Scanner Falls in Love with iPhone app

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Scanner Falls in Love with iPhone app

Postby krys10ann » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:13 pm

Hello,

I am 24 years old and have just finished reading Refuse to Choose, and I'm glad I did! After high school, where being a Scanner was actually encouraged ("Wow, you're so well-rounded!" my counselor told me.), I was stunned and confused when I went out into the Real World and found that it was quite the opposite. I was starting to feel like an aimless wanderer or a failure of some kind. Before using this technique, I would have so many ideas racing through my head that it felt nearly impossible for me to pick one to do right now, which left me mentally exhausted and caused me to do pretty much nothing at all.

Anyway, I've only been living my Scanner Life for a couple of weeks now, and here's what has worked best for me: I started with a schedule for my activities in order to give myself some direction, which was great; however, I learned quickly that, while a schedule works to keep me focused, what I truly love is the spontaneity of going from one interest to another and being free to spend as much time as I want on something.

So, I've kept the framework of my schedule intact, which keeps me on track with appointments, bills, meals, and other day-to-day stuff, but then (then!!!) I have created what I call a "Grab Bag" for myself, which is a list I made of all of the projects and activities and hobbies I want in my life. When I have free time, all I have to do is choose something (anything) from my Grab Bag.

BUT WAIT!!! It gets better! I found an iPhone app called "Random Master" ($1.99), which lets you create lists and then use the app to randomly select an item from your list. It's like pulling a name out of a hat! So, I made a list titled "Grab Bag," and whenever I have some free time that I can't decide what to do with, I simply click "Random Item", and out pops my next activity! I absolutely love it, and I think it is perfect for Scanners like me!
krys10ann
New User
New User

Re: Scanner Falls in Love with iPhone app

Postby Emmadilema » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:07 am

Thank you for your info about the app. I've just downloaded it, and I hope it help me too.

Kind regards,
Emmadilema
New User
New User

Re: Scanner Falls in Love with iPhone app

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:18 pm

Haha, I just saw this. Is there an app to create Free Time, as well? :)

Anyway, thanks for sharing your Grab Bag idea!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners