Scanner frustration

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Scanner frustration

Postby Annalena » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:51 am

I know this is kind of contrary to my "scanner breakthrough" topic, but emotions are going up and down;)

I just read (again) a random article about Amy Winehouse and her death at 27. They all write about how she joined the "Club 27" with all those famous artists who died at 27. So it happens, I am 27, too , and although she by far is definitely no role model for me, I kind of got caught up in the thought " damnit, they are (well, were) 27 and have achieved so much , I am 27 and what have I achieved? A big damn nothing (provocatively put).

Because I have always done everything and never finished one thing really (as in , a book, for example...).

I am in the process of looking for jobs and figuring out what to do after (grad) school, and I am a very entrepreneurial thinking person. So basically , I should do something on my own! I do have millions of ideas, a lof of which I am convinced could be successful..but I just don't know if I could do it without being "guided" into what I have to do.

Looking for jobs though, I catch myself being attracted to job in start-ups and things like that, where you have great freedom for decisions and basically work very much like you have your own business....I think I would like that kind of work a lot, but I think I could be way more successful with my own start-up (or similiar). But how do I know I will do it , and not slack aoff?
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Scanner frustration

Postby Scenario Thinker » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:00 pm

Annalena wrote:they are (well, were) 27 and have achieved so much , I am 27 and what have I achieved? A big damn nothing (provocatively put).

Would you rather make it to 27, achieve so much, and be dead? Or have a lifetime yet to achieve things?
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annalena » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:22 pm

Good one..
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:01 am

Annalena, when I was 27 I had a three year old son and was working at a grocery store as a cashier. I had no idea at that time that I would ever do more. Admittedly, I wasn't even thinking about it. Still, I returned to college and got a BS in Accounting, had a good career, and I found the time to write a few novels. (plus lots of other things) So, just think, you are 27 and you have the mindset that you want to do something with your life. You have more drive and desire than most 27 year olds. Forget the few who are celebrities and live "way out there" lives. Just contribute to the world what you have to offer, and don't fret that you're not doing enough.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annalena » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:57 am

Kashtanka, thank you for your post.

I think I have realized one main thing: Life is not always gonna be the same. Some people started political careers at the age of 40 or 50, so it IS possible to have more than one career in your life.

Another big conclusion I only came to recently (please don't beat me here): Life doesn't exactly end when you're 30. :) I know that probably sounds ridicolous to everyone over 30, but that age always marked the "end" of fun things to do, possibilities to explore workwise, the opportunity to live abroad... now that it's close,I can imagine myself doing fun things still after that big "line";)

(But come on, everyone thought like that as Teenagers or in their early twenties!)
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:43 pm

Annalena, enjoy the ride, not the destination. You're still laying a foundation for a great future, and you seem to be doing fine.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annalena » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:43 am

That is great advice. I really should focus on the "the journey is the destination" mindset.

Thank you!
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:53 am

sounds ridiculous to everyone over 30, but that age always marked the "end" of fun things to do, possibilities to explore workwise, the opportunity to live abroad... now that it's close,I can imagine myself doing fun things still after that big "line";)

Growing up, the age 30 was the line for most people. There was a saying "never trust anyone over 30" There is a pressure to get it all set up by 30 - job, babies, marriage

Then you pass 30 and in your 40's, your life makes more sense.

30 is being an adult. Before then, it is all major drama, bright colors and a strong need to be accepted. After that, you tend to create your own path.

While there are certainly careers that aren't possible after 30 (ballerina for one), most limitations have to do with your health. If you stay in shape, then the options for your life expand. If you continue bad habits, then you pay for them with physical issues that limit your options.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:51 am

30 is when you finally grow up.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:08 am

Scenario Thinker wrote:30 is when you finally grow up.

I don't think anyone would believe that ST if they read some of our latest posts :D

Seriously, I remember feeling too old when I saw 20 coming up and anyone over 25 seemed past it and ancient. I even remember thinking I'll have to kill myself before then.

That seems unbelievable when I think about it now but a lot of other people I've discussed this with told me they felt exactly the same when they were younger.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:22 am

Unity1 wrote:I don't think anyone would believe that ST if they read some of our latest posts :D

:lol:

Like they say, youth is wasted on the young. I see it all the time at work, 20 somethings thinking the world revolves around them. I guess you can't blame them in a way, they have their youthful looks, their bodies still have the youthful energy and haven't broken down yet from injury or old age. They think they have all the answers because they have a degree, now.

But, they haven't been through the spouse, kids, divorce/death, etc., so they really haven't been challenged yet, I guess you have to give 'em a break. :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annalena » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:08 am

Actually, these days I think that you really grow up when you become a parent yourself.

Or, let me rephrase that, that is the time you REALLY need to grow up. Not saying some people still don't.

Funny realization.

was in the gym in a class the other day and looked at myself in the mirror... thinking to myself well you never thought you'd be able to still look hot at age 30!

(Have to say I do not look like 27 at all though).

But considering 30 is coming up in 2.5 years...I think I can make it until then still looking good;)

That also has changed a lot though, for example the image of a 50 -year-old woman today and 20 years ago....20 years ago I think most people would have imagined a grandma with short grey curls (me, at least...)..today.. think Madonna, Ellen DeGeneres..
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby shparks » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:34 am

Annalena wrote:Because I have always done everything and never finished one thing really (as in , a book, for example...).

I am in the process of looking for jobs and figuring out what to do after (grad) school, and I am a very entrepreneurial thinking person.

Am I the only one who caught this? You apparently finished undergraduate school and are planning to finish grad school.
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Annalena » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:03 pm

shparks wrote:
Annalena wrote:Because I have always done everything and never finished one thing really (as in , a book, for example...).

I am in the process of looking for jobs and figuring out what to do after (grad) school, and I am a very entrepreneurial thinking person.

Am I the only one who caught this? You apparently finished undergraduate school and are planning to finish grad school.

Hi, I'm back :) What can I say, I AM a scanner, wanderer type...

no, our programs in Germany are "all-in-one". Or used to be. I just said grad school because that's what it would be in the US. It took 6 years for me and that's average.
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners