Scanner breakthrough...kind of

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Scanner breakthrough...kind of

Postby Annalena » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:06 am

I am at the end of my studies and in the process of thinking about what I want to do... as I guess you can see, not quite that easy for a scanner!! But I kind of overcame the feeling I can't do anything cause I'm missing out on everything else, I came to the conclusion I'm just gonna start SOMETHING and see how it goes. I mean, I don't have to do it forever, I am free to quit, right? It's weird how most people probably want a job that they can hold forever, and that's just what I am scared of, but I am proud I even made it to this conclusion. :)
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Scanner breakthrough...kind of

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Great thinking! Nothing is permanent -- an important realization.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:49 pm

After your previous comments about this subject, it's a big step forward for you Annalena. Do you feel relieved now?
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annalena » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:37 am

I actually do! Thanks for your comments and support!

I think one major realization was that even within ONE job, I can do a lot of different things ( I uploaded my CV to a couple of sites and was contacted by a small company who are looking for young managers and very much emphasized that one must not be "too proud to deal with anything, really". I was thrilled! :) ). Also, I keep telling myself that
1- life will be much easier once I'm done with school (since I have a VERY hard time just doing school work)
2- working 40 hours, I definitely can do other things on the side, like writing
3- I might just as well have another job like a year or 1.5 years after I start the first one. Always have to remind yourself you're not forced to do it forever.
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:59 pm

I like to look for jobs in which there is always an opportunity to learn new things. That helps break up the tedium of just making stuff and shipping it.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BoFlexson » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:58 am

I have found that everything is temporary, especially jobs. I've help jobs that I had the most knowledge expertise that no one thought they could get rid of me. They did of course.

Starting a new job is the fun part anyways, the part were you learn so much and you are challenged everyday. Good luck on your job hunt and be sure to let us know how it goes.
BoFlexson
New User
New User

Postby Scenario Thinker » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:44 pm

BoFlexson wrote:I have found that everything is temporary, especially jobs. I've help jobs that I had the most knowledge expertise that no one thought they could get rid of me. They did of course.

Right. Even though no one could ever replace your knowledge or the way you do things exactly, they just find a way around it, even if it ends up being crap work and band aids. It's not near as good as it used to be with you, but the end result still gets done.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annalena » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:19 am

So, here's the good news- I currently have a (promotion) job for 5 days in a row, which is quite long actually, and I really kind of love that whole going to work every day and doing something with a purpose everyday!

I've started my job applications and actually am excited about the process. Just hope to find a job with a lot of freedom, a lot of opportunities to learn and being around people.

Now the bad news. I have to finish this DAMN thesis before!!!Which I haven't looked at in about 6 weeks. I HATE it! And seeing how much fun work is makes me hate it even more. But it's not a choice!

My plan right now is to get a job offer (well, if that works) for like middle of September and then to be "forced" to really get that thesis thing out of the way before starting. I know I can when I have to...I work best under pressure.
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby skannie » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:16 am

Another thing you could do is start a "Finish My Thesis!" thread on here. Announce your planned finishing date and some sub-goals e.g. a certain number of words per week. Plan a celebration for when it's done, and report your progress regularly. I'm sure other members will be willing to cheer you on and keep you accountable. It's worked very well for other people.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annalena » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:08 am

Really? I kinda have the feeling I annoyed people enough regarding that particular topic. ;)
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:37 am

Annalena wrote:I kinda have the feeling I annoyed people enough regarding that particular topic. ;)

Who cares?

I've done three that I can find. Just the fact of logging your progress where everyone can see it is enough to help motivate.

Learning French:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19286

Learning the programming language C++:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=22912

Learning to play a musical instrument (notice the time span between when I posted and when I started really doing it):
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11312
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:01 am

Don't worry -- I'll just ignore your thesis topic if it becomes too annoying. ;)

Go for it! Do it now!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners