Scanner Job/Career Network/Community

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Scanner Job/Career Network/Community

Postby salutstella » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:49 am

Hi everyone!

I only recently joined the community but I find myself reading through the posts nearly every day! I read Barbara's Refuse to Choose book over the summer and it made me realize that I am a Scanner. It was such a relief! I felt like I no longer have to feel bad or make up excuses for my various interests! Thank you Barbara!

The reason why I am posting here is because now that I have graduated ,I should be looking for a job and am having a hard time doing so. A friend asked me, what would be the perfect job for me. And I said, if I could have five part time jobs (one for every day) I would be so happy! Or if I could work on one project for a few months, then move onto next... Needless to say, most of my friends don't understand my attitude and keep telling that I will eventually find the ONE thing I really like. They don't quite understand that most likely that will not happen...

I had a job interview a few weeks back, it would have been a part-time offer so I thought it would be worth a shot! The two guys interviewing me were really nice and one of them asked me to talk a bit about myself. So I started... and soon they realized that I have failed to truly stick to one direction. And they asked me, how come that is? And then I explained how I actually find that as an advantage, having tried so many different things... And then I had this idea, wouldn't it be wonderful to be working together with like-minded Scanners? We understand each other, and we know to appreciate all the different interests of each other. :) :)

So I was wondering, if there is some sort of Scanner Network? I am not 100% sure what I have in mind, but maybe a scanner community where everyone lists their talents, maybe uploads their CV and try to make some connections between one another. Something like LinkedIn for Scanners?

Maybe it already exists, if so, could you please send me the link?

I would really love to hear what you think about it. I am also looking forward to getting to know you all!

I am wishing you all an amazing Friday and a great start to weekend!
salutstella
New User
New User

Re: Scanner Job/Career Network/Community

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:29 am

Your post got entered 3 times, I deleted the two extra.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:44 am

Hi salutstella! Welcome to Scanner World!

Take no notice of your friends. Your fellow Scanners understand you perfectly. There's absolutely no need to limit your options like that.

Yes, do get five part-time jobs connected with 5 different interests, or work freelance on various projects, or set up your own business or organisation, or travel round the world doing casual work or teaching English, or study some new subjects, or make stuff and sell it at festivals, or be a street performer, or do some volunteering, or find a job that has a lot of variety of work and locations, or live in a self sufficiency community, or any combination of those and more.

I've also been thinking for a long time about the need for a scanner network something like you've described. So far I've managed to set up a Scanner Tribe website, Scanner Tribe groups on LinkedIn and Facebook, and a Facebook page. But I've been busy with other projects (typical scanner) and haven't been very active on any of them recently. My eventual aim is to make the website into a more interactive community site. And I have a big idea about creating a scanner centre where people can come to meet each other in real life, and teach each other stuff, and work on projects, and try out lots of different things. What do you think of that?
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby salutstella » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:11 am

Hi Skannie!

I am very sorry that I am just replying to you now. I remember how excited I was after I read your reply and then I said to myself, okay, tomorrow I am going to reply! And this was over a month ago!

I just liked the Scanner Tribe FB group. :) I think it is great that you take initiative and set up groups so that they can connect! I really like your idea about having a scanner centre! Where all the scanners can meet and exchange, kind of like a platform to grow with each others help? I am not sure which city you are in, but you could start it there and then you could ask for other people to do the same in their cities. I would love to open a Berlin branch! (That is where I am at the moment.)

I know exactly what you mean with being busy with other projects. I just started volunteering with refugees and of course I needed to also start blogging... and the list goes on as usual.

I just have a friend visiting, who is a very enthusiastic and inspirational person! She is one of those people, who is quite pragmatic, who really gets things done. I was thinking, wouldn't it be wonderful, if every Scanner (or those who are like me and need structure) could have a partner like that. Not necessarily a whole Scanner Support Group just one person with whom you can discuss, set deadlines, make plans and actually execute them. :)

I will try to join your Scanner Tribe group as well. Take care, thank you again for replying!

I wish you a lovely day :)
salutstella
New User
New User

Postby salutstella » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:11 am

Hi Skannie!

I am very sorry that I am just replying to you now. I remember how excited I was after I read your reply and then I said to myself, okay, tomorrow I am going to reply! And this was over a month ago!

I just liked the Scanner Tribe FB group. :) I think it is great that you take initiative and set up groups so that they can connect! I really like your idea about having a scanner centre! Where all the scanners can meet and exchange, kind of like a platform to grow with each others help? I am not sure which city you are in, but you could start it there and then you could ask for other people to do the same in their cities. I would love to open a Berlin branch! (That is where I am at the moment.)

I know exactly what you mean with being busy with other projects. I just started volunteering with refugees and of course I needed to also start blogging... and the list goes on as usual.

I just have a friend visiting, who is a very enthusiastic and inspirational person! She is one of those people, who is quite pragmatic, who really gets things done. I was thinking, wouldn't it be wonderful, if every Scanner (or those who are like me and need structure) could have a partner like that. Not necessarily a whole Scanner Support Group just one person with whom you can discuss, set deadlines, make plans and actually execute them. :)

I will try to join your Scanner Tribe group as well. Take care, thank you again for replying!

I wish you a lovely day :)
salutstella
New User
New User

Postby skannie » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:42 am

Ah, now I know you're in Germany I can suggest you join the "Ich Bin Ein Scanner" group on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/groups/41374331958/
You can find other German scanners there, and maybe even some from Berlin. I became admin of it by accident, even though I don't understand much German. But now there are also two good German admins so I'm leaving it mainly to them.

In fact Barbara has an active community in Germany. Her books have been translated into German and there are registered success team leaders in several cities. She has done some live workshops there too. See this site for more info: http://www.wishcraft-online.de/
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby salutstella » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:50 am

Thank you! I signed up for both the English and the German Scanner FB Page. :)
salutstella
New User
New User

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners