Can't seem to start my first entry in my Scanner daybook

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Can't seem to start my first entry in my Scanner daybook

Postby IndustriousIris » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:55 am

Hello, my name is Iris, a dutch Scanner and brsnd new here. I don't think there is an "introduction topic" is there? Maybe I should start one?
Well first my first question:-)
I read Refuse to Choose recently and wanted to start a Scanner daybook and now I am sitting here finally in my workroom, I can't think of any idea to write about.... Barbara says in her book: Choose a project that's interesting and has possibilities, but one that you might never develop much past this first description.
Although I have many ideas, it are all ideas I really want to develop farther and I even can't choose between all those ideas to start with for my Scanner daybook.... Stuck allready:-( What shall I do?
IndustriousIris
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Can't seem to start my first entry in my Scanner daybook

Postby Unity » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:58 am

Hi Iris welcome to the group :D

The link below is the thread you are meant to read and introduce yourself

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18985
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby IndustriousIris » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:21 am

Thank you! I am not so familiar with boards, I hardly use them, way more familiar with email groups like Yahoo, but I'll learn :wink:
So, I just posted a reply to the thread you gave me and introduced myself.
IndustriousIris
New Poster
New Poster

Postby skannie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:11 pm

Hi Iris. I can't remember that particular sentence in Refuse to Choose. But I'm sure Barbara didn't mean it as a strict rule. Two bits of advice I do remember from her other books, for people who are having trouble starting something, are to start with a very small unit, and to start by deliberately doing it badly.

So I suggest that to break the spell of that first blank page you start writing whatever comes into your head, instead of trying to think of some big and wonderful idea. Write a verse of a nursery rhyme, or do a doodle, or start with "My name is ....... I'm here in ......... and I can see.......... etc. etc.

If you've got a lot of ideas competing with each other in your brain, whether you want to develop them or not, allocate a page and a title to each one. Then you can gradually fill in more information about them in any order whenever you feel like it.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:59 pm

I would add this to the great advice: You don't need to use the Scanner Daybook until your many ideas get in the way of a project that you've already started.

So start a project. If you find yourself getting derailed by a tangential aspect of a project, then get out the Daybook and create a page that describes that idea so that you can return to your original project.

For example, if you've started a quilting project but then come across a neat computer program for designing quilting patterns, make some brief notes about the program in your scanner daybook. Then return to your quilting project.

Good luck!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby IndustriousIris » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:37 am

Thanks SquarePeg and Skannie, this is helpful! Because I am in the middle of the process of deciding what to do to earn some money and too many ideas in my head, I think it is a good thing to start my daybook! I also bought a second hand Rolodex card thing to put all my ideas in on alphabetical order, I really liked that idea and I always fancied a Rolodex :wink: So the project now is finding a way to earn money.
To allocate a page and a title to each idea in the Scanner daybook is a great idea. It is a bit like the 3 ring binder idea Barbara came up with, but the problem I have with that is that I was just trying to get rid of all those binders and other stuff to make room for living. In a household with 3 homeschooled kids and all of us Scanners en no spare room (on the contrary), space is sacred. When papers are worth keeping, I scan them, so I make my digital version of the 3 ring binder. I tag everything using Tagger and Yep on a Mac, which works great for me. And just found out about Evernotes, not tried yet, but seems interesting for this all. And I don't need to print interesting things from the interne this way, saves paper too!
IndustriousIris
New Poster
New Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:08 pm

Sounds like you have a great setup! I always liked Rolodex -- it was so easy to add/remove cards.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:17 am

SquarePeg wrote:I would add this to the great advice: You don't need to use the Scanner Daybook until your many ideas get in the way of a project that you've already started.

So start a project. If you find yourself getting derailed by a tangential aspect of a project, then get out the Daybook and create a page that describes that idea so that you can return to your original project.

For example, if you've started a quilting project but then come across a neat computer program for designing quilting patterns, make some brief notes about the program in your scanner daybook. Then return to your quilting project.

Good luck!
A daybook can be useful like that, if you’re working on one idea and get distracted by a new one, but I disagree that that’s its only purpose.

I think the main point of the daybook is to get into the habit of valuing and writing down all your ideas, whenever you get them – big or small, practical or fanciful, realistic or crazy. If you have an idea when your daybook isn’t nearby, you can write it down on a handy bit of paper and glue it in later.

Then your ideas are safe so you won’t lose them. You can start developing some of them immediately, or you can go back and develop them at any time in the future. Others you might never do anything more about, except read them occasionally for amusement.

It’s great if you have some ideas you can develop and make money from. But don’t get into the trap of thinking you have to do that with all of them, or that those are the only ones worth writing down.

Sometimes the germ of a seemingly useless old idea cross-fertilises with a half-baked new idea to create something wonderful.

Yes, for ideas that do develop into projects, folders on your computer can be the electronic equivalent of Barbara’s ring-binders. Evernote can be useful too, but I don’t find myself using it consistently. Some people use a blog or Posterous or Google pages as an online daybook. I haven't found a perfect system yet. Use whatever works for you at any time.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby IndustriousIris » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:34 am

There are many, many note taking and mindmapping apps, too much to be able to choose one. Non of them has all the possibilities I'd like to see, neither does Evernote.
I think you are right, Skannie, that the Daybook is for all my ideas popping up! What I meant by developing every project that comes in mind, is not always to try to earn money with it. I just like doing and trying out many things and most of my ideas... That's why I introduce myself sometimes as an unschooling mom with too many hobbies;-)
Only now I am in the middle of figuring out what to do to earn some money, because life is getting more expensive, especially with the kids getting older and my husband can't earn all we need anymore on his own. So everything I can make some money with is welcome, but it must be kind of lucrative, not to time consuming if you know what I mean. I could spin great yarns for example and try to sell them on Etsy, but that takes more time than that it pays me money. Nice to do when I have time left, but for now it is more important to earn substantial more...
IndustriousIris
New Poster
New Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:01 pm

skannie, you're right. The Daybook is wonderful for recording ideas, period.

I was just trying to reassure Iris that she didn't have to worry about not having ideas to put in her Daybook -- that it wasn't compulsory like Julia Cameron's "Morning Pages" (in "The Artist's Way").

Thanks for mentioning Google Pages (now called Google Sites). You reminded me that I created a page there! I'm also pretty sure I checked out Posterous, too, but I can't find anything there that belongs to me.

Peace
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:43 pm

SquarePeg wrote: I was just trying to reassure Iris that she didn't have to worry about not having ideas to put in her Daybook -- that it wasn't compulsory like Julia Cameron's "Morning Pages" (in "The Artist's Way").
That’s a very good point, Squarepeg. The daybook isn’t compulsory. You don’t have to write in it every day. And you don’t have to develop each idea in writing before you start acting on it. Some ideas can be developed better by practical experimentation.

I do think it’s a good idea to record your ideas somehow or other, and physically writing them in a journal or daybook can be a very good way of doing it. But there are many other ways nowadays. I use my digital camera a lot to record projects, events, posters and signs, and anything I see on my rambles that catches my interest. I also have huge numbers of folders on my computer and various external drives. Some people might prefer to talk into an audio recorder or camcorder, or make a slide presentation, or a story board, or a digital or paper scrap book etc. etc.

But I get the impression that Iris has a daybook and plenty of ideas, and wants to write them down to stop them clattering around in her head. She’s just experiencing a lot of resistance to starting.

I remember having the same problem as a child, whenever I’d get a present of a nice blank book. I was afraid of spoiling the pure, clean, beautiful first page by writing something stupid or trivial, or with mistakes and crossings out, or not in perfect hand-writing. So I’d end up not writing anything at all. Is that the way you feel Iris? Have you started yet?
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:22 pm

skannie wrote:-snip-
I was afraid of spoiling the pure, clean, beautiful first page by writing something stupid or trivial, or with mistakes and crossings out, or not in perfect hand-writing. So I’d end up not writing anything at all. Is that the way you feel Iris? Have you started yet?

I know, that's a big problem for me, too. That's why I refuse to buy those fancy blank journals and choose to write in 99 cent memo pads instead.

Hoping to hear back from Iris.... Maybe she's so busy with her ideas, she forgot about us! :)
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby IndustriousIris » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:52 am

Here I am again:-) I tend to forget forums and boards, I am more used to email groups like Yahoo :oops: and indeed I have been busy with my ideas too :) I was looking for the ultimate note taking app for on a Mac and iPhone with mindmapping and Open Meta tagging and so, so searching for them, trying them and of course the ultimate app doesn't exist. So another idea was born: learn to program and build one myself :wink: That's the idea I started with in my Scanner daybook, with pencil, because yes I am afraid of spoiling the blank, clear first page. I had that as a child, I had that when I was in Art College and I still have it now...
But I started! And not only on paper, because with testing these apps, I started to take notes for several eBooks I want to write about real food with recipes in it. For me it is easier on the computer, because all the information I have and find is there and when I start writing those books, I'll do that on the computer as well of course! I am looking forward to do the next assignment with the map of our home and register all the projects laying around in the house, there are dozens, especially in my workroom and on the computer...
IndustriousIris
New Poster
New Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners