Weird question maybe: How do to everything at once?

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Weird question maybe: How do to everything at once?

Postby Annalena » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:50 am

Hi everyone,

I posted a while ago about not knowing what I wanted, what kind of job, and so on.

Right now, there are a lot of projects that are going on - which is great! But I'm not sure where to start or how to handle everything... I should be thrilled...but instead I feel paralyzed..."so much going on". Dont get me wrong, I LIKE it this way!!

I'm

- writing my thesis (due in November, want to be done in August/September latest)- pretty hard for me, not something I enjoy- just want to finally get school out of the way ASAP

- my boyfriend just started a business with a friend which requires him to pretty much live in another town (where we are gonna move to eventually- right now he's staying with his parents) so I want to support him- both regarding business matters and take care of the "every day" stuff so he can focus (at least for the first couple of months) and also take care of the every day stuff concerning our old apartment and everything going at home (where we still- technically- live). Thats pretty hard too, cause I grew up having my mom telling me you should never "give up" yourself for a man or "work for him" (and contradicted herself by doing exactly that).

I want to do that for him or us, we're a team! I just have to remind myself it's not wrong and I'm not really "giving up" anything here! He would do the same thing in a heartbeat.

I also want to support him by being with him as much as I can- which is hard cause we are staying with his parents and I really dont like that. especially when he is gone and I'm there with them. Feels awkward.Plus, he has a lot of friends here and I dont (yet). The upside: Doing my promo and business fair hostess jobs,

- Declutter old apartment (horror! But will feel good after)

-CLEAN (same)

- Look for new apartment here (actually enjoyable)

- I ve been wanting to write for a while and finally picked a project that I think will be successfull and doable in an ok amount of time. I want to get this done SOON. I want it to get published. And I know its a good idea. Just whenever I sit down to write I think "you should really be doing your thesis!" I dont think anyone else will have the idea, but I think it would be great to come out before Christmas.

- I have an idea for a start up that I think is a much needed idea and will be successful. Right now I'm driven. I just hope it stays that way! It's kinda in the Groupon range of things, but then again, its different. :) Dont want to give away too mujch just yet. Its something that has to be done SOON thou. Otherwise someone else will do it.

- Then,I want /need to go on my promo and hostessing jobs, just for making money for right now.

So.:) How do I do everything? Like, did a schedule -like thing work for you? Problem is- with my boyfriend's business- unplanned things can come up. Also, I cant just decide to "write now"- sometimes it just doesnt work.

It's an exciting time right now- everything's changing as we're both done with school but also a very uncertain time.

I feel like mostly, I need to get thesis + last 2 exams out of the way and I'll have way more energy fdor everything. But then again, some things shall be done soon.

Any suggestions?

Sorry this is so long!!
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Weird question maybe: How do to everything at once?

Postby Unity » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:18 am

Hi Annalena, nice to see you here again

I think the way to find the answer is to re-write your list again so you only have one line for each choice so it will be very easy to read at a glance.

Then choose numbers 1-5. 1 being the most important priority and 5 the least - so that can be for things that have no time limit. Add the numbers next to each choice.

Then you can re-write your list in the number order if you wish to make it easier.

If anything unexpected comes ups, add it to your list and pick a number.

So even though you now have quite a long list, with this system, it can feel as though you only have 5. I use this method for some of my projects and really ought to use it more as it works.

What I find is that if I'm in a procrastinating mood then I do things no 5. So even though I have avoided something important, at least something gets ticked off the list.

Where are you living now as you mentioned your old apartment?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:41 am

Being of an academic bent myself, I know how it is to have a thesis/comprehensive exam, etc., looming. I would give high priority to the thesis and at least work on it some of the time first each day/week, before working on anything else. When I do this, I feel better, and don't feel as guilty diverging off into other things for awhile (that's probably healthy).
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annalena » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:15 am

Unity wrote:Where are you living now as you mentioned your old apartment?

Well we are- technically- still living in our old apartment in our old city- N.

My boyfriend's parents live in M. where we are also planning to move to. Where also his business is gonna be.

Right now he's gonna stay here for the most part and I'm gonna live here and there and nowhere really. :)
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Annalena » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:47 am

Taking your suggestion...rewriting my list. Excited to see if it works!

- Thesis - 1

- Every day stuff so boyfriend can focus on business - 2 (this includes the next 3 basically).

- Declutter/clean old apartment

- Look for new apartment here in M.- 4

- Write book draft - 5

- Startup idea - 6

- Promo jobs - 3 (need some money)

1-3 was easy. 4-6 feels like they should get the same priority.
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners