Depleted scanner – is there such a thing?

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Depleted scanner – is there such a thing?

Postby MultiTalentedSwede » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:52 am

Dear fellow scanners,

I have always followed my dreams. Just recently i heard about Scanners, read Refuse to Choose, and suddenly everything started to make much more sense.

I have tried many different sports, such as martial arts, ice hockey, cross country running, volleyball, paragliding and more.

I have had at leats 10 different careers. For example, electrical engineer, computer programmer, taxi driver, CV consultant, business charter pilot, teacher, night porter at a hotel and so on and so forth.

Hobbies... mm, far too many to list: golf, playing music/singing, movies, business mingles

and... yes. Speaking of business. I currently run two different companies (self employed). One for private math tutoring, another one for boat charter tours and boat training.

So! Now I feel like "Been there, done that" (I think many of you might recognize that feeling). What more is there to do? I feel I have tried following so many paths in my pursuit to find something to do (an occupation, to make a living, to found a partner in life). Any suggestions where to go from here? Nothing feels very tempting at the moment.
MultiTalentedSwede
New User
New User

Re: Depleted scanner – is there such a thing?

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:39 pm

Welcome!

When I was only half way through reading your post, I thought that maybe you could focus less activities and occupations and more on people and relationships.

But when I read closely, it seems as though some of your activity involves people.

So now I can just partly commiserate with you. "Partly" because I'm physically exhausted from all the effort life requires. What I do is I allow myself to be bored. I actually enjoy that. Not to make a living of it, though. I'm referring to hobbies / spare time activity.

Before closing I'll just add: The Dali Lama has stated that the way to true happiness is through service to others.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Depleted scanner – is there such a thing?

Postby emspace » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:16 pm

SquarePeg wrote:The Dali Lama has stated that the way to true happiness is through service to others.

Wise words, SquarePeg. I know this is a tough sell in an age of self-enlightenment, but I know of people who are constantly struggling with “finding” themselves, struggling to harmonise with a difficult past, with difficult relationships, always circling in on their own stress and worries, maybe struggling with boredom. I did too, once.

Now, I do volunteer in my community, and it does help me focus less on my own “first world problems”. It also keeps me grateful of what I have, the endless opportunities I have, that I am free to choose to do things that interest me. Many people don’t have the luxuries that I do. I know that. I appreciate what I have. I am happy with what I have.
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners