Sacha Chua on Passion and Uncertainty

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Sacha Chua on Passion and Uncertainty

Postby SquarePeg » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:31 am

Sacha Chua, a modern day Renaissance Woman, discusses Passion from a Scanner POV in a recent blog post:

http://sachachua.com/blog/2013/03/passi ... certainty/
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Sacha Chua on Passion and Uncertainty

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:25 pm

I was going to say, this girl looks like she's 16, what does she know? ... but she says she's 29. A little better. :)

Good point about the certainty, I think that's what a lot of it is. It always was for me, it seems.

The other problem with finding a passion and locking it into permanency, is you don't know how long you're going to be able to do it. Not that you have to hedge your bets on everything you do, but talents and skills might fade or become impossible to do (mostly to do with our failing bodies as we age).

Whether you fall out of love with a passion, or your body "falls out", remain open-minded, I guess, or accommodate the passion in a different way using different abilities.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:38 am

There is almost a Zen-like undertone -- the idea of impermanence of passion.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Alexandra » Sat May 11, 2013 7:56 am

[quote="Scenario Thinker"]I
The other problem with finding a passion and locking it into permanency, is you don't know how long you're going to be able to do it. Not that you have to hedge your bets on everything you do, but talents and skills might fade or become impossible to do (mostly to do with our failing bodies as we age).quote]

Nothing is permanant. You could have the best job in the world, have focused all your attention on a single issue all your adult life, then one day - you drop down dead - quickly, painlessly, but never the less, dead. We hear about it all the time, people who have sudden heart attacks, brain tumours, aneurisms. ( I personally know people who have died suddenly from these). Of course some talents fade, how do you think top athletes feel when it's all over for them? They end up selling undies or perfume! Female actors get less work as their 'beauty' fades, people have serious, body traumatising accidents and can never do their chosen work again, so why should we scanners worry about things fading, we're lucky, we can go in multiple directions. As for passion -it could be said to be over rated, passion is generally brief, explosive, all consuming, exciting and thrilling; commitment is for permanancy, love is for permanancy, application and consistency can be permanant.
Alexandra
New User
New User

Postby emspace » Mon May 20, 2013 9:53 am

Alexandra
Alexandra wrote:As for passion -it could be said to be over rated, passion is generally brief, explosive, all consuming, exciting and thrilling; commitment is for permanancy, love is for permanancy, application and consistency can be permanant.

Right, but that's the problem for most Scanners: commitment. I can't speak for other Scanners but for myself, staying committed and consistent with just one thing for very long is soul shrivelling. I agree that passion is overrated, but so, IMO, is consistency or constancy. Living in a world that is always changing means adaptation is critical.
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Thinker » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:14 pm

Isn't our "passion" scanning ? But if I was pushed to name my passion, I would say it is learning - about everything and anything that takes my fancy. So passion is probably an umbrella term with so many ways of working it ?

I think Barbara made it clear in her book 'Refuse to Choose" that we don't have commitment issues, just a whole heap of curiosities. I was so electrified to read that my unfinished objects were not a blot on my life at all - just things I began, found out how they worked and then moved on. It also helped me see how hard it was to finish a course that I did, fortunately encouraged to press on by a friend. I finished a certificate course but I never used it afterwards !! I was thinking that this non-completion was a bad pattern for me and then I realised some things just don't rate that much.

So I am enjoying all my various learnings now. I use that information to pass on to others when they have something going on that I have studied and this is very helpful. I see it has a positive light. Also, my failed "career" life of a good enough job truly did let me concentrate on learning all I could - in the field of parenting for example. It was a passion while the kids were young, and then discovering the life that I brought my sons up for was not the one they would lead due to cultural changes and so there was more to discover..............yes, a passion for learning sits okay with me.
Thinker
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners