Do scanners love to work?

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Do scanners love to work?

Postby Annalena » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:20 am

I know I sure do, and always have, as long as it's challenging enough and varied.

I feel scanner would probably willing to work more and doe greater things in order to create what they imagine, if only they know how to and are motivated enough.

Any thoughts?
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Do scanners love to work?

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:20 pm

I would say that scanners love to learn more than we love to work. If the work involves learning, then, yes, we love to work, too.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:21 am

"Such an interesting question. Never thought about from this angle because so many Scanners suffer from being called 'lazy.' More specifically, they're told that they always give up when the work gets 'hard.'

I'm pretty sure that's not true. Things aren't hard for a Scanner unless they're boring -- and that makes them *too* hard for a Scanner. Like tedium, the feeling of having to watch paint dry or grass grow, 'slower than 10 miles of dirt road.'

But I think Scanners prefer to work at something interesting than to not work at all. Not working at all is pretty boring, too."

As evidence: how many of you, when required to do mindless work like washing the dishes, painting a room, scrubbing a floor, invent games to go along with it, find new ways to pile up dishes and think about action patterns, or pretend you're trying out action for your screenplay?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kathi7 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:45 am

wonder if anyone is still looking to answer this question being posted a bit time ago.
My problem these days is not being able to find a job period. I have alot of interests, as do you all!
but if Im not 'officially'working I dont feel I should be allowed to 'play' with any of them.
Id love to start numerous services but Im forever in the 'learning'stages. Connecting with others 'out there' to see if they'd like to join me (i.e. become an independent contractor to work with me in my pet sitting service) just doesnt happen. (I tend to worry of the legalities, the possibilities of getting sued somehow & losing the house...you see where this is going..excuses!!)
How does anyone get anything off the ground??
kathi7
New Poster
New Poster

Postby emspace » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:22 pm

kathi7 wrote:…Id love to start numerous services but Im forever in the 'learning' stages. … How does anyone get anything off the ground??

Great question. As a typical scanner, I have the problem of finishing anything I start. But as Barbara would say, I think it’s because my H-levels are highest when I’m learning something new, figuring out how something works for the first time, solving the puzzle. I’m also excited about new ideas and generate them constantly — I’m an Ideator (or so I like to think)! But there is a place for people like me; it’s just not easy to get a job being the Ideator. Many Ideators become entrepreneurs for that reason. Yes, that means the hassle of finding people to get equally excited about your idea and help you get it off the ground.

Sometimes, it takes being so committed to your idea, that when other people see you in action and hear you talk about it, they get so pumped, they ask to join you.

I’m trying to get a photography business off the ground, and I’m ready to go full throttle out of the gate. But it just doesn’t happen that way. Sometimes it takes luck running into the right “angel” to help you drum up word, get you promoted. I’m slowly making connections. People are slowly asking for my prices, probing me for information and availability. I know they want to help me, but they’re also interested in getting something from me, too. Of course, I want to charge people full rates off the top, but I also need to get more commissions to fill out the content on a website, too. So I have to bide my time and let some things go for barter right now. Most of these people are people I know, so I’m okay with giving them a deal. But in the future, when referrals or cold prospects ask, I will be asking for full fees. In the meantime, it is torture waiting for someone to say yes. And I’m paying for stuff that isn’t making me any money any time soon.

Luckily, I already have a stable and well-paying f/t job, so easing in to my own business, though not ideal, is acceptable. Still, I’m deeply in debt.

If I didn’t have a job at all, I would probably feel as stuck as you, Kathi7. Is there some way for you to start pet sitting now and getting known as the person to call for pet sitting? Is there some way you can be seen daily walking a bunch of dogs in high-pedestrian traffic areas?

As a scanner, it’s hard to take the usual advice to “immerse” yourself in something, but time and again, I have witnessed this approach working. When people see you doing something all the time, they will eventually ask you if you’re interested in doing it for them.

[Oh yeah, and I’ve recently had 4 ideas for iOS apps that I want to produce. Obstacle: I’m not an Object-C coder and I don’t know anyone who is. How do I get this app made? Well, the first thing is to really lay down my ideas, get some mockups, get some advice from app developers, etc. Getting the coding done is actually a long way from where I am now, so for me, letting that step stop me from getting things planned out is no excuse. When you know what you need, it’s easier to get it. So by the time I’m at the part where I need to get the app coded, I should know exactly what I need in a developer, how long it will take, how much it will cost me, if it’s even worth it at that point… But most of the fun (for me) is in the beginning stages of imagining.]
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Alexandra » Sat May 11, 2013 7:38 am

Newbie here, have thought of myself as lazy for a very long time; however, when interested and stimulated, I can be a very busy bee.
Alexandra
New User
New User

Postby PartTimeTed » Sun May 12, 2013 5:06 am

I think scanners love to work, at least I know I do.

I think it depends on how much you like the particular job. I must admit that I definitely prefer working on my scanner ideas rather than working at the day job I have had for so long. But, even my day job was once just another scanner idea that I came up with twenty years ago. I am much more excited about the new ideas than I am about the old ones. I guess that is normal though.

Do you like working with friends too?

I find it exceptionally gratifying to help a friend do some major home improvement project like build a garage or replace the roof on his house or something like that. I think it would be really cool to be able to work with your existing friends all the time as a way to earn a living.
PartTimeTed
New Poster
New Poster

Postby dramaticallycorrect » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:44 pm

I work 50-60 hours per week at my job and have two home businesses that take up most of the rest of my time. I read that I'm a plate-spinner and I love problem-solving more than learning for the sake of learning. My works' busy season often consists of 3-4 months of 70-100 hour weeks and I love, love, love it. I think it depends on what drives you--work for me just offers more puzzle solving opportunities than my home life.
dramaticallycorrect
New User
New User

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:02 am

Hi, Dramaticallycorrect,

That's impressive.

What kinds of projects do you work on? And is drama in the picture?

A comment about Barbara's Boards- There are so-o-o-o many different threads. Some of them have not been used in a long time. You might be the one to revitalize this one. If that doesn't happen, try posting on one of the other threads. Check the dates of the last posts to see if anyone is using the threads regularly. I hope you find a good fit somewhere here because it sounds as if you have a lot to offer, and we'd like to support you in what you're doing.

Good vibes to you.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:12 am

dramaticallycorrect wrote:I work 50-60 hours per week at my job and have two home businesses that take up most of the rest of my time. I read that I'm a plate-spinner and I love problem-solving more than learning for the sake of learning. My works' busy season often consists of 3-4 months of 70-100 hour weeks and I love, love, love it. I think it depends on what drives you--work for me just offers more puzzle solving opportunities than my home life.

I do understand. :-) What kind of work are you doing that you love, Dramatically Correct?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:16 am

Elaine Glimme wrote:A comment about Barbara's Boards- There are so-o-o-o many different threads. Some of them have not been used in a long time. You might be the one to revitalize this one. If that doesn't happen, try posting on one of the other threads. Check the dates of the last posts to see if anyone is using the threads regularly. I hope you find a good fit somewhere here because it sounds as if you have a lot to offer, and we'd like to support you in what you're doing.

Good vibes to you.

Hear, hear. I'm planning to help revitalize this one forum, fyi. I think I'll only go in the others to find Scanner-related posts.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby NowIknow » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:02 am

SquarePeg wrote:I would say that scanners love to learn more than we love to work. If the work involves learning, then, yes, we love to work, too.

I just read up to the above comment and totally agree. It depends on what activity under the words "work". If Party MC is my work I could go on and on just like when I was studying in the university. If a theater play production and designing costume for a play is work I would love to work too. :D
NowIknow
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:50 am

An important point!

Define your terms, please, you who asked this question: What is work? Or, to be more reasonable, what did you mean by work when you first asked this question?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:43 pm

Barbara Sher wrote:
Hear, hear. I'm planning to help revitalize this one forum, fyi. I think I'll only go in the others to find Scanner-related posts.[/quote]

Yay!!

I love HO, and I've met some great friends and gotten wonderful support there. But for day to day support - success team style - it's the Boards that I turn to. I used to feel a little disloyal to HO for liking the Boards so much. Anyway, I'll steer any likely scanners to this topic.

As for me, I think I was more of a scanner when I was younger. I still love learning new things, but I struggle with technology, and that's a major stumbling block. I just wish technology would hold still for a while and let me catch up.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners