Overcoming Perfectionism & Fear of Rejection/Criticism

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Overcoming Perfectionism & Fear of Rejection/Criticism

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:24 am

You have (or had) a boss who wants you to write books? Tell us more!

Tituba said: People like my boss are among the herd of voices now shouting to get results first, damn perfection. In fact, one of his latest kicks is showing people how to write a book in iterations, publishing every draft in a short amount of time (such as every quarter) and having the readers help give feedback on how to improve the next iteration. It’s a very Web 2.0 (sorry, I hate using that term) world view; get it out first, then edit.

Hey, I’m not saying I approve, but it certainly is the way public discourse and business is going.[/quote]
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:01 pm

I think different situations require a different degree of quality. The trick is to figure out how good is "good enough." Most of the time, we don't need to be perfect, we just need to be good. And sometimes we don't even need to be good.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby emspace » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:40 pm

BarbaraSher wrote:You have (or had) a boss who wants you to write books? Tell us more!

Tituba said: People like my boss are among the herd of voices now shouting to get results first, damn perfection. In fact, one of his latest kicks is showing people how to write a book in iterations, publishing every draft in a short amount of time (such as every quarter) and having the readers help give feedback on how to improve the next iteration. It’s a very Web 2.0 (sorry, I hate using that term) world view; get it out first, then edit.

Hey, I’m not saying I approve, but it certainly is the way public discourse and business is going.

Hi Barbara. That was me, not Tituba, so I’m replying.

No, my boss doesn’t necessarily “want” me to write books. He wants our clients to write books. He’s focused on entrepreneurs as the drivers of society, so, while I’m sure he’d have no issues with me writing a book, he wouldn’t be interested in anything I’d have to write about since he wouldn’t think I’d have any intellectual capital worth sharing.

My boss thinks anyone who has run their own business for at least three years has enough wisdom to share with their potential clients. And when he says “book,” he doesn’t mean 300 pages, standard publishing contract. He means 40-100 pages, handbook size, lots of margin space and diagrammes if necessary, possibly including worksheets. Nothing too outrageous that will take too long to write.

He’s also created a framework for the clients to help outline the book contents, making it easier for them to figure out what essentially to to include, completely based on their own business, clients, process and so on. The idea is that the entrepreneur is writing a book for their cheque writers, not a general audience. In book form, their expertise on their subject will be solidified and help “sell” their products or services 24/7.

I’ve noticed so many online entrepreneurs writing books, manifestos, blog compilations and so forth, so I’m guessing that online marketing gurus everywhere are telling their clients to write books, too.
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby elizagard » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:42 pm

Pushing up because it's interesting.
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Previous

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners