My Scanner Centre Idea

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

My Scanner Centre Idea

Postby skannie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:46 am

Hi Scanners. I’ve been very quiet online recently due to working on a big plan. Stage 1 is completed so there’s no going back. Now I have to make a decision very soon about stage 2 and I need your input, advice and encouragement before I do it.

After discovering I was a scanner several years ago, reading all Barbara Sher’s books and some others, and doing a lot of thinking, I decided to sell my flat in Bratislava last year because it wasn’t conducive to the kind of life I wanted. I don’t think a normal home for eating and sleeping and a few gentle pastimes suits me. I need my own personal scanner’s activity, education, research & fun centre, with lots of places indoors and out for doing different kinds of things, including sometimes noisy or messy stuff.

And I need other people around, preferably scanners, for conversations and motivation, and to prevent me sinking into reclusion whenever I’m under stress. I also need a new source of income because translation isn’t working out for me.

I did ok on the sale price of the flat, and I have a few debts but no mortgage. So my idea now is to buy a big old house with some land and outhouses in a cheap but beautiful part of Slovakia, and turn it into a residential Scanners centre. I’ve seen a place that could be suitable. A big 1940s house in a lovely small village not a huge distance from Bratislava & Vienna, and quite close to the Czech border.

But resistance or fear or good sense or something is preventing me making a decision. It is very big, and would take most of the money I have, and it will need some immediate repairs and ongoing maintenance. So I need to know, is it a viable idea or crazy? Would you come to it or would I be stuck there all alone? Would any of you help by coming to a big fixing up and idea party? (More feasible for people living in Europe.) Would you pay to stay there if it’s not up to hotel standard? It’ll be more like a big family home with retro fittings and furnishings and a bit crumbly in places, at least to start with. And there are cellars and sheds full of all sorts of old things to investigate.

If you would come, would you prefer just to hang out with me and other scanners and do interesting stuff, or would you want an organised programme? Maybe a bit of both? If I do run programmes they won’t be like a Barbara Sher retreat or programme because I don’t have her expertise and haven’t been officially trained by her. I would think of it as complementary to what she does rather than a substitute. Probably focusing more on practical stuff. Maybe an avocation stations day, a school day, an idea party, a display of daybooks and projects. Get the local people in to teach crafts. Teach each other stuff. Daytrips to interesting places & events etc. If there aren’t enough Scanners to make it viable I could also do residential English language coaching for Slovaks.

So do you think I should do it, or play safe and just buy myself a cottage with a garden and live off the extra money for a while?
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: My Scanner Centre Idea

Postby cshore knitter » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:44 am

I think that only you can make such a big decision about what to do in this situation. Your heart is probably the best guidance system available.

That being said, however, if there was someplace like that in the United States, it would probably be something that I would save my money to be able to visit. My preferences would run to more organized classes or presentations but still include enough "down time" for people to talk to each other or just be alone to digest what they had learned. Personally, I don't need 4 star hotel accomodations but I do like staying in places that are clean and function well - especially where plumbing is concerned! I would just love to be around people who are scanners like myself. There are many scanner issues that I am trying to sort out and live with and I've found that talking to others who are in the same boat as you are almost always results in some solutions to problems, or at the very least, some leads to follow up on.

Is there any way you can find out if there would be enough interest in your area to support your idea?

Good luck and please keep us posted on how your project is progressing!

Marlaine
cshore knitter
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Sinaloe » Mon May 14, 2012 6:21 am

Hello
I live in Europe and would be able to visit as a guest and would love to get in touch with scanners . I recently discovered that I am a scanner so I don't know any other scanners yet ! I don't need a hotel style accomondation, maybe you could just make a hostel or campground out of it? I would attend workshops if there would be some organised.

Good luck with you project
Sinaloe
New User
New User

Postby skannie » Thu May 17, 2012 10:14 am

Hi Sinaloe & cshore knitter.

Thanks for the encouragement. I also put a very similar post on Facebook and got a good response, so I’m going to go ahead with the idea. Some people said they would like workshops and some would prefer just to hang out with other scanners, and that suits me fine because I’d like a bit of both.

The big house I mentioned didn’t work out so I need to find another one. I was too busy solving other problems for a while to make much progress with it, but now I’ve started looking at houses again. The kind of property I can afford to buy will probably not be very clean or functional at first, but I’m hoping some of the more pioneering scanners, who don’t mind camping and roughing it a bit, will volunteer to come and help fix it up, and exchange ideas about what exactly to do with it.

Sinaloe, you’ll be very welcome to visit my centre when I have it. I’m delighted to see from another post that you live in Vienna, because I’m just across the Danube in Bratislava. I already know three other Scanners in and around Vienna, and one who often travels to this region, and we've had occasional meetups in Vienna and Bratislava. I also know two or three Scanners in Prague, and I’m now discovering some in Slovakia. Maybe we should organise a central European meetup someday soon.

Meanwhile, you can find other Scanners online if you use Facebook. There's a Facebook group for German-speaking Scanners called “Ich Bin Ein Scanner”. And you can join my “Scanner Tribe” group for people from many different parts of the world. Barbara Sher is also active on Facebook with a page and a personal profile, and of course many of her FB friends and fans are Scanners.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners