I started to tear up and get a lump in my throat. That's always a sign for me that there's something to that. (Great- I thought I had worked out my fear issues!) Being scanners we've probably all felt like we haven't been taken seriously, even ridiculed. Part of the fear could come from lack of support. I didn't have any feedback growing up and when a college guidance counselor saw my collection of evening courses on top of my day courses, she laughed! And she was head of counseling! I learned not to take any one in a position of "authority" too seriously after that!
I also read the post about scanners as kids and it made me wonder if I AM a scanner. I haven't written my list yet but I don't remember my interests being that that diversified when I was young...hmmm. Homework!
tinyhouse
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Annalena » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:14 am

Mango, now I'm seriously curios what that one thing is! :)
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:55 am

S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster